The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If UFOs are Real ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 am 
Site Admin

and it gets proven, like a "White House lawn" type incident or just overall disclosure by the gov't, what becomes of the Ufologists?

Does someone like Friedman become recognized by the mainstream as a visionary ahead of his time or does he become forgotten and marginalized by the media?

Do contemporary organizations like MUFON fold up shop, wither and die, replaced by new, mainstream scientific entities or do they become revitalized by a newfound sense of legitimacy for their organization?

Do contactees, abductees, and other peripheral UFO sub-groups get a second look from the skeptical public or are they still forced to remain on the edge of acceptance?

Your thoughts ...

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject: Re: If UFOs are Real ...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29 am 
CFR Fat Cat

IMO individual experiencers get acknowledged but UFO organizations have their records taken by some new government agency and are told to shut up and go away because of "national security". This is all presuming Ian was wrong and they aren't here because they're hungry. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Interesting take that I'd never thought of. So you are saying like the gov't annexes the UFO groups in the interest of NS.

I'm sure plenty of Ufologists would raise hell if it happened, but it would be interesting to watch.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

Nothing, they are sidelined and marginalized.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm 
Y2K Profiteer

They will be glorified and given giant megalithic structures of themselves in their honor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am 
Oil Industry Executive

There would be a brief period of "See, we told you!" gloating, then the realization that they don't truly have the money or the means to continue investigating the phenomenon at the level it has progressed to. At least in any real sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 pm 
Merovingian

Since the government will never release all info on UFOs (even if they admit ETs or whatever exist), Ufologists will be left to try to track down the truth that is being left out or straighten out various lies they will tell about the true nature of the visitors. I do not believe the government would ever disclose the full truth, even if they knew it -- which they may not and that would also give Ufologists something to work on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:15 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Hmm... my second reply disappeared. Alien influence? MIBs? They're here... :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:19 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

The way I see it...

Whether it's because they can't know, whether the TPTB won't release everything they do know or whatever, the public will never know everything. There will always be a need for UFOlogists, ET researchers and so on.

Beyond that, I think it does depend on the, umm, 'degree' of public knowledge. Does the public know only that they exist, if so does the public know only of one civilization, race, species, etc. - how many are there? Does the public know of their involvement, and degree of involvement, in human affairs? Does the public know how long they've been here? Etc.?

I think they'll just have to 'shift' their focus, as it were. Instead of trying to figure the 'fundamentals' - if they exist and if they're here - they'll have to figure out the what, why, who, where, when, etc. of them existing and being here.

You know, there will always be unanswered questions. More answers will only raise more questions needing to be answered. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:42 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I seriously wish it would get disclosed so we could just find out already.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 am 
First Time Caller Line

How could aliens land on the White House lawn? After all, we spend trillions of dollars a year on the best defense money can buy, so how could anyone possibly penetrate NORCOM's mighty air defenses long enough to get anywhere near the White House, or the Pentagon, or New York... oh. :D

I can't answer your question because I just can't see it happening that way, so prosaically, unless the intergalactic equivalent of a used cars salesmen somehow sneaks past whatever million year+ technology is guarding and isolating our developing civilization (I'm subscribing to the zoo hypothesis as the best fit) to "land on the White House lawn" and offer his own version of Scientology or perpetual motion machines to a gullible Terran public...in exchange for all our uranium.

Which would be a great science fiction story, except it was probably already written by Kilgore Trout.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Hoagland-esque

If UFO's are "pronounced" as real be it by a public Landing or other revelation, the next question would be that they are a real, WHAT?

They could be aliens from another planet, or time travellers, or from some parallel dimension, or even crypto terrestrials who have managed to stay in the shadows. .. and if "they" state who they are, .. are we to believe them?

Hell! All you'd have to do is look to something like the Graphic Novel, "Watchmen" or even "The Incredibles" to see how a REVELATION could be nothing of the sort.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:17 pm 
Shadow Person

davidg8089 wrote:
If UFO's are "pronounced" as real be it by a public Landing or other revelation, the next question would be that they are a real, WHAT?

They could be aliens from another planet, or time travellers, or from some parallel dimension, or even crypto terrestrials who have managed to stay in the shadows. .. and if "they" state who they are, .. are we to believe them?

Hell! All you'd have to do is look to something like the Graphic Novel, "Watchmen" or even "The Incredibles" to see how a REVELATION could be nothing of the sort.

:wink: I agree !!! I think it will be a gradual transformation . Most wouldn't believe it if announced tomorrow . :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:18 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Clendennan wrote:
Nothing, they are sidelined and marginalized.

I think you nailed it. They will be just as shunned by "serious" scientists the day after as they had been the day before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:42 pm 
Rense Regular

I have thought about this question a lot. I've also wondered what the Hell I would end up doing at that point, since the 'Great Mystery' would be more or less, done with.

But then it hit me -- the confirmation of the existence of extra-terrestrials (or whatever they are) is only one part of a bigger interest. The other interest is in learning about their civilization, culture, music, art, et cetera. So the next logical step (for me, at least) would be more along the lines of an anthropological study.

~D