The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:12 am 
CFR Fat Cat

Fazer wrote:
There is no proof of a god.

There is no proof of tomorrow either, but I chose to believe in it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:25 am 
Y2K Profiteer

circledancer wrote:
Fazer wrote:
There is no proof of a god.

Yesterday is the proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:51 am 
Oil Industry Executive

There are way, way too many unanswered questions about this universe (which in and of itself is so amazing and complex I could never for one second believe that it's a cosmic accident) for me not to believe in something bigger than ourselves.

That said, my beliefs are extremely difficult to explain. Short version: I believe in a creator, question the level of interaction it has had with humanity (I personally believe very little to none), and believe it to be something so ineffable that any attempt to personify or humanize it is misguided, as it is something far outside the reach of our understanding..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 am 
British Royal

circledancer wrote:

And there was a time people had their hearts cut out and offered to a god so that tomorrow would come.

Today we know about planet rotation and the science behind the days changing. This allows us to accurately measure and predict time and the coming day. Without such proof that tomorrow would come, we'd all pray every time we set our alarm clocks.

So yes, there is proof of tomorrow. It's predictable, reliable, measurable and hasn't failed in billions of years.

There is still no proof of god.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:44 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

vadersp wrote:
circledancer wrote:

And there was a time people had their hearts cut out and offered to a god so that tomorrow would come.

Today we know about planet rotation and the science behind the days changing. This allows us to accurately measure and predict time and the coming day. Without such proof that tomorrow would come, we'd all pray every time we set our alarm clocks.

So yes, there is proof of tomorrow. It's predictable, reliable, measurable and hasn't failed in billions of years.

As I said, define your terms. A big guy sitting on a throne in the sky? The Ineffable Spagetti Monster? What?

Oscar (and many others) have had "experiences" which go beyond what we in our society understand or can explain using our current materialist paradigm. Evidence reported by many rational observers is ignored at the cost of denying the existence of an important facet of truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm 
Member of the Federal Reserve

tauzero wrote:
As I said, define your terms. A big guy sitting on a throne in the sky? The Ineffable Spagetti Monster? What?

Oscar (and many others) have had "experiences" which go beyond what we in our society understand or can explain using our current materialist paradigm. Evidence reported by many rational observers is ignored at the cost of denying the existence of an important facet of truth.

boy, I hope you didn't just call Oscar "rational"! :wink:

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:18 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

tauzero wrote:
vadersp wrote:
circledancer wrote:

Vader like to act like he stands on high ground when he denies there is a God.
When he really does know there is a God... he probably reads the bible every night. :P

and has forgotten the gift.”
-- Albert Einstein --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:35 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

It's really odd to worship something that doens't exist. Like even if there was a type 5 civilization that created our universe. Do you really think they need to be worshipped? They never visit us anymore or call. I don't think we turned out like they planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:38 pm 

Fazer wrote:
It's really odd to worship something that doens't exist. Like even if there was a type 5 civilization that created our universe. Do you really think they need to be worshipped? They never visit us anymore or call. I don't think we turned out like they planned.

they're probably disappointed in us

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:47 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Fazer wrote:
They never visit us anymore or call.

They called me once. They asked if my refridgerator was running.

I told them that actually, no, it wasn't. And they said "Oh, well....good luck with that." and hung up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 pm 

Orpheus wrote:
Fazer wrote:
They never visit us anymore or call.

They called me once. They asked if my refridgerator was running.

I told them that actually, no, it wasn't. And they said "Oh, well....good luck with that." and hung up.

really!?! - yeah, they're like that.

I was working in a liquor store and they called one night asking if I had Prince Albert in a can.

I said "Yes, we do", and they suggested I let him out before he suffocated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm 
British Royal

I've read the bible quite a bit actually. It helps knowing what it says when people try to convince me there's a god. It surprises me how little most religious people know about what the bible actually says. Most people seem to be TV/movie or "word-of-mouth" taught about religion.

The more I've read the bible, the more it convinced me I'm right about being an atheist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:58 pm 

vadersp wrote:
I've read the bible quite a bit actually. It helps knowing what it says when people try to convince me there's a god.

people actually do that?!? that seems about as useless at trying to convince a homosexual that it's a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 pm 
British Royal

tauzero wrote:

Experience? Dream? Hallucination? Drugs? Mental disorder? There's many explanations for what someone would call an experience, that's pretty vague. There are so called rational observers that worship a piece of toast because they can see the face of Jesus in it, it doesn't make it evidence of god.

If there's a god, all he has to do is give the world some old fashioned undeniable proof. Back in the day we had burning bushes, water walking, dead rising, booming voices from the sky, people turned into salt, wall destroying trumpets, people parting water, and all sorts of wacky stuff.

It's been pretty dry for the last 2000 years as far as evidence goes. All he'd have to do is shout down from the sky so everyone could hear.

God used to reveal himself all the time. Is it a coincidence that as the age of reason and science came along the miracles stopped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:23 pm 
British Royal

Austin Nichols wrote:
people actually do that?!? that seems about as useless at trying to convince a homosexual that it's a choice.

:shock:
OK, you confused the hell out of me there. Are you calling me gay? Or are you saying you think homosexuality is a choice?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next