The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:41 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I'm just posting and letting any debate, discussion, etc. go how it will...

--------------------

Meditation changes temperatures: Mind controls body in extreme experiments
By William J. Cromie
Issue: Apr. 18, 2002
http://www.hno.harvard.edu/

In a monastery in northern India, thinly clad Tibetan monks sat quietly in a room where the temperature was a chilly 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a yoga technique known as g Tum-mo, they entered a state of deep meditation. Other monks soaked 3-by-6-foot sheets in cold water (49 degrees) and placed them over the meditators' shoulders. For untrained people, such frigid wrappings would produce uncontrolled shivering.

If body temperatures continue to drop under these conditions, death can result. But it was not long before steam began rising from the sheets. As a result of body heat produced by the monks during meditation, the sheets dried in about an hour.

Attendants removed the sheets, then covered the meditators with a second chilled, wet wrapping. Each monk was required to dry three sheets over a period of several hours.

Why would anyone do this? Herbert Benson, who has been studying g Tum-mo for 20 years, answers that "Buddhists feel the reality we live in is not the ultimate one. There's another reality we can tap into that's unaffected by our emotions, by our everyday world. Buddhists believe this state of mind can be achieved by doing good for others and by meditation. The heat they generate during the process is just a by-product of g Tum-mo meditation."

Full Text ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:00 pm 
British Royal

I think I saw a show on these guys once. You could see steam rising off of them in the cold. They even monitored heart rate, body temp and all of that & they actually did make themselves warmer.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:55 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

vadersp wrote:
I think I saw a show on these guys once. You could see steam rising off of them in the cold. They even monitored heart rate, body temp and all of that & they actually did make themselves warmer.

Do you remember what show it was, by chance?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:15 pm 
British Royal

No idea what the show was. It was something on the History channel or maybe A&E. It was an episode of a series, not just a special show about them. I watch so much on those channels, it's impossible to remember them all.