The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:35 pm 
British Royal

This was brought up in another post, directed to Oldman. He didn't reply so I pose the question to everyone.

A favorite quote of bible thumpers to spread their bigotry towards homosexuals is Leviticus. If you are going to use that as an excuse to spread hatred, then you must also support murdering disobedient children since it is in Deuteronomy.

I'd like to hear how many of you have or know of anyone that has offered their children to be stoned by your town elders.

Or, please explain how you can pick and choose to follow one part of the bible and ignore another? You can't have it both ways, you either follow the bible as a whole, or you do not. I know it's a conundrum since the bible is so full of contradictions, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 pm 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

I definitely see your point.... and I dont think its the inspired word of God.... but Id find it more interesting to see if an author(when you can verify one) ever contradicts himself... not just another author). I never looked at it from that view.

Of course all contradictions between old and new testament are not really valid, since old testament is old jewish law, and the new testament is post-old jewish law.

Though im not posting on this much more, this conversation could go on forever and get absolutely nowhere lol, its all on faith.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:17 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

vadersp wrote:
This was brought up in another post, directed to Oldman. He didn't reply so I pose the question to everyone.

A favorite quote of bible thumpers to spread their bigotry towards homosexuals is Leviticus. If you are going to use that as an excuse to spread hatred, then you must also support murdering disobedient children since it is in Deuteronomy.

I'd like to hear how many of you have or know of anyone that has offered their children to be stoned by your town elders.

Or, please explain how you can pick and choose to follow one part of the bible and ignore another? You can't have it both ways, you either follow the bible as a whole, or you do not. I know it's a conundrum since the bible is so full of contradictions, but I'd like to hear opinions.

This conversation has been around for literally centuries, so here's the short version:

It never ends by convincing anyone of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:25 pm 
British Royal

I'm not really expecting to change anyone's mind. It just amazes me how people can take one part of the bible and use it to promote hatred (this IS the same bible who's words once legitimized slavery) and then ignore another part of the bible, usually saying "well, that's OLD testament".

I just want to know how people, Oldman in particular can justify that kind of thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm 
Merovingian

Is that from the New Testament or the Old Testament?

That's usually the answer you will get. If its from the Old Testament - it doesn't count.

But aren't these old testament? Leviticus 18:22, KJV, and Leviticus 20:13, KJV.

-----------------------

I find this to be a very interesting take on the subject:

In the previous essay we looked at fertility cults. You will remember that the most primitive fertility cults believed that they had to instruct the spirit of the land what to do. They did this by imitating the results they wanted. This, in anthropology today, is called sympathetic magic. If you honestly believe that the land must be instructed, there are implications which are far reaching. Suppose the land got confused? What might confuse it? How about sexual congress where the seed gets planted but does not grow? What kind of sexual congress would this be?

Remember, in our examination of these two passages above, that we noted the prohibition of homosexuality was gender specific, that is that it condemned Homo-genital contact between men but had nothing to say about women. There is a very good reason for this. When two women participate in Homo-genital contact, no "seed" is planted. Since no "seed" is planted, it does not imitate the planting process and therefor will not confuse the spirit of the land.

Of course we have a much different understanding of this today. We realize that no seed is planted in regular sexual congress. Instead, the sperm, like the pollen, fertilizes the egg cell and this becomes like the seed. This process is more like pollination than like planting. However, the ancients didn't realize that the woman contributed half of the genetic material to the embryo. They didn't realize that the sex act was more like something that occurred long after planting, after the plants came to maturity. In their limited basis of understanding, the sex act was like planting in that the "seed" was put in the place where it would grow and mature.

http://www.geocities.com/uthurs_alcove/gay/twotwo.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:31 am 
Hoagland-esque

I call them cherry picking christians. I'm not religious at all but I heard there was another saying in the bible that if you want to walk with jesus christ you must give up all you worldly possessions. But you know they won't do that either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:13 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

When you pay 10 bucks for a ticket to a movie, 6 bucks for a popcorn and 5 more for a Coke, then the movie is ruined for you by kids screaming I go for the killing of them lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:38 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Throw all those religious books out in the trash and we'd have a much better world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 am 
Merovingian

redsonsuperman wrote:
Throw all those religious books out in the trash and we'd have a much better world.

I agree. Even though I believe there are truths in ancient writings.

Ancient writings were translated and interpreted from the already bias belief of Man's religion.

IMO - Religion itself is Man Made - - - injected with Man's own fears and prejudices.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

vadersp wrote:

It had to do with Israel and what they considered God's law.
That particular verse has to with inheritance and a way to get rid of a son you didn't want to inherit your legacy.

Jesus pretty much called them out on most of their law when he called them hypocrites and told them they strain at gnats, while ignoring the plank in their own eye. (kind of like our current Government and Priests)
And told them that the greatest commandments were to Love God with all your heart mind and soul. And to Love your neighbor as you would yourself.... and he said all other commandments just expanded on these two principles.

That would include gays and any other person.
I don't think he would condone compromising your own personal morals as a part of that Love. Just a blind love for your fellow man.

Bush - Cheney Love Iran so much, they want to nuke them all.

This might not be a very good answer, but it's nice to see such interest from you in the bible. :P

and has forgotten the gift.”
-- Albert Einstein --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:05 pm 
British Royal

I've always been interested in the bible from the standpoint of trying to understand why people believe it. That goes for all religions, not just the bible though. I really don't get it.

If you asked someone if they think there are unicorns, dragons and satyrs (they're in the bible incidentally) they'd usually answer "Of course not, its mythology". Many of those same people can just accept all the ridiculous stories in the bible as fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Consider it a mixture of history, myth, moral teachings and attempted descriptions of things the witnesses didn't understand. Many years ago John Campbell did an article about Ezekiel; he thought the"wheels" were the best a tribesman of that time could do to describe a helicopter and the "angel with 4 faces" was someone in a bubble helmet with an oxygen mask and big earphones. Time travelers? How would a primitive herdsman describe an encounter with technology? God and his angels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:53 pm 
British Royal

I'm not really debating the bible & trying to interpret it. I'm just trying to understand how you can use one part as the literal instruction of god to hate people, then ignore another part completely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:34 am 
Y2K Profiteer

I thought it was funny when plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:08 am 
British Royal

Well, do you expect the bible to make sense? :lol: