The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Watched the final 2 episodes of this season of V last night.

I quite liked it.

Good to see them picking up the pace a bit more, it seemed a bit too slow-going earlier on when they first returned from hiatus.

There are still some gaping plot holes, but overall it was a fun 1st season.

Thoughts going into Season 2 ...

Great to see hottie V turn 5 column. She is too sexy to be a villain and I can't wait to see her team with Juliett.

I still loathe Juliett's kid. He is a whiny emo bitch and needs to shut up and starting fighting the aliens.

Liked how Hobbes may be compromised by Marcus (the 2nd in command V). Additionally, I'm not sure what to make of Marcus reviving the traitor V at the end. Does this mean Marcus is also 5th column or is he pulling some kind of 3rd party coup and he is even more evil than Anna? I'm better on former but hoping for latter.

Interesting to see black V (Ryan?) switch sides. I'm sure he'll switch back at a critical moment.

Anna's freak out and her "first feelings" was kind of cheesy but also awesome. An enraged Anna could be terrifying next season, as if the 5th column created a Frankenstein by awakening true evil in Anna's mind instead of her cold, insect-like invasion.

Nothing to say about Father Jack. He's just an oddball and seems to be the one dude destined to fuck shit up for the 5th column all the time.

And, finally, we have Chad Decker. If he switches to 5th column next season, it could be cool, but, I like having him as a wildcard character.

If done right, season 2 could be really good or it could be Heroes-level crap.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:59 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Good thoughts all the way around, Tim. Although let's fucking face it, the only way it will devolve into "Heroes-level crap" is if it takes the coolest character gives him amnesia and drops him in a crate on the docks with an Irish gangster family.
Executive Producer Scott Rosenburg has fucked up a lot of stuff in his TV career (October Road, Life on Mars) but to drop to Kring-level is pretty improbable.

I think the biggest wildcard is Anna's emotional awakening in the ultra-evil realm. Once she loses her calculated precision she'll be prone to making mistakes and showing chinks in the armor of her measured image/invasion.

Overall I love the show, plotholes and all. Like if you're Juliet/Erica, isn't the first thing you ask at dinner is 1) What the fuck are we eating? 2) Where the fuck do you come from? and 3) What the fuck are we drinking? Some stuff with the most obvious questions just gets glossed over, a little like Lost.

I still would like to see the main fifth column group get a few more people. Not necessarily of the red-shirt variety but at least something more than a resistance built around 4 people, a couple laptops, hand guns, shoe string and duct tape. I mean c'mon.

Also Juliet's former partner has yet to surface and I wonder why, what end game is playing out if any, or did they just forget about him (while the showrunner shuffle was going on). Also don't tell me the (hot) v doctor chick died by hitting her head on a lamp. That's a fucking stupid Lost-style death, if she did. The mom being killed was dope.

I don't believe Ryan would turn that quick, but it's still an interesting storyline.

Agreed on Anna's daughter's turn good, very cool - and by being called queen by the v doctor guy it makes me wonder if she could lead a rival sect "officially" that breaks off from the V's, though not officially 5th Column.

The Hobbs guy has been a nice addition but the whole mysterious cloud the writers try to cloak him in, fucking rubs thin after awhile. Still a cool character but his wheeling and dealing with Marcus seems a stretch.

Father Jack: LMAO Tim. You nailed it. Expect for the Thornbirds sexual tension with Erica, what else does he bring to the table? At least he stood up to that creepy old priest who I've been pegging as a V in disguise and basically told him to get his shinebox with his homily. The funny part was, at the end of mass I expected Erica and Hobbs to pass out 5th Column pamphlets to the smattering of people that stayed.

The plan with Marcus. Interesting. Maybe he wants to use the good doctor guy as a plant or just reprogram him to be evil again or both. I would hate to see him go 5th column, then it would turn into Heroes where you couldn't swing a dead cat in a crowded room without hitting a fucking "special".

Decker: I like the character. His bleeding heart ass just got a cold dose of reality. He was a bit of a rube, but now dude knows the score. It will be interesting to see how he proccesses shit going forward. Nice reveal about how the Vs actually gave him an anuerism (sp), and did not remove one. Anna's mouthpiece is slowly coming around to 5th Column and he will be a huge piece of the puzzle for the resistance I think going forward.

Overall I am happy it got picked up next year, but disappointed it got only a half-order. 13 shows isn't long enough. I read somewhere to expect it next November. I hope ABC doesn't mess it up.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Good points, LG. Some thoughts on your thoughts ...

The good V doctor chick is still alive. She's the one that called Ryan to tell him about the kidnapping of his preggers wife.

My biggest plothole annoyance with V is how the 5th column just hang out together and call each other. Like Hobbes is the most wanted man in the world, or something, and there he is in an NYC church with the FBI agent tasked with catching him. Together, they stood out like a sore thumb.

I agree that old man priest is probably a V.

Good point about Marcus & the 5th column. With Lisa and Marcus and the top V doctor guy, it's like, who isn't a 5th columnist. That's why I'm hoping he's going to pull some kind of military coup or something.

I thought the V 5th columnist killed Juliet's partner way back, earlier in the season. That's when we found out that he was a 5th columnist.

I agree about Hobbes' wheeling and dealing. That said, it was made a bit more tolerable once we found out that Marcus has his own agenda. Otherwise, it seemed to not make much sense.

My one big complaint w. Season One ... I know they have a low budget, but not one fucking reptilian face reveal?! I thought, for sure, that we'd see something like that in the season finale (but I'm glad they didn't try to show us the baby hybrid V, because it would have been cheesy as hell).

You make a good point re: Decker, as he should sort of represent the "average" person who is now slowly coming around to the V's evil-ness.

Given that this season ended right on the precipice of an outright invasion (and I loved how it mirrored the pilot episode in style), it will be interesting to see where they start Season Two. I could totally see it beginning "six months later," after the invasion, just to cut the budget of what would surely be expensive "invasion" scenes.

I thought that I'd heard that V was coming back mid-season, but I may be wrong about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Tim, brother, what the fuck happened to this show? Are you still watching?

I can't believe the camp. No, really. I can't believe how over the top it is. The CGI is so fukking bad it ought to be on Syfy with Jeremy Fucking London and Tina Yothers starring in it.

I'm still watching it, but it's getting pretty bad. This last ep from two weeks ago was somewhat decent, but where exactly is the tension? There is none.

My biggest beef (besides Diana in the ship's basement) is the way the Visitors talk. No. 1 they would not call themselves Visitors and No. 2 they sure as hell wouldn't call themselves "V's". For them they would use words like I don't know, "us" and "we". Do the writers even pay attention to details like this?

Also, Erica's son has to be one of the most hated characters on ABC, yet the writers make his role even more integral this year (groan), is that a middle finger to the audience or what?

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:16 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Diana?

Say it isn't so. The REAL Diana is on the show?

Tempted as I am, I will never watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

RSS: Indeed. The genuine article.
She looks pretty damn good in a cougar-way 30-some odd years later. The plot and her dialogue? Another matter.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Aaaaand ... V has been cancelled.

Good riddance. Never watched the 2nd season and couldn't get behind it at all after the 1st season just meandered endlessly.

In other sad news, my guilty pleasure Outsourced, has also been cancelled.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Cheer up, buddy. Chuck got renewed. And I'm sure you're an Ashton fan so I'm certain you'll be glued to the new 2.5 men. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:53 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
Aaaaand ... V has been cancelled.

Good riddance. Never watched the 2nd season and couldn't get behind it at all after the 1st season just meandered endlessly.

In other sad news, my guilty pleasure Outsourced, has also been cancelled.

Fuck yes! Death to all re-imagined television.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6