The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Warren the Ape
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:53 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Dude, I just checked it out last night. I probably watched that episode four times and watched Bad Fo Po about 20. No shit. 20.

Brilliant. "I want that vigilante war hero dead. Like yesterday!"

It was like Rambo got the grindhouse treatment.

"Somethunnnnn!!!!"

I haven't seen the latest one yet. It doesn't help that MTV shows about zero repeats of it. How come you can tune in randomly at 2 am on any night and either see that Road Rules vs. Real World gauntlet bullshit or see Lauren Conrad moping around either eating or talking about guys on The Hills. Do you ever get to see Warren? Never.

I also love that line "You know how much I enjoy hearing stories about your kids ..."
That one resonated.

"I love it when they run!"

Fuck yes.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Dude, the AA meeting in Bad Po Fo was insane. I probably watched that scene like 15 times, I was laughing so much.

I don't know what it says about me, but I sometimes think that Warren is the closest approximation to myself of any character on TV. His responses in the AA meeting were spot on.

Re: MTV's lack of repeats, I suggest setting your DVR to pick up Warren at the 10:30 Monday time, that way you can watch as often as you like. Sadly, this show is so brilliant that I expect MTV will cancel it after this 1st season. Then again, I'm not sure where else Warren can go in Season Two, since they've done all the usual reality show rehab bits.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:16 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

My go-to option is usually On Demand, but it takes a little while for it to be updated. But yeah, I should just lock down the time slot with the DVR.

The AA "fight" was classic. And they could have had a whole episode just be based on the faux-cop show pilot, it was so funny. "Actually, we are partners."
Hell, bring Warren back as a villain on Dented Badge, I say.

I don't know anyone who watches it for the most part. But usually when I do get someone to check it out (like my wife, friends) they love it. Part of the problem is I've found that most people don't even know what it is.

I think a season 2 could be done, especially when you consider the misadventures to be had in a rehab/sex addict facility if he were to be sent away or better yet, court ordered.

The whole self-improvement thing could be even funnier if he ends up doing some B-movie gigs in trying to rehab his professional career.

Ok, wow. I think I've thought a little too much about this, lol. But ya gotta love a deuchebag muppet.

"This is for what ya did ..."

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

After a somewhat down episode last week (the 'It Girl' episode), this week's show was fucking stellar.

I missed the very end, so I'm not sure if Warren pulled a swerve on the group and returned to being a dick or not.

Loved Cecil's "Pandora addiction" and all of Warren's AA meetings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

"Fleshy with a badge!"

Ok, this show is growing on me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Nice to see the long needed Cecil-centric episode last night. Kind of predictable, but still pretty damn good.

Next week's episode looks pretty good and could be awesome. Not a fan of Mick Foley appearing, but the whole anger management thing could be fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Dude I loved the It Girl episode. The "method acting" of getting wasted in the Smart Car, The tequila catch over the fence, the puzzle, the horse stable sequence. The Banana Dance. Getting to see a clip from the much talked about never before seen "Monkey Around the House." Stellar.

I thought the Warren's own AA group one was a little uneven, though. It started off awesome with the Purple guy, and I think kind of blew it's creative load in the process. I was on the floor when Warren offered the manslaughter defense.

I've finally caught up in my Warren watching with the lone show I've missed being the pilot. I think I'll wait until I get the DVDs to watch it, I don't want to spoil it it by seeing it online. Lord knows MTV won't show any replays. I already read on the mediaweek website that the network renewed "The Hard Times of RJ Berger" and that Warren will probably get the ax. Bastards.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

I politely disagree, sir.

It Girl was decent but not great.

AA Episode was outstanding. Cecil's Pandora addiction was classic. The AA lady was great and her total disgust with Warren was awesome. Purple Guy was a fucking gem, you are right about that. "I once killed a human baby." "Isn't that homicide?" "Yeah, yeah, it is." Warren's insistence that the desert girl take off her shirt was funny as hell and what about Rancho Cucamunga?!

If Warren gets the ax, they are fucking insane. He should move to Comedy Central or VH1 or Spike or Adult Swim. It's too great a show to go off the air. It's really quite genius.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
I politely disagree, sir.

It Girl was decent but not great.

AA Episode was outstanding. Cecil's Pandora addiction was classic. The AA lady was great and her total disgust with Warren was awesome. Purple Guy was a fucking gem, you are right about that. "I once killed a human baby." "Isn't that homicide?" "Yeah, yeah, it is." Warren's insistence that the desert girl take off her shirt was funny as hell and what about Rancho Cucamunga?!

If Warren gets the ax, they are fucking insane. He should move to Comedy Central or VH1 or Spike or Adult Swim. It's too great a show to go off the air. It's really quite genius.

Purple Guy was actually funnier than anything Warren said all season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Touche' Tim. I totally forgot about the Pandora addiction, that certainly raises it up a notch in my book.

Also, hard to believe but only 3 episodes left. IMDB doesn't list the title or description of the 11th show, so there might only be 2 more to go.

It's rare that I commit to buying a TV series on DVD with the show still ongoing and without even knowing if it will be released. Can you imagine the uncensored extras they could put on there??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Meh. Not a great episode last night.

Too much Mick Foley. I'm probably biased, because I find him to be a big phony nowadays.

Also, not enough Cecil until the very end.

I probably watched the show through pessimistic eyes, since it doesn't seem like Warren will make it to a 2nd season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I liked the Foley episode (although I wanted to love it), but last night's sucked balls with Warren needing money.

I laughed once, with that exchange at the horse track (great back and forth with David Koechner). I wanted to see Warren homeless just to advance the story further into lunacy (at least for the episode). It's like they shuffled in celeb cameos as a last resort with the cancellation buzzards circling.

It's like they're running out of ideas.

I hope the last episode of the season is a good one, if it does get nixed, go out with a high note.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

I agree that they seem to be running out of addictions for Warren.

While it sounds like a 2nd season is damn near impossible now, it would probably work if Warren got a new gig, like a sitcom, but the reality show kept following him around to show his dark side behind the scenes.

Re: this week's episode, I kind of liked it. I confess to being a huge Cecil fan and I loved how he showed a dickish side at the end, where he wanted both the Black Lotus card and the $1,000 bucks back.

I'm sure the celebrity cameos were done way before the cancellation news was swirling. I couldn't figure out if Sarah Silverman was fucking Warren or beating him up or what. I presume fucking, but it all just seemed weird as hell. I also liked the callback to Seth Green in the hospital and that Warren is such an asshole that he hit him up for money after causing him to get crippled. Asking Dr. Drew for money was great as was Napolean Dymanite's grandmother as Warren's landlord.

I want to see more of Warren's pizza movie, whatever the hell that was.

Just discovered this: http://www.zazzle.com/gregthestore

I've got to get some Bad Po Fo merchandise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:01 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Every now and then the creator, Dan Milano, takes Warren a couple beats too far where it literally gets a tad uncomfortable. He may think he's doing it for effect, but I think it's a case of lack of self-editing.
For example, the whole Warren breaking down emotionally at the end of the It Girl episode. Did we need to hear him wail for 5 minutes? Also, the breakdown in solitary in the Foley episode.
Glad you brought up the Sarah Silverman thing, Tim. Then there's that bizarre Silverman rough sex routine, which really didn't translate and got borderline creepy. I know there's got to be more examples, but those are just off the top of my head.

I still love the show and once this season ends, think about your top 5 episode list in order. Hint: for me nothing beats 1.3- the school field trip.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Things I need ...

an MTV marathon of all Warren episodes so I can save the best ones on my Tivo

a studio version poster for Bad Po Fo

a 2nd season of this show

a personal assistant exactly like Cecil