The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mustaine vs. Hammett
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 am 
Merovingian

RustyShackleford wrote:
So you're saying Van Hagar was better without Diamond DAve? I beg to differ.

not saying that at all. where did i say that? never said that because i love the old van halen. just don't like roth. doesn't mean i don't like his music, just don't like him as a person. he's an asshole. he has a great voice but his attitude sucks.

hagar is awesome!
he's a great guy with a great voice and a great attitude. love his solo stuff before van halen. love his work with van halen. love his work in chickenfoot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

RustyShackleford wrote:
theorist wrote:
i never once said he was a terrible guitarist. in fact, i admit he's very good. i just don't like him as a person. the same with david lee roth. he has a great voice but he's an ass. that's all i'm saying.

I would say that. Definitely.

Sammy wasn't a one-trick pony. He made good music before Van Halen. He made good music with Van Halen. He has made good music after Van Halen.

They were lucky to have him in that band. And it's pretty apparent that they never made anything that should even be listened to in the time since he has been out of the band. They're now a joke. Actually, they're not even that. They're nothing.

And Diamond Dave? He's just a walking disaster.

Last edited by redsonsuperman on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

This thread makes me want to go listen to Standing Hampton. Great album -- haven't heard it in years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm 
Merovingian

mstuartm wrote:
This thread makes me want to go listen to Standing Hampton. Great album -- haven't heard it in years.

yeah, great album but i like three lock box better. love the song in the room. sammy is awesome. love his voice. perhaps the best in rock?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I used to be in that 'Anti Mustaine' camp for years. I always liked Megadeth though, but hated Dave. As the years past, I mellowed on my stance, and after seeing 'Some Kinda Monster' I felt bad for being one of the kids Dave was crying about lol.

But as far as a head to head comparison, well that's a tough call.

I think for Metallica, Hammet is the better fit. Admittedly, Hammet copied most of the leads that were already there for the recording of 'Kill 'em All', But as time went on, his more classical style which showed up on 'Ride the Lightning' and onward was a better fit then Dave's super fast style.

As far as Dave's song writing contributions. It is true he has song writing credits all the way up to 'Master of Puppets' (you can hear Metallica riffs all over Megadeth albums) but I would say it was Cliff Burton that had more influence to the song writing than Dave did. It was Cliff that added that classical music element to the band. (which suited Hammet's style)

After his death, the band was never the same. '...And justice for all' lacked the organic feel of the the previous albums, and after that..well that's a matter of personal musical tastes.

However if Dave had remained in the band, I highly doubt the black album would have happened, nor the albums that followed. Hammet is too mellow to fight about musical direction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:57 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

And Justice for All also suffered from one of the most ham-fisted mixdown jobs that I have ever heard on a rock album.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:21 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

mstuartm wrote:
And Justice for All also suffered from one of the most ham-fisted mixdown jobs that I have ever heard on a rock album.

Yup.. you would think at some point they would have went back and remixed that album for some special edition release. I know they did remaster all the albums a few years back, but they didn't really change anything.

If you mess with your EQ settings enough, you can almost make out a vague bassline lol almost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Actually, I like the Guitar Hero mix of Death Magnetic much, much better than the CD mix. I fact, the CD mix pissed me off. After I heard the news I went and dl'ed the GH mix in lossless format...it's the only one I listen to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:21 am 
C2C Stalwart

I still think Kill em All was the greatest Metallica album.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:24 am 
C2C Stalwart

theorist wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:

not saying that at all. where did i say that? never said that because i love the old van halen. just don't like roth. doesn't mean i don't like his music, just don't like him as a person. he's an asshole. he has a great voice but his attitude sucks.

hagar is awesome!
he's a great guy with a great voice and a great attitude. love his solo stuff before van halen. love his work with van halen. love his work in chickenfoot.

As a drummer, you have to admit that Alex's stuff is better in the Roth era...now Mind you I'm about to give you peart...though I still think he's nothing compared to Keith Moon.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:34 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

John Fucking Bonham. The first 30 seconds of The Rover says it all.

I'm also a big Charlie Watts fan. One of the few big-time rock drummers who did his thing mostly on a jazz kit. Sometimes less is definitely more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
Merovingian

sometimes less is better. there are alot of great drummers out there that play on small kits. that's why i love the old drummers like ginger baker.

alex van halen is a hell of a drummer too. i like his power and his style. yeah, the older van halen was harder than the hagar stuff but it's two different styles. i still think hagar is awesome and diamond dave is an asshole.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

Ya know, I think Ringo falls into that "less is more" category, as well. He doesn't get his props as a drummer -- he knew exactly what worked in context for the Beatles, and it's telling that he played on almost EVERY Beatles studio recording.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm 
C2C Stalwart

mstuartm wrote:
John Fucking Bonham. The first 30 seconds of The Rover says it all.

I'm also a big Charlie Watts fan. One of the few big-time rock drummers who did his thing mostly on a jazz kit. Sometimes less is definitely more.

Times changed. With multitrackers etc available, it was more possible to give drummmers a good share of the mix. You have to realize that drummers like Charlie Watts had to fight thru the mix. That's prolly why drummers such as Baker and Moon became over the top drummers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 pm 
C2C Stalwart

mstuartm wrote:
Ya know, I think Ringo falls into that "less is more" category, as well. He doesn't get his props as a drummer -- he knew exactly what worked in context for the Beatles, and it's telling that he played on almost EVERY Beatles studio recording.

I think that anyone who knocks Ringo's input to the Beatles or his place in rock history is just plain jealous.