Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 pm 
C2C 1st Hour Pop-In Guest

This looks really good.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walk ... 3569611001

Based on a comic book series, the tv series will be written and directed by Frank Darabont (of Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption fame).

Premieres this Halloween.

Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

As a fan of the comic, all I can say is fukkk yes.

The right people are behind it, the quality and budget look first rate and so of course, I automatically think it won't catch on.

Thankfully, AMC has lower audience number targets they consider to be successful which is why Mad Men and Breaking Bad have survived and thrived allowing quality to win out.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Tonight's the night!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

DVR is set! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I watched this last night, and must say, it was very good. It looks like they have some serious drama being set up for future episodes on top of all the usual zombie goodness.

I like the directors style, like some of the camera effects that happened a few times when a character was disoriented, and things like that.

The special effects are also pretty good. They look low budget, but in a good way, real gritty and real.

all in all, I will have to check out the rest of this series.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I still think it would be better in black and white, but I liked the first episode.

I also like that the story won't necessarily play out the way it does in the comics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Yeah, it'll be good to see some changes. The comic is good, but does get sort of terrible at times. They can change that here.

Loved the show last night. There were some surprisingly emotional moments that really struck me, such as the bit where they intercut between Morgan trying to snipe his zombie wife from the upstairs of their house and Rick going back to the park to mercy kill the eviscerated zombie woman he'd seen there at the beginning. We've seen that "Can't kill a loved one that's become something else" scene a billion times before, but it was done in such a way last night that I honestly felt sad while watching it. Maybe the best variant of that particular trope I've ever seen.

And I loved the mercy killing. It really drove home that these zombies used to be people and it isn't their fault that they've become what they are. It's the little touches like that that made the episode awesome.

Also, that poor horse. Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:11 am 
C2C Annual Guest

I thought the first episode was great.

Check out "The making of The Walking Dead" video at amc.com

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/video

Cool stuff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Orpheus wrote:
Yeah, it'll be good to see some changes. The comic is good, but does get sort of terrible at times. They can change that here.

Loved the show last night. There were some surprisingly emotional moments that really struck me, such as the bit where they intercut between Morgan trying to snipe his zombie wife from the upstairs of their house and Rick going back to the park to mercy kill the eviscerated zombie woman he'd seen there at the beginning. We've seen that "Can't kill a loved one that's become something else" scene a billion times before, but it was done in such a way last night that I honestly felt sad while watching it. Maybe the best variant of that particular trope I've ever seen.

And I loved the mercy killing. It really drove home that these zombies used to be people and it isn't their fault that they've become what they are. It's the little touches like that that made the episode awesome.

Also, that poor horse. Damn.

I went into it knowing the show cannot be better than the comic. it's pretty much impossible.

There's no way you could recreate or make better changes for TV for the torture of

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I've always found the comic to be way too inconsistent. The good stuff is great, but when it goes off the rails it becomes a total chore to read. I'm hoping for more consistency from the show.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:14 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I am halfway through episode 2, and I must say, its fucking good. I never read the comics, and I am not sure how much the show follows it, but I am pretty sure who ever wrote this has read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. There have been a few things, and even a few lines directly from that book, which I think is pretty cool. A nice little nod perhaps.

I think a lot of zombie writers will reference that book as much as they would Romero at this point. I know I have in my zombie fiction. Its a good foundation to build off of. I recommend reading it if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I've seen the full season and what can I say WOW! They set the final episode up for next season. I can't wait.

"There is no such thing as black magic, only cheap tricks." -Doctor Parnassus, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:28 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

I enjoyed it very much. (the first season)

Gotta buy the DVD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:12 pm 
Hoagland-esque

Did we stop talking about this show?

Season ending was AWESOME.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Season 3 will definitely be a turning point for this show. I don't think it's as good as the comic.

But, the Governor, Michonne and the Prison are coming up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: