The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am 
Hoagland-esque

What the heck

I emailed him, but I don't know how often he checks his email, or if he would believe me, so... somebody let him know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Did a little poking around online. It looks like the Trojan is part of this malware family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumblar

Victims are redirected to another server that tries to deliver a malware payload to their systems. If successful, it then sniffs the victim's network connection for FTP and other server passwords. I don't know what else it gets up to, but it's nasty; there are multiple variants, and it seems to be staying ahead of many anti-malware apps by mutating so rapidly.

So chances are VERY good that Stanton (or whoever does admin for Stanton's site) has an infected PC that uploaded the Trojan to the Web site during normal maintenance or file transfers.

Tim can probably check up on this and confirm whether that's right. Maybe he's also the best person to contact Stanton, assuming he has his contact info.

This shows exactly why I use Firefox with the NoScript extension when I visit untrusted sites. It's not foolproof, but it definitely reduces the risk of falling prey to this kind of nonsense, especially when AV tools don't always catch them in time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm about 90% sure that someone else runs Stan's website and I'm willing to bet that they have been inundated w. info re: the situation.

I think Stan is probably in Laughlin right now, so trying to contact him might be fruitless.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Stan to be the kind of guy who enjoys slinging hot JavaScript. I bet he's still got a typewriter or two sitting around Casa Friedman. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

mstuartm wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect Stan to be the kind of guy who enjoys slinging hot JavaScript. I bet he's still got a typewriter or two sitting around Casa Friedman. :D

What's wrong with typewriters? I have three of them I use constantly. There's just something soothing about the sound and the ability to see what you type come up on a piece of paper instead of a screen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:08 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Primus wrote:
mstuartm wrote:

What's wrong with typewriters? I have three of them I use constantly. There's just something soothing about the sound and the ability to see what you type come up on a piece of paper instead of a screen.

this enables me to show my favorite scene, from one of my favorite movies, Finding Forrester...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cBPc6VSaI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:32 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Primus wrote:
What's wrong with typewriters? I have three of them I use constantly.

There's nothing wrong with typewriters. They just aren't exactly cutting-edge technology. (Although I can't really say what the cutting edge in typewriter tech is these days, I haven't seen one of the things in about 15 years.)

But if you can use three typewriters at the same time, now THAT I would like to see on YouTube. :D