The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:27 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I grew up in Southern Cal near the nefarious "Whittier fault", that shakes now and then. Also I was there for the 1971 Northridge Quake. No damage where we lived, but there were collapses and lives lost out in the SF Valley.

There's a unique terror with an earthquake. When I've realized it was an earthquake, there's that period of fear that THE BIG ONE, the one that will send California into the ocean, has come and it's all over!
Now we live in Maryland, an area considered geologically "old" so I'd be very surprised if the ground starts shaking!

Saw an article today on Yahoo about dogs being able to "predict" earthquakes: http://pets.yahoo.com/dogs/behavior-and ... redictors/ Jim Berkland has been talking about this for a long time, so research is supporting his ideas. Guess they learned a lot more from accounts of animals' behavior before and after the Asian Tsunami as well.

If your dog starts acting all scaredy-strange, there's your heads up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:32 am 
Merovingian

I've only felt minor earthquakes, nothing major; thank God!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:46 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

We get earthquakes that are strong enough to be felt at least once every couple of weeks or so, and of course there are many more which are too weak to be registered by anything but mechanical means (sometimes as many as a dozen a day). Maybe this explains why my neighbor's dog is a schizoid nut case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:21 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

obiter_dictum wrote:
We get earthquakes that are strong enough to be felt at least once every couple of weeks or so, and of course there are many more which are too weak to be registered by anything but mechanical means (sometimes as many as a dozen a day). Maybe this explains why my neighbor's dog is a schizoid nut case!

I've heard that the Japan has the best construction codes in the world for earthquakes- good thing too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

When I was young in ohio of all places

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am 
Merovingian

Born and Bred in SOCA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:36 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I have felt lots of earthquakes living just east of San Diego. The worst ones I have felt, that have shaken me up the most, happened to be in the Los Angeles area. The Northridge quake was felt strongly down here, and about an hour or so later, was the Big Bear quake, that I felt when I was out in the yard, on my feet, turning on the water.

The one in 1970 in Los Angeles, we felt down here, also. There was a 6.0 in the desert, about 60 miles from here, that shook the house and rattled the windows. In El Centro, it brought down a building that my husband had worked on five or six years previously.

We are in an area that has lots of huge boulders, and when there is an earthquake, we usually hear the rocks rubbing together, a low roar, prior to feeling the quake.

We have had several friends who have lived in major earthquakes in CA, and who have had to have their homes rebuilt, or major repairs to them. So far, we have lucked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:21 pm 
British Royal

I've lived in Chicago my whole life. I've never been in an earthquake.

I must say though, I'm morbidly curious to see what its like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:38 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

I was in a 7.5 earthquake in Sicily.....The building I lived in was modern and built anti seismic but many of the other structures in the older areas did not fare very well, I was in the Landers quake in California...tremors were pretty regular there.It is a grossly unnatural experience :cry: