The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 am 
Hoagland-esque

I'd like to join a UFO organization, MUFON is the one I've heard about mostly, are there any other good ones?

I was stoked about it until I went to MUFON's website which is kinda lame, and then I went to Sacramento MUFON's website which is super lame.

I suppose I would at least get a copy of MUFON's monthly publication, which is nice I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:22 am 
Merovingian

The MUFON Journal isn't bad and it is a good bonus for joining. I dropped by MUFON membership because NM MUFON almost never meets in Albuquerque - normally Roswell, which is 250 miles away. So we started our own local UFO group a couple years ago and it has become quite popular. If you can't find a group you like - just start your own. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:23 pm 
Hoagland-esque

lesley wrote:
The MUFON Journal isn't bad and it is a good bonus for joining. I dropped by MUFON membership because NM MUFON almost never meets in Albuquerque - normally Roswell, which is 250 miles away. So we started our own local UFO group a couple years ago and it has become quite popular. If you can't find a group you like - just start your own. :D

Aw man I wish I lived in Albuquerque I would join your group.

I think I'll give MUFON a shot. There is a local group in Sacramento I can meet with. Even if I don't like the group it's not a total waste, because I get the monthly reports and I can join the MUFON online forum.

I just hope they're not all nutjobs... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:59 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Just remember Groucho's words of wisdom about joining any club that would have you as a member. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 am 
Hoagland-esque

Good point :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
Rense Regular

lesley wrote:

But Lord, do they ever need a copy editor and proof reader for that Journal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:26 pm 
Rense Regular

Area51 wrote:
lesley wrote:

Aw man I wish I lived in Albuquerque I would join your group.

I think I'll give MUFON a shot. There is a local group in Sacramento I can meet with. Even if I don't like the group it's not a total waste, because I get the monthly reports and I can join the MUFON online forum.

I just hope they're not all nutjobs... :)

Unfortunately, experiences with MUFON are usually relative to your local chapter and sometimes the 'politics' of it's directors. While it is an international organization, themes and direction vary from state to state. The Portland, OR chapter is pretty laid back and they meet every month and sometimes add additional functions for socializing. I'm just not a very social person.

I had the same concern as you when I first went: I wondered if they would all be nutbags. Turns out only about 20% were. My only real complaint with the chapter here is lack of younger people. And while I'm not too young (I'm 35), many of the members were significantly older than I.

My opinion of MUFON in general has been changing over the last year. Overall, I think it is a decent organization, but they are working out some kinks as of late.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

MUFON's decentralized structure isn't perfect, but I think it serves the organization well. Look back at the history of APRO, and you see the downside of trying to maintain an iron grip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:36 pm 
Merovingian

Bunny Girl wrote:

Unfortunately, experiences with MUFON are usually relative to your local chapter and sometimes the 'politics' of it's directors. While it is an international organization, themes and direction vary from state to state. The Portland, OR chapter is pretty laid back and they meet every month and sometimes add additional functions for socializing. I'm just not a very social person.

I had the same concern as you when I first went: I wondered if they would all be nutbags. Turns out only about 20% were. My only real complaint with the chapter here is lack of younger people. And while I'm not too young (I'm 35), many of the members were significantly older than I.

My opinion of MUFON in general has been changing over the last year. Overall, I think it is a decent organization, but they are working out some kinks as of late.

Although I never have gone to a MUFON meeting I have noticed that most of the members here (the ones that I know) are older. Our local non-mufon group is the opposite, being mostly younger people (well, people my age) and even a teenager that comes with her mom. I am sure there are those in our group that people would consider "nuts," I am not always sure what to think of their experiences, but I keep an open mind.

Since I don't really like organized groups with Presidents and by-laws, the local group works better for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:03 am 
Hoagland-esque

Bunny Girl wrote:
lesley wrote:

But Lord, do they ever need a copy editor and proof reader for that Journal.

Crap. That ruins it for me then. Thanks for the heads-up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

They're all great! You can't go wrong with any of them.