The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: America Unearthed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

Ok I'll admit that I'm behind on this one since I don't watch a lot of TV. However last night I watched part of a show called America Unearthed. I find the idea of people building structures before Columbus arriving just fascinating. Having been born near where the Kensington Runestone was found, the idea of Columbus not discovering the new world has always been interesting to me. Anyone else have thoughts on this show (ie actually good or just BS)? The internet is awash w/ opinions about what Wolter reports on for the show.

Post subject: Re: America Unearthed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I think most of it is BS. He does resurrect evidence that was long ago debunked and misconnects data point. Jason Colavito has a pet peeve with this show: http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog.html.

Colavito is pretty critical and even thinks the show is racist (read the above blog to see how he develops the argument). In principle I don't see anything wrong with the possibility of pre-Columbian contact. the Vikings were certainly in the New World before Columbus, and a Smithsonian anthropologist thinks the Solutirans were too.

Anyway, you're right about it being a fascinating topic. I doubt most of Wolter's speculations and conclusions though. Pretty cool to see his hands on approach though. In season one he did DNA tests, drilled for the treasure and came up short, etc. He goes further than most UFO investigators do on TV and gets his hands dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am 
C2C Annual Guest

Thanks, I was sort of thinking that would be the case. I always hope that we have a real show come out w/ minimal scripting and real scientists hoping to educate, not just hope to be the next star or build their businesses. Had this been offered as a possible career path when I left high school I would have been all over it.

What would also be great to see would be a review of the In Search Of series to see what has been studied, debunked, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Well, I know one thing that is getting real scientific attention, though very limited, is the Brown Mountain lights. There is a similar phenomenon in Norway being studied by a scientist there. Sorry, I don't have the links handy and am too tired to search. I thinkk I downloaded a video about that from either Youtube or www.tudou.com (it's in Chinese, but you can search in English, I recommend National Geographic, 国家地理, or Discovery as search terms and go through the thumbnails).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

I wonder if there is any similarity to the Paulding Lights in Wisconsin?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I have to say I've always liked Wolter.

I've read his books.

My greatest interest in unknown has veered toward many of the topics Walter has discussed.

And the great thing about his show is he's actually showing you on film things that you may have read about but rarely ever see.

The episode with the copper mines in Michigan was AMAZING.

Some of the shows have been duds though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am 
C2C Annual Guest

The more unknown locations are what caught my attention. When I saw the show name I figured it would be another show about underground tunnels in DC or something. What was discussed was something that I'd never heard of. I'll try watching more and just take it w/ a grain of salt. I suppose I could just pop into his office since his business is near me LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm 
Hoagland-esque

That Michigan copper mine show was his best. But you're right: he does prompt one to research. Unfortunately he's almost always off or completely wrong/mistaken about his speculations and conclusions, but I learned a helluva lot from the show just by following up topics on my own.