The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mustaine vs. Hammett
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:25 am 
Merovingian

i'm not knocking his place in history at all. he will always be a beatle. the only thing i have to say is that HE SUCKED! BIG TIME!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:51 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Was Ringo technically a great drummer? No. Was he innovative and a fundamentally sound musician? You bet.

- He was the first important rock drummer to switch from a traditonal off-hand grip to a matched grip.
- He changed the tuning on his drums and popularized the technique of miking each drum separately in the studio.
- He had absolutely perfect tempo, allowing the Beatles to record multiple takes -- sometimes dozens -- and then edit together the takes to produce a single song.
- He could play against odd tempos ("Here Comes the Sun" is a good example)
- He could play in almost any genre the Beatles needed him to play.

He also came up with some stuff like putting the drummer on a riser that don't matter in terms of ability, but the definitely redefined the role of the rock drummer.

Could anyone else have taken Ringo's place in the Beatles? The rest of the band, including George Martin, didn't think so. Ringo played on every Beatles studio recording, with maybe one or two exceptions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:24 am 
CFR Fat Cat

mstuartm wrote:
Was Ringo technically a great drummer? No. Was he innovative and a fundamentally sound musician? You bet.

- He was the first important rock drummer to switch from a traditonal off-hand grip to a matched grip.
- He changed the tuning on his drums and popularized the technique of miking each drum separately in the studio.
- He had absolutely perfect tempo, allowing the Beatles to record multiple takes -- sometimes dozens -- and then edit together the takes to produce a single song.
- He could play against odd tempos ("Here Comes the Sun" is a good example)
- He could play in almost any genre the Beatles needed him to play.

He also came up with some stuff like putting the drummer on a riser that don't matter in terms of ability, but the definitely redefined the role of the rock drummer.

Could anyone else have taken Ringo's place in the Beatles? The rest of the band, including George Martin, didn't think so. Ringo played on every Beatles studio recording, with maybe one or two exceptions.

And those few exceptions occurred on the White Album when Paul McCartney was playing around. "Back in the USSR" for example is Macca drumming.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

OP, sorry guy, stupid question.

But, ok, I'm st00pid too....

Mustaine wins as far as riffs and shit (RUST IN PEACE)

But, I have never heard a Mustaine solo that sounded as good to me as Kirk's Fade To Black or Master of Puppets or Creeping Death solo. But then again, in my humble opinion Kirk has a lot more misses than hits. (EDIT: actually, I don't know if I can stand behind that statement. His studio solos fit the music really really fuckin well and I enjoy them a lot)

As far as Mustaine being a dick, I think he himself explains some of it in this:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=148746

(being "on da streets" from the time you're 15 years old. You develop and adapt things that may not give the best picture of you to the "rest of the world")

It really isn't about who's a better guitar player... it's all about who has the better band. And.... Slayer wins by a mile in my opinion. "It's not the parts, but the sum of the parts" typashit