The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

IchBinAußerirdischen wrote:
Everything that can be done on a physical guitar, drums, or bass, can be done just as better *and then some* on a computer.

I'm sorry, but that's absolute fucking bullshit.

Show me a computer (or a programmer) that could be mistaken for a John Bonham.

Ok, some freak could probably do it if they spend enough time on it and were themselves musically talented, but, it would take way more resources (money and time) than actually finding a motherfucker that can play.

And that's just drums. Bass... harder... Guitar...even harder. And the hardest of all: a (good) band playing together as one unit, reacting to all these different nuances.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm 
Hoagland-esque

If it can't be done now, it'll be done later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:32 am 
Low Initiate Freemason

IchBinAußerirdischen wrote:
If it can't be done now, it'll be done later.

Which is sort of beside the point of this thread. Modern music vs. future music et al.

Where we're more or less at right now is that we can make Humans sound like robots rather than make robots sound like humans.
And that I feel is the reason people feel modern music just doesn't do it for them.

But just to give an example of where the technology is at right now: most of the time you can't just slap a plugin/machine/application on a performance and let it do the job. A monkey can be taught to put Autotune on a vocal performance or to quantize a drum take "to the grid," but don't expect the results to be very good.

The reality is, even with artist examples you could think of that represent this awful-modern-music, you need a musical human telling the technology what to do for it to sound any good.

People seem to have this misconception that the labels take a britney spears vocal take, slap some voodoo-plugin on the track and voila! It's not quite like that. The people that are paid to "correct" the vocals actually know what they are doing, compiling a final vocal take from multiple takes, applying the technology where needed and knowing when not to use it. It's still a time consuming effort and from what I can tell, these people get paid real good too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 am 
Hoagland-esque

I can't stand hip-hop or modern pop. I like allot of different types of music but my favorite is hard rock and heavy metal. Like Slipknot, Tool, Mushroomhead, Godsmack, Alice in Chains. A few months ago my friend loaned me one of his external hard drives that had 40,000 songs on it and he still has more on another hard drive that I haven't gotten yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:31 am 
Shadow Person

eagle wrote:
I can't stand hip-hop or modern pop. I like allot of different types of music but my favorite is hard rock and heavy metal. Like Slipknot, Tool, Mushroomhead, Godsmack, Alice in Chains. A few months ago my friend loaned me one of his external hard drives that had 40,000 songs on it and he still has more on another hard drive that I haven't gotten yet.

Damn ! I thought i had alot of songs !!!!!!!!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am 
Hoagland-esque

I wish my two gig could hold that many song, but then again, there aren't many songs that I like nowadays :?