The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:52 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I love the original. Scared the crap out of me in fifth grade. Less impressed with the sequel series, and the TV show. The show seemed to get silly week after week with no end in sight or feeling of the story moving forward.

Probably has to do with Kenneth Johnson not being involved with the other two.
----------------------------------------------------
Per Variety and AICN:

Alien lizards set to invade ABC in 'V'
'4400's' Scott Peters to write sci-fi adaptation
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
The 1980s miniseries 'V,' in which aliens invaded Earth, served as an allegory for the Holocaust and Nazi Germany.

Warner Bros. TV, which was behind the original longform, is once again producing the project, which was sold as a spec script to the Alphabet net.

Peters is set to exec produce, along with HDFilms principal Jace Hall.

Hall, the former head of Warner Bros.’ videogame division who has worked on titles including "F.E.A.R.," will help expand "V" into other platforms, including gaming.

Peters, who earned two Emmy noms for "The 4400," said he wasn’t looking to do another sci-fi piece. But when Warner Bros. TV approached him about reinventing "V," the producer said he couldn’t resist.

"Whenever I mention ‘V’ to anybody, they still have a lot of good memories about the original movie and series," Peters said. "Everybody has that imagery of their uniforms, or the visitor eating a hamster. It’s a science fiction icon and too good to pass up."

The original "V" served as an allegory for the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. Peters said he won’t duplicate that concept, except that the new "V" will still focus on what happens when the masses have blind faith in their leaders.

In this case, the new "V" will center on Erica Evans, a Homeland Security agent with an aimless son who’s got problems. When the aliens arrive, her son gloms on to them — causing tension within the family. As in the original "V," several storylines will unfold simultaneously.

But even without the same storyline, the original "V’s" bones will remain: As in the ’80s version, the show will open with an enormous army of spaceships hovering over the world’s major cities. The visitors say they’ve come to help Earth, but their motives are nefarious (in the original, they wanted to steal the world’s water supply).

Peters first pitched "V" to networks but failed to spark interest; Warner Bros. TV sent the scribe back to write "V" on spec — and ABC bought it.

The original "V" scored a tremendous 40 share for its closing episode in 1983. That success spawned a sequel and a weekly series, which aired in the 1984-85 season.

Original "V" writer-producer-director Kenneth Johnson recently attempted to revive "V" as "V: The Second Generation" but is not involved in the Peters version.

As for Peters, scribe has been spending more time behind the lens, helming multiple episodes of "The 4400," as well as "Jericho," "Burn Notice" and "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles." He’s also directing the new CBS pilot "Harper’s Island."

Peters also developed the pilot "Found" for ABC last year. He began his career as a writer-producer on "The Outer Limits."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=14&cs=1

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:53 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

and FYI: I loved Marc Singer; and Jane Badler was hot enough to burn you. Her backside should have been bronzed.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

Last edited by Lone Gunman on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:21 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

:twisted: :shock: :twisted:
This is ridiculous.
If Kenneth Johnson isn't involved, then I'm not going to watch this crap.

Here's another "reimagined" show that's going to suck, just like Knight Rider, Battlestar Galatica, etc.

V is one of my favorite shows of all time. I remained devoted to the tv show, even though Johnson wasn't involved. I read his new V book (no, it wasn't great, but it was still V).

These reimagined shows are just lipstick on a pig.

As much as a want Quantum Leap to come back, I know that if they do it it won't be what I want, so I'm kind of glad they've left that show alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:25 pm 
British Royal

On the one hand I hate the idea. On the other hand, look what happened with BSG.

I'll wait & see and will at least check out the first episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

redsonsuperman wrote:
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Here's another "reimagined" show that's going to suck, just like Knight Rider, Battlestar Galatica, etc.

Battlestar Galactica far from sucks. It's probably one of the top five shows on TV. It is far, FAR, superior to the original in every way, shape, and form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 pm 
British Royal

Yes, I meant to add that too. BSG is incredible, one of the best shows there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:11 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I know I'm in the minority on that, but I just hate the new BSG.
You can't go home again.

The only episode i liked from the new bsg was the one where they looked up and saw the stars from what was supposed to be the perspective of being on earth. everything else SUCKS. hahaha.

10 reasons why the old BSG is better than the new BSG
1. Count Iblis. (It's over. I win. New BSG has never had someone as badass as the Count).
2. "There are those who believe... that life here... began out there." My show had a kick ass opening.
3. Richard Hatch. There's no other Apollo, and you know it.
4. Starbuck is a cubit-betting, hard-drinking dude.
5. Boomer is black and he's not a frackin' Cylon.
6. Borellian Nomen.
7. You can have six. All I need is two: Athena and Sheba.
8. The Ships of Light.
9. Pyramid (Galactica poker)
10. Triad (basketball, only with lots of fouls).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:36 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

I have to agree with RSS on this one. Battlestar Galactica (original) was cheesy enough to make it great. Not to mention Dirk Freaking Benedict who was not only the goddamn A-TEAM but also in a movie with Roddy Piper and Capt. Lou Albano. Yeah, the dad from the Pondorosa was there (thanks for all the years of Bonanza reruns, Dad. Those are now years I can't get back).

It would be like doing Buck Rodgers and not having the "Biddy Biddy Biddy" robot there. (Sorry can't remember it's name)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:20 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

New BSG > old BSG

There's a retro TV channel that I used to watch the reruns on of the old show. I loved the show as a kid. But as I watched the old ones, they just got shittier and shittier.

I'll always like the old ones, but the new stuff is some of the best storytelling and writing I've ever seen.

OK, biggest gripe with old BSG: How come as the show went on, all the "last remanants of the human race" did was run into humans all over the universe, from outposts to planets to the evil Nazi dudes? Explain that please.

Game, set, match.

Plus that stupid dog sucked.

Last edited by Lone Gunman on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:08 pm 
British Royal

I was a hater too. I didn't watch the new one until Season 3 started, they reran the first episode. I was hooked & went out and got the first two seasons.

I loved the original as a kid & they're fun to watch now but it's just not as good as the new one. The story is just way, way better.

I'd highly recommend getting the pilot min-series of the new BSG & watching that. Then tell me it sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I have no nostalgic attatchment to the original BSG as it came and went before my time, so I always thought it was pretty damn awful. Even when Sci-Fi showed reruns of it when I was younger I could barely make it through an entire episode. It was a great idea hampered by pure 70's cheese. And it was the sort of cheese that took itself too seriously for me to watch.

The new one takes that core idea and actually makes it a smart, engaging, no-frills drama foucsing on everything from religion to war to human hubris, tragedy, and triumph. I'll take it ten times out of ten.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Preview clip of the new V ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQoSCEMzJYE

Looks pretty good. I'd hoped that Juliet was one of the visitors, but she's part of the resistance instead.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Man, that wasn't too bad. Not bad at all. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Wouldn't you just love to sit around, hang out, and watch it with Bruce Rux?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBC1H-t9Q0

Call me crazy, but after watching the the V preview and the old V series opening, I'd rather watch the old V.