The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Amazing Criswell
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am 
Low Initiate Freemason

Today is the 100th birthday of the Amazing Criswell. Most today do not remember him. Those who do remember him probably from some of Ed Wood's movies.

Criswell also used to do television talk shows making some outlandish predictions. I always thought, as a kid, he was so cool. In many ways Criswell peaked me into following the paranormal and the strangenesses of the world. His outlandish wild predictions made me think. I was just a kid afterall but along with Science Fiction he and his weird wacky way opened my mind. (Some would say distorted my mind).

While my life moved on and my interests evolved, Criswell disappeared from our television screens except for a occasional replay of Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Years later I was trying to get into broadcasting. I was getting a chance to sit in on a local show. The station I was at had an interesting file system for potential interviews. An old shoebox with 3 by 5 index cards with the person, his so-called claim to fame and contact info. By now you know who I found in the shoebox. Yes the Amazing Criswell. I called sat things up and soon had Criswell on the air.

I knew I would be greedy and would want to talk with him for hours, yet I knew I had not even one because of news and commercial breaks. I fought myself, was gushy because I loved the Ed Wood movies so much and then looked at the phones. My 2 lines were lit. I decided to share the moment fully.

It was amazing. People loved this man still for all his wackyness. They still remembered. I had a ball. At the end of the hour I asked him to stay on the phone for a bit and when we went to news I thanked him for what I felt was my finest hour. He turned the tables on me. He was thanking me for the grand time he had just had. I was flabergasted. The man was so happy to know he was still appreciated and remembered. Not too long after this Criswell passed on.

To end this I will add 1 last thing. Criswell you are still appreciated and remembered. Happy Birthday Criswell. The world didn't end 8 years ago today as you said it would but, hey, we still love you.

Post subject: Re: The Amazing Criswell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 pm 
First Time Caller Line

Hello!

I came across your post last evening about interviewing Criswell before he passed away. Very interesting! You see my brother and were born and raised in Littlestown, PA and currently we are doing extensive research on Criswell and his wife Myrtle Louise Stonesifer (aka Halo Meadows, Louise Howard) in association with the Littlestown Area Historical Society. We are giving a complete presentation on Criswell's wife's entire life to the town of Littlestown because this is where she was born and where she passed away. We have been talking to people in Hollywood who knew them and NYC but now we are just randomly trying to find people on the internet who may have some sort of connection to either of them and your connection really interests us! Would you happen to have a recording of that interview you did with Criswell or any notes or memories that you have from talking with him!? We would love to know anything you can tell us about that neat experience as it would be very useful for our research! What year was this interview done? Did he mention anything about his wife, or best friends Arthur Jones or Mae West? Anything, even the tiniest bit of info would be very exciting to us!

Please Contact Us As Soon As Possible!
Hope To Hear From You Soon,

Thank You So Very Much,

Clinton and Clifton Bittle
717-873-9534
musicfanatic89@gmail.com