The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

The Big Question: Are so-called 'extinct' species really extinct, and will we rediscover any?
Michael McCarthy
Sep. 28, 2009
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 94282.html

Why are we asking this now?

Because ornithologists have just launched an international quest to rediscover a large group of "lost" bird species – believing that some may not be lost after all.

Why does that matter?

Because the human pressure on the natural world is increasing to such an extent that more and more creatures face being wiped out. According to the Red List of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, 12 per cent of the world's birds, 21 per cent of mammals, 30 per cent of amphibians, 31 per cent of reptiles, 37 per cent of fishes and 70 per cent of the world's plant species are now threatened with extinction. Extinction is one of the great blights of our times. Any creatures that are labelled extinct, but which can be rediscovered, offer enormous hope for conservation.

Are there likely to be many?

More than you might think. In the past few years there has been a whole series of rediscoveries of birds, mammals, fish, insects and other creatures that were supposed to have died out.

For example, the mahogany glider, an Australian possum, was rediscovered in 1989 after an absence of more than 100 years, while the New Zealand storm petrel, a seabird, was thought to have vanished a century and a half ago – it was only known from museum specimens – until it was rediscovered in 2003, and India's large-billed reed warbler was thought to have died out a similar time ago, until it was rediscovered in 2006.

Full Text ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:12 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

i feel sorry for the poor sucker who "discovers" there's still a sabretooth tiger roaming around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

I can't blame creatures from hiding from us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Fazer wrote:

lol, exactly. That's why it will be all Bigfoot's fault if someone has to eventually shoot one of them to prove their existence.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:11 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

binnall wrote:
Fazer wrote:

lol, exactly. That's why it will be all Bigfoot's fault if someone has to eventually shoot one of them to prove their existence.

I don't think we will ever be able to shoot one of them. They are Earth's natural hominid. They can live off the land, don't need shelter, or clothes, and are nomads. They can probably dectect humans miles away before we ever get close to them. They also use surrounding nature for protection from us because other creatures in the forest will tell them we are close by.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:32 am 
Hoagland-esque

Thank for the insightful article. Other than that, all I have to say is this: Ivory-Billed Woodpecker! That is all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Admin

I've heard you have an IBW fetish. What is the name of that doc again? Ghost Bird?

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:30 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Yes Tim, I do have a IBW fetish as well as a fetish for all woodpeckers, owls and all my feathered friends. The doc is Ghost Bird on the Netflix. I hope you and others watch it and don't find it boring.

It addresses the controversy of the 'rediscovery' of this magnificent creature. Prander's post was awesome. It's nice to know other people really do care. Subjects such as these are important, not to be joked about. These animal are signs of the health of ecosystems, canaries in the coal mine, so to speak.

I currently have five woodpeckers on my land and surrounding lands. The fifth is a recent edition. A near threatened species called the Red Headed Woodpecker hence forth the RHW. He is an indicator of the changes in our forests as a result of the invasive species, the emerald ash bore which is killing all our ash trees. These rediscoveries give me hope but in the case of the IBW, the verdict is still out. A mystery indeed.

I tried to use the RHW as an analogy to his Hawaiian tones on the Paratopia forums, but he never responded. He must think I'm crazy. Maybe so, but at least I care and am aware. Peace!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm 
Shadow Person

Hi Mr.Owl .
I love birds too !
I am an artist that specializes in all birds . I sell them on line .
I have 4 Owls on right there now . If you're interested in seeing them,let me know .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:18 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Mysteryman, that's incredible!
What serendipity. You have my dream job! Of course I'm interested. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to see your body of work. You see, that's good stuff, really positive, you've made me smile :) Do you have any interest in the Eastern Bluebird? I've finally had some success with these little gods this summer. There are now six new Bluebirds in the world. May not sound like much, but every little bit counts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 pm 
Shadow Person

Mr Owl wrote:
Mysteryman, that's incredible!
What serendipity. You have my dream job! Of course I'm interested. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to see your body of work. You see, that's good stuff, really positive, you've made me smile :) Do you have any interest in the Eastern Bluebird? I've finally had some success with these little gods this summer. There are now six new Bluebirds in the world. May not sound like much, but every little bit counts.

:D Bluebirds are my favorite subject .Beautiful coloring .
I just finished a Snowy White Owl that I'm very happy with .
I have a couple of Red Morph Owls as well .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Mysteryman,
You must mean the Red Morph of the Eastern Screech Owl, right? Very cool. I swear that my step brothers and I once saw a Snowy Owl when we were in some woods in Delaware county here in Ohio. I know, it doesn't make any sense. It was winter but that was over twenty years ago. There was no mistaking it, unless it was a Barn Owl. But, Barn Owls are relatively small. This was a big bird with a wing span to match. Although unconventional, there were many strange happenings in the area along the paranormal vein. Ironically, I have in recent months seen reports of the Snowy being sighted as far south as Michigan and Northern
Ohio. Back to changing landscapes. As for bluebirds, my experiences with them during the last three years have gone from magical to sad and on to triumphant. Would love to hear of your experiences as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:33 pm 
Shadow Person

Mr Owl wrote:
Mysteryman,
You must mean the Red Morph of the Eastern Screech Owl, right? Very cool. I swear that my step brothers and I once saw a Snowy Owl when we were in some woods in Delaware county here in Ohio. I know, it doesn't make any sense. It was winter but that was over twenty years ago. There was no mistaking it, unless it was a Barn Owl. But, Barn Owls are relatively small. This was a big bird with a wing span to match. Although unconventional, there were many strange happenings in the area along the paranormal vein. Ironically, I have in recent months seen reports of the Snowy being sighted as far south as Michigan and Northern
Ohio. Back to changing landscapes. As for bluebirds, my experiences with them during the last three years have gone from magical to sad and on to triumphant. Would love to hear of your experiences as well.

Hi,
Barn Owls are very handsome . I will paint one at some point .
That's my 2nd Snowy White . I sold a close-up of one recently .
Yes, Eastern Screech . Some people are terrified of Owls . :lol:
Mostly,their freaky eyes ! I think they're amazing !!!
I just started painting them because someone requested one .
I was a bit intimidated by all those markings and avoided trying them . Now,I love doing them ,and will try alot more Owls in the future .
One bird that I've come to appreciate is the Caique parrot . GREAT coloring ! Haven't tried a Parakeet yet .
You probably know alot more about birds than I do . I like to look at them and paint them,but I don't study their way of life .
You should write about them for everyone to learn .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:06 am 
Hoagland-esque

OH.MY.GOD.
I don't know where to begin! Your style borders on impressionistic, showing how tiresome true realism for realist sake can become. The backgrounds are nearly as important as the subjects themselves in turn, paradoxically, realistically that is, adding to the sense of authenticity of the setting.   
'An Owl at First Light' and 'Garden Bird with Red Brick'(eastern phoebe, one of my favorites) plus 'Owl in the Forest' are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. The bird's environment is created with such love and attention to detail! I'm afraid I cannot go into the eastern bluebirds right now as it would take too long. Suffice to say you have done ample justice to one of God's most exquisite creatures. Thank you. I will endeavor to be a proud owner of one of your labors of love as soon as possible. Peace! You rock! As for writing about birds for everyone else to learn more, from experience, no one seems to care. I don't want to sell this crowd short however :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 am 
Shadow Person

8) :cry: Thank you very much for all those flattering compliments of my artwork !!! Reading it was like opening a gift !!! That is what I work for !
:idea: Everytime I do a painting , I hope to create a piece of art that will give pleasure to the viewer ,and do justice to the magical and beautiful world of nature and it's lovely creatures .
You have described my style very well !
I work to create a beautiful and realistic atmosphere around my birds to show them AT THEIR BEST ,and create a more interesting painting,of course . Sometimes, I drive myself crazy to get it just right,and when I don't,I put it aside, and work on other things, until I'm ready to try and tackle it again .
I have a bunch of unfinished paintings like that .
:wink:When I'm working on a painting , I am the first viewer, and I am trying to please my eyes first ,with the hope that other people will be pleased as well ,when it has been completed .
Yes,I am certainly an impressionist !!! I was inspired by The Impressionists beautifully colored works .
Camille Pisarro is my favorite . His landscapes are PERFECT !!!
His eye was INCREDIBLE !!!
Monet's landscapes were great as well !
Thanks again !
8) I would love to read your thoughts on Bluebirds and anything else about birds !
8) Take care !