The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I'm home sick so I watched Ghost Bird. It was OK until they start the sideways comments about the Bush administration and let Dr Prum talk more. Not sure why they attributed Rusmfield with a quote he obviously wasn't the first to state. And all the while admitting they were silent not because they weren't convinced they should be silent but rather so they wouldn't stand in the way of getting money. This is what passes for scientific dissent? By the end of the movie I was ready to physically strike Prum as he seemed such a condescending ass. Oh now my fever is worked up. I think I'll have a thera-flu and watch some cartoons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm 
Hoagland-esque

VampElvis wrote:
I'm home sick so I watched Ghost Bird. It was OK until they start the sideways comments about the Bush administration and let Dr Prum talk more. Not sure why they attributed Rusmfield with a quote he obviously wasn't the first to state. And all the while admitting they were silent not because they weren't convinced they should be silent but rather so they wouldn't stand in the way of getting money. This is what passes for scientific dissent? By the end of the movie I was ready to physically strike Prum as he seemed such a condescending ass. Oh now my fever is worked up. I think I'll have a thera-flu and watch some cartoons.

Von Vamp:
I watched Ghost Bird maybe eight months ago. I forgot about all the political crap. I mostly concentrated on the ornithological aspects of the film, the last photographs taken in the Singer tract, David Sibley, Cornell, Harvard, etc. Everything else was secondary to me.

This bird technically does fall under the subject of cryptozoology. Check Wikipedia. Did you see the picture I left for you as an ANTS congrats in the TGP 36 thread? That's a picture I took of a Pileated Woodpecker on my property. That is the bird people were possibly mistaking for the IBW. By the way, I told that bird what you said. He's coming for ya.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

When I first move in to this property a saw a plieated woodpecker alight on the rough hewn cypress logs that are the columns on my front porch. I watched it from less than 10 ft away through the glass on my front door. It must have been nearly a foot and a half tall. I thought this is a magnificent creature. Heck, at that size it might have been an IBW! It was seriously huge.

My opinion of its majesty changed some months later when it began to drill into the side of my house. Sadly, this one disappeared, but what I assume is its mate terrorized use for a couple of more years. I think this year I've finally gotten the carpenter bees under control and we sustained minimal damage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Von Vamp,

I am truly sorry about your house. It is no doubt a very beautiful home. Was it your first? The reason I ask is often one looks at a property and only sees what's on the surface, the veneer so to speak. The reason I ask is you bought a wood sided home, of which are notoriously high maintenance. I'm not trying to question your shit or patronize you. Being ANTS you are undoubtedly wise.

However, there are countless things/problems a seller will not divulge and there are often reasons why they are trying to unload the home. Perhaps the seller was already aware of the problem and realized they were not willing or able financially to deal with the problem. Regardless of the inspection or disclosure agreement, certain truth can be be concealed.

Some are superficial. For example, our second home, which we moved into three years ago, was, on the surface, our dream home. We soon became aware as to why it sat on the market for nearly 18 months and the price was reduced multiple times from 300k to 215k. First they were unwilling to make certain interior cosmetic improvements to get the price they wanted early on. Despite the setting, on many wooded acres attached to several hundred more, a gorgeous four bedroom home.

After we moved in, less than two weeks before having our first child, on the perfect rural property on which to raise a little boy, enjoy nature peace and quiet, etc, it very soon after became apparently why the previous prim and proper owners wanted out. Our closest neighbors are insane. Motorhead, gun-toting, know it all, atv driving, load outside arguing fuckheads. To top it all off, they have an obnoxious twenty year old son who hasn't realized that he should have moved out by now AND they have a beagle. While we refuse to let them ruin it for us, and we've made it clear that we're not doormats like the previous owners, this just goes to show you that you never know what you're getting yourself into and there's always a catch. We stills got the deal of a lifetime thanks to the housing slump.