The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm 
Hoagland-esque

My problem is, if God can accept everyone then why can he not accept gays and lesbians? He made them that way for a reason. God would never call his son a faggot or his daughter a dyke would he?!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 am 
Shadow Person

:P :roll: Jehovah's Witnesses came to visit me recently to try to convert me ! They're not gonna get me.....I won't let them !!!!!!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:34 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
:P :roll: Jehovah's Witnesses came to visit me recently to try to convert me ! They're not gonna get me.....I won't let them !!!!!!! :twisted:

When I was a little kid, me and bunch of kids were bored one day, and one of those dudes came by, so we all listened to his whole sales pitch. A few days later he came back to bring us all bibles. I remember all our parents being super pissed off at us all for talking to him in the first place. We thought maybe it was because we were talking to a stranger, but no, they were just mad because they thought these guys would never stop coming back to do their thing.

That reminds me of another story from that time period involving someone trying to convert us kids. This one was funny to me even then.

I lived in a shady area of Toronto at the time, and one day me and some kids were walking to the store for some candy, and this older kid, about 14 came up to us and asked if we liked video games. Of course we said yes. We had all seen those vids about drugs and stuff, and it seemed like this was right out of one of those vids, but we listened to him anyways. The older kid told us that if we went to this place next to the store, we would get to play all the video games we wanted. So we checked it out, and sure enough, there were tons of arcade games, pool tables, ping pong, board games, etc. It was a kids dream.

We played some games, and after a while the older kid came back and said that if we wanted to keep playing games there, we needed to go talk to some guy in another part of this wonderland. We walked into another room and seen pews and crosses and all the things you would find in a church. The man turned out to be a Pastor, or preacher or something. Anyways, he told us that if we all signed up for Sunday school, we could come back anytime and play the games. We all signed up, sounded like a good deal.

The first Sunday came, and man, that shit was boring. But it was a small price to pay for unlimited games right? WRONG... Every time we went to the games part, the door was locked. We continued to go there for a few more weeks, and every time, that door was locked. Then one Sunday we discovered that all the games were now GONE! We all got hosed. That was my last Sunday I spent there. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 am 
Y2K Profiteer

IchBinAu├čerirdischen wrote:
My problem is, if God can accept everyone then why can he not accept gays and lesbians? He made them that way for a reason. God would never call his son a faggot or his daughter a dyke would he?!

A God to us would be any kind of type 3 to 5 civilization. Pretty sure they don't even know we exist let alone judge gays or lesbians.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:09 am 
Hoagland-esque

Such a promising thread title, but the question is such a small fish in the sea of Christianity's problems. Is that your only issue with Christianity? If the Bible said God accepted gays, would you jump on the bandwagon, and start believing all the rest of the fairy tale? I hope not. There are much larger holes in the doctrine than that.

Start with this one. God is supposed to create an eternal paradise for us, right? Heaven? The problem is, he's tried to create paradises twice before, and has failed. He's 0 for 2. I mean, in the beginning, everything was perfect before Lucifer decided to rebel against God, taking a third of the angels with him. Whoops, 0 for 1. Then, God creates the garden of Eden, right? The quintessential paradise. But that goes wrong too. 0 for 2. You can see why I don't have great confidence in His getting it right the third time.

But you might say "Well, that only happened because both Lucifer and Adam had free will, and could choose to do wrong." Precisely. Why would Heaven be any different? The fundamental paradox remains. If people are given free will, they can choose to do wrong. Therefore, you cannot have both a paradise and free will. It's one or the other. The other option, of course, is that in Heaven people won't have free will. God, somehow, makes them want to do only good. The problem with that is, good ceases to be good if it's your only choice. In other words, good is only good because you had the option to choose wrong, and did not. Enforced goodness loses all moral value.

And so on and so on. This is all terribly self-evident, I'm just bored late at night so I'll spell it out for fun. But the bottom line is, Christianity is not plausible in any sense. It's so wrong, the only way anyone can believe it is to switch off all critical thinking skills. Or, more realistically, choose not to apply those skills to their belief. Which is exactly what happens. I've known lots of very intelligent Christians, who are professionals or educators or whatever, who simply do not apply the critical thinking skills they use in every other area of life to their belief in Christianity. It's amazing really, you can actually tell the moment it switches off. If you ask a Christian even easy questions like those above, you will see a moment of struggle as the rational mind attempts to answer, and then there's a very noticeable glazing of the eyes, and they will robotically quote a Bible verse. They've made the switch. How they live with that much cognitive dissonance, I don't know. It's almost admirable.

Anyway, I'm actually not an atheist, and I have my own thoughts about the questions I posed above, which I'll keep to myself unless asked.