The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

This ran in the late Spring / early Summer on NatGeo and it was amazing. The Hutterites are like the Amish, but do not totally shun technology and also live with a totally communal lifestyle.

Anyway, apparently following the show, which ran 10 episodes, all hell broke loose between the Hutterites and Nat Geo, where now the Hutterite elders (and cast members) are saying that major storylines on the show were staged and the producers are denying it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/08/hutterites-want-apology-for-natgeo-television-show/

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to my homegirl, Bertha, who was one of the breakout stars of the show. Bertha was a salty old bitch that you best not fuck with, but also had a rarely shown sweet side that was adorable.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

We've been watching that and I tend to agree with the claims they make. It seemed set-up and very subversive to me. You could almost the producers trying to force the actions of the teenagers to conform to their values.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure a lot of it is re-enacted or they are prompted to say things. I've only seen the latter half of the season, waiting for the re-runs of the 1st half. I've recently seen a TV news report where Wesley contradicts himself, again, and now says that the staged scenes were re-enactments of events that actually happened, so I'm not sure what to believe.

I definitely think some shit was set up by producers, like the snowmobile trip and the college storyline. But that's the nature of reality TV, I guess. I find it hard to feel sympathy for the colony since they got $100,000 to do the show and they surely knew what was going on while they were filming. Bertha is no fool. I think they are being coerced into decrying the show now that the other Hutterites in Canada are pissed about it.

Sad that there will be no 2nd season of the show, what with all this controversy. Really liked most of the people on the show, especially bad ass Bertha and Wesley, who is a riot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:12 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Overrall I'm quite disappointed with the NatGeo channel. I expected them to be better. This afternoon I was trying to watch a "documentary" (not sure what else to call it) where they were rebuilding a Nazi superbomb and trying to test it out to find why it wasn't as effective as they thought it would be in WWII. But I had to turn it after the third time a commercial came on for Taboo. Personally I don't care anything for this program; I don't think it is necessary and I don't care to watch it but hey I know I'm a small demographic so they aren't making things like this for me. But I damned sure don't want to have to answer questions about a bunch of sexually deviant behavior to my preteen child in the middle of a Sunday afternoon because they continuously showed commercials for this atrocity of a program.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:37 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Well, typing that got em stirred up. I had to email them to tell them I didn't appreciate discussing this material with a child because they didn't have the good sense to air commercials in a suitable timeslot. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

I guess you are not .... taboo, Vamp Elvis.

Don't your kids deserve to know about the dude with a monstrous mole on his chest or some nutjob who collects ALF memorabilia or the personal lives & childhood of the Tranny Lover 3 stars?

No, clearly you are not taboo.

Now, about those Hutterites ... why don't they just let the smart ones go to school to help the overall colony?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:39 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Well, there are two mindsets I suppose. One is the "conspiratorial controller" belief that they can't keep control over them the more education they have. The second I'll call the "guardian protector" (with absolutely no apologies to Keirsey and their fluff) in which they want to protect their children from secular influence. I'm more worried about the inbreeding. Maybe it was just the people they choose to be on the show, but too many of those girls looked alike for me to think there was a healthy breeding population.

Oh, and Marvin was my favorite. That guy was awesome - except when he had his whole arm up the cows vajayjay.