The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:30 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
http://wisewhiteowl.com/yahoo_site_admi ... 03_std.jpg
A Snowy White Owl with Blue Eyes .

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOT ... hickey.jpg
A Barred Owl


Last edited by MYSTERYMAN on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DxVYFSdJ2-A/T ... rn-owl.jpg
A Barn Owl in Flight .UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING PICTURE !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.barnswallow.net/images/OwlPh ... eechLG.jpg
2 Screech Owls .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harfang_en_vol_1.jpg
A Snowy White Owl Attacking It's Prey .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
MYSTERYMAN wrote:
http://wisewhiteowl.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/whiteowl1_420x315.282162803_std.jpg
A Snowy White Owl with Blue Eyes .

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOT ... hickey.jpg
A Barred Owl


A Snowy Owl with blue eyes... As if they could be anymore beautiful. Recessive trait? I wonder. Thanks MM!

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:07 am 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
http://www.bobnaturephoto.com/main.php?g2_itemId=684
A Male Cardinal with Blossoms


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
MYSTERYMAN wrote:
http://www.bobnaturephoto.com/main.php?g2_itemId=684
A Male Cardinal with Blossoms

I've always loved the Cardinal, it's our state bird. Cardinals even grace the license plates on two of our cars.

http://scottk1.tripod.com/fsOH-1999-WLa-970WAY.jpg[/url]

Not my plate...:)

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
MM,

I hope you like this one:


Attachments:
File comment: Glowing Eyes!
Barred-Owl-at-Twilight.jpg
Barred-Owl-at-Twilight.jpg [ 73.04 KiB | Viewed 3039 times ]

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:48 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
MM,

And this one I'm pretty proud of:


Attachments:
File comment: Look who came to visit
Red-Tailed-Hawk.jpg
Red-Tailed-Hawk.jpg [ 39.36 KiB | Viewed 3034 times ]

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
Mr Owl wrote:
MM,

I hope you like this one:


8) WOW !!! Great owl shot ! You took this one ?
It would be scary to see those eyes in person !!!

8) Great Hawk shot as well !!!
MM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
Why so scary? Actually, the neighbor girl took the Barred Owl photo. A lot of old growth trees back in that part of the forest. I've had one of our owls land on a branch not six feet away from me. Of course he/she was being mobbed by crows, but still. You should hear them hoot and holler at night! It sounds like they're having a party!

The Red Tail photo is mine. The crows try to mob them and live to regret it. I've witnessed such an event and the Red Tails came out of the woods in force to defend one of their own. It was breath taking to witness.

I almost forgot, but I wanted to tell you that a Peregrine Falcon buzzed me not six to eight feet above my head a few days ago while I was outside with my son. It then flew up and landed in a tree nearby. I feel truly blessed to live where we do. I've seen so many of God's creatures that I had before only dreamed of seeing. Birders Heaven! I have more pics too. Bluebirds anyone?

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
Mr Owl wrote:
Why so scary? Actually, the neighbor girl took the Barred Owl photo. A lot of old growth trees back in that part of the forest. I've had one of our owls land on a branch not six feet away from me. Of course he/she was being mobbed by crows, but still. You should hear them hoot and holler at night! It sounds like they're having a party!

The Red Tail photo is mine. The crows try to mob them and live to regret it. I've witnessed such an event and the Red Tails came out of the woods in force to defend one of their own. It was breath taking to witness.

I almost forgot, but I wanted to tell you that a Peregrine Falcon buzzed me not six to eight feet above my head a few days ago while I was outside with my son. It then flew up and landed in a tree nearby. I feel truly blessed to live where we do. I've seen so many of God's creatures that I had before only dreamed of seeing. Birders Heaven! I have more pics too. Bluebirds anyone?


The glowing eyes are freaky and menacing ! A person's imagination could easily think it to be something evil !!! :lol:
When I was a child,my grandfather accidently disturbed a Bluejay nest and the mother attacked him and pecked him on his head ! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
MM,
I assure you owls aren't evil. They are mystical creatures. Evolutionary perfection! The perfect nocturnal killing machines. Asymmetrical ears for better bi-directional hearing, softened leading edge feathers for soundless flight and eyes that, in some species, take up more than 5% of their body mass and give them night vision second to none.

Sorry, I'm very defensive of owls, lol:) Did you know that most species mate for life? Also, Barn Owls, for example, are encouraged to nest in agricultural areas as they eat twice as much prey(mice, rodents, etc)for their body weight as other owls at no cost to the farmers. Awesome.

I'm really enjoying this thread, MM! Let's keep it going. What type of variety do you see in Queens? Also, as just a taste, my story with our Bluebirds began right as my wife and I were leaving the house to go to the hospital to have our baby boy. Hmm, baby blue, I just thought of that!

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:52 am 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
Mr Owl wrote:
MM,
I assure you owls aren't evil. They are mystical creatures. Evolutionary perfection! The perfect nocturnal killing machines. Asymmetrical ears for better bi-directional hearing, softened leading edge feathers for soundless flight and eyes that, in some species, take up more than 5% of their body mass and give them night vision second to none.

Sorry, I'm very defensive of owls, lol:) Did you know that most species mate for life? Also, Barn Owls, for example, are encouraged to nest in agricultural areas as they eat twice as much prey(mice, rodents, etc)for their body weight as other owls at no cost to the farmers. Awesome.

I'm really enjoying this thread, MM! Let's keep it going. What type of variety do you see in Queens? Also, as just a taste, my story with our Bluebirds began right as my wife and I were leaving the house to go to the hospital to have our baby boy. Hmm, baby blue, I just thought of that!


I saw a Racoon around the block . They're HUGE !
They go through the garbage cans .
I didn't say they are evil . They can be intimidating though .
I love them ! They are incredible !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline
Hoagland-esque

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Pataskala, Oh
Oh, I knew whatcha meant. Some owl species do look menacing!

As for your raccoons, I'm pretty sure they won't make good subjects for your next painting. Especially while peeking out of trash cans. I kinda meant what birds come through Queens. In
'Garden Bird' with brick background, you depicted what looks to me like a Phoebe. I could be wrong, but that bird looks like it is in the Flycatcher family.

Phoebes are one of my favorite birds that return here each spring for the summer and head back south to winter. They wag and flick their tails while perched and make incredible flips and aerial somersaults while catching insects on the wing.

I'm sorry. I could go on forever about birds. I guess that's not what this forum is about...

_________________
"I try every day to do as much good as I can, and as little harm as possible"
Unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
I like Wrens alot as well . Racoons paintings are not in my plans .Squirrels will be a future subject for me !


Attachments:
File comment: This is a beautiful photo of An Oven-bird .
The Ovenbird on a Tree.jpg
The Ovenbird on a Tree.jpg [ 49.37 KiB | Viewed 2970 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:09 pm 
Offline
Shadow Person

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 1490
This is one of my favorite Owl photos that I had found somewhere on line.


Attachments:
File comment: 2 Screech Owls hanging out together .
799px-Eastern_Screech_Owl_RWD1_at_CRC[1].jpg
799px-Eastern_Screech_Owl_RWD1_at_CRC[1].jpg [ 140.1 KiB | Viewed 2967 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group