The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:06 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

They call my generation "the pig in the python", that big bump inside the snake you can't miss as it works it's way down. Hula hoops and Elvis and Roy Rogers-we grew up at a great time.
But golly there are a lot of us and what a burden we can be!

I have an idea that I can't prove (LBJ and those other big guys being deceased)

Part 1 of my theory- is that the War in Vietnam, was contrived to ward off a recession caused by the Boomer generation all entering the work force at the same time. Sort of a WPA style Communism Fighting Project. There was the Draft, student deferments no longer allowed, and so a whole bunch of young men went into the military for varying lengths of time. Afterwards a lot of them went to college with the GI Bill , which delayed their search for full time employment even longer. By the mid-70's, when we were out of Vietnam, we did have a recession, also wild inflation and those oh so wonderful gas lines! But by that time, the oldest of Boomers, approaching 30 had found work, got educated and commenced buying their first homes- sometimes at 15/17% interest in the early 1980's!

We might also cause another Conspiracy, or a social crisis perhaps, that I'll call "The Big Goodbye" (after the STNext Gen episode of the same name.)
The 45 million of us are getting old at roughly the same time. Who wants to work forever? I'm hoping to take the Social Security at 62 and find a trailer park in a nice warm place!

But wait, the banks are in trouble. People have been losing everything in their mutual fund 401ks. So a lot of them won't be able to retire at 62 or even 65. They'll have to keep working-paying into the Social Security. They've been talking about reforming Soc Security for the past 30 years and never seemed to get around to it.
A lot of people are going to be too broke to ever live La Vida Loca.

Another problem is going to be taking care of millions of infirm, sick or demented old people. The Adult Day Care centers are going to look like warehouses! I think it''s going to make Americans (providing Planet X hasn't crashed into us by then :o ) think a lot about "Quality of Life". There might be more sympathy for the idea of euthanasia. There will certainly be a lot less medical interventions for the elderly. Especially with a healthcare program like Medicare (and the taxpayers) paying the bills.

As an old broad with health issues, I find this totally scary!

Years ago, I read a psychic reading (Edgar Cayce style, but not his) that said most of the American Boomers were Atlanteans who'd chosen to come back with their known companions to work on our Karmic issues and spread rebellious mayhem. Who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:45 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Doriesaurus wrote:
Years ago, I read a psychic reading (Edgar Cayce style, but not his) that said most of the American Boomers were Atlanteans who'd chosen to come back with their known companions to work on our Karmic issues and spread rebellious mayhem. Who knows?

Darn Atlanteans, messing everything up again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I'm bumping this because I think it's happening now.

There isn't enough money for Social Security and Medicare. Even the thrifty ants that have been socking money away in IRA's are trembling because nobody is sure if the banking system is going to hold together.

One of the pitches real estate salesmen always use is buying a house "is the best investment you'll ever make" Used to be true- when has real estate gone down? Um- now? So that's another issue- people were counting on that equity to finance the vacation condo.
I have in-laws whose circumstances changed and realized they couldn't afford to retire and stay in their house. So they put it on the market, dropped the price a couple times and still no offers. Finally, they walked away from it just to get on with their lives. All those years of interest payments and nothing to show for it!

Maybe nobody said, "what are we going to do about all those pesky Atlanteans?" But it seems that the American Dream has been downsized for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:22 pm 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

May I suggest this as the answer to the problem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan's_Run

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Clendennan wrote:
May I suggest this as the answer to the problem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan's_Run

Heehee! One of my very favorite episodes of StarTrek: The Next Generation is called "Half a Life" About a world where the culture has decided that aging and physical failing is repugnant. So on your 60th birthday, everybody comes to your big party and celebrates your life and accomplishments. Then the birthday kid goes upstairs and drinks the Kool-Aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm 
First Time Caller Line

Logans run it was 3o years old
I had a longer reply but when I googled Logans Run I lost my post
Take care all
Got to go out a stack firewood ..... get it out of front yard
I scavaged neighborhood after the strong winds from several Sundays ago
Yeah they are looking for other ways besides High Fructose corn syrup and vaccinations and chemtrails and sheeple tv watching, lack of minerals in soil cause of no crop rotation and no population control incentives etc
Bailing out the fat cats, starting more wars for our USAs empire Greed abounds us To get rid of us Baby boomers
Ill get off soap box now
Take care all
Jean

Last edited by jwedding on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:25 am 
Y2K Profiteer

That's a good theory about Nam, but the reason I believe it continued was LBJ's killing of JFK for the Military Industrial Complex. JFK wanted to end our involvment in Nam and we couldn't have that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:23 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I heard on the news that the average 401k has lost about 30% of it's value in the last 18 months.
That's going to delay retirement for a lot of people. Or they'll have to live on a smaller scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:13 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

I remember the good ole days in the ninety's when my 401k was making 40 to 60% interest. Glad I took it all out a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:36 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Remember 20 years ago when you could get like 14% interest in a money market? Now it's 3.5%! (conspiracy I tell ya!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:42 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

20 years ago, I was getting 8% interest at my credit union. Now it's like .75%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:10 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Fazer wrote:
20 years ago, I was getting 8% interest at my credit union. Now it's like .75%.

Pretty soon they'll start charging you to put your money in an account.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:51 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Doriesaurus wrote:
Then the birthday kid goes upstairs and drinks the Kool-Aid.

Right.. and if he refuses to?? What then? and these days.. as they say, "60 is the new 40". Looking at pictures of my parents,.. I look younger than they did when they were 10 years younger than I am now! Check out some of your old family pics and you might notice the same.. depending on the generations involved.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:54 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Doriesaurus wrote:
I heard on the news that the average 401k has lost about 30% of it's value in the last 18 months.
That's going to delay retirement for a lot of people. Or they'll have to live on a smaller scale.

The weird thing is that in various organizations that I belong to, .. the investments, money market funds, bonds and so forth lost perhaps as much as 40% of their value in 2008 and most of them have gained it all back by now.. but my personal experience and what other people have told me does not indicate the economy in general is doing any better. ..strange ..