The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 am 
Site Admin

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704754304576096772622398558.html

Quote:
Cable host Keith Olbermann and news channel MSNBC abruptly parted ways on Friday night, as the network announced it had agreed to end his contract and the last installment of his show would air that evening.

As a nightly Olbermann viewer and fan, I'm very disappointed by this news. Yes, the show has been kind of crap since the 2008 election, but Olbermann was still, far and away, the most entertaining anchor on MSNBC.

I'm sure he'll turn up somewhere, but it just won't be the same, especially if it isn't in the political realm.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:35 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

He did his job propping up BO and the Dem admin to get the NBC / Comcast deal approved so now they don't need him anymore, especially with the Repubs now in control of the House. He's a loose canon that could impact future business moves with his inane mean-spirited attacks.

Good to see him go if you ask me. If only he could take Hannity with him...... :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:54 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Never was a fan. He was a creature of pure ego. I realize he carved a niche out from himself as the "Bill O'Reilly of the left" (even though he'd scream false equivalency about that, it's true. He's a blowhard who didn't know fuck all about a lot of the stuff he was talking about, just like O'Reilly.) but it really seemed like he'd run his course. He descended into self parody a while back and never really recovered.

But he leaves yet another job under acrimonious circumstances. First he NUKES his bridges at ESPN back in the 90's to a degree that both sides admitted was beyond repair (even when he was doing a half hour on Dan Patrick's old radio show, it was under the order that he not be allowed near or on ESPN's main compound). Then he gets fired from Fox Sports after claiming Rupert Murdoch was going to sell the L.A. Dodgers (which he did...three years later), and Murdoch called him crazy. Now this firing (which it was, in essence). I mean, they basically axed their top rated guy. How fucking abysmal a human being do you have to be to lose your job when you're the top guy on the network?

From all accounts, the guy is apparently a nightmare to work with. His work history would seem to indicate that's true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I think it was deadline where I read it was money. Apparently he's threatened to walk several times and they called his bluff. Story was everyone found out pretty mush as it was announced on the show (of course there may be more into on that now - I haven't followed the story).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:13 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Yeah, he was pissed that he was making a "meager" 7 million a year.

Boo hoo.

But apparently this had been boiling for a while. NBC News (which oversees MSNBC) had been butting heads with him for as long as two years, and he was convinced he was untouchable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 am 
Merovingian

Maybe he was just pissed at the censorship in news media today.

I know - I'm pissed about the censorship in the news media today.

I hope he "pulls a Conan" - - and shows up somewhere "muzzle free".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:23 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

He was pissed about not getting more money. The whole "social crusader" bit with him is all an act that he only started after he flipped out on his show (which at that point had been a humorous recounting of daily news stories) about Bush/Rumsfeld and his rating's spiked. Then he ran with it as long as he could before completely becoming a self parody.

He'll have a no-compete clause in his contract that will probably be at least six months. I doubt CNN wants him, as their current MO is to be as bland and non-threatening as possible. FOX is obviously not an option. There's talk of him working with Aaron Sorkin on his new HBO cable news drama show, but that's mostly rumor at this point. He may have finally burned a bridge too many this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Orpheus wrote:
He was pissed about not getting more money. The whole "social crusader" bit with him is all an act that he only started after he flipped out on his show (which at that point had been a humorous recounting of daily news stories) about Bush/Rumsfeld and his rating's spiked. Then he ran with it as long as he could before completely becoming a self parody.

He'll have a no-compete clause in his contract that will probably be at least six months. I doubt CNN wants him, as their current MO is to be as bland and non-threatening as possible. FOX is obviously not an option. There's talk of him working with Aaron Sorkin on his new HBO cable news drama show, but that's mostly rumor at this point. He may have finally burned a bridge too many this time.

he's supposed to write the rants for Sokin's show. I always thought Dennis Miller was better at that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Dennis Miller is the King of Rants, but this job may suite Olbermann, especially if they can let him write without any interaction with the rest of their staff. Can't imagine anyone would want him stirring the pot around the water cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Orpheus couldn't have been more right describing him as floundering until some rant on GW went viral and he found his niche, wrapping himself in the irony and anger of Bush's "Mission Accomplished" banner. GW proved the perfect straw man at the perfect time.

KO was a pompous douchebag selling left-wing outrage. I almost would rather watch Beck crying at his damn chalk board.

And the fact that he's left his post under a cloud of mystery regarding his corporate overlords and their micro-managing is laughable. Find me a national news outlet that isn't bought and paid for.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... urrent-tv/

He'd better have more up his sleeve than that if he wants to remain relevant. That Channel is about one step above being dead. Half the shit on there looks like it was produced in high school media classes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

"A few days afterward, he set up a new Twitter account, called “FOKNewsChannel,” short for “Friends of Keith.”

that's hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 am 
Hoagland-esque

The only thing I liked about his show was the worst persons segment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:30 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Olbermann’s average down to 46,000 viewers
http://www.bnet.com/blog/sports-enterta ... ewers/1680

could it happen to a nicer guy? </sarcasm>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that didn't take long ...

Current TV Dismisses Keith Olbermann
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/current-tv-dismisses-keith-olbermann/

As much as I like KO, the guy is just toxic. He'd been feuding w. Current executives since at least January.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan