The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 am 
Hoagland-esque

...Seriously, it really does blow, or well at least it does in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

yeah, you are right. you have to really dig to find good music, but it's out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:50 pm 
Shadow Person

8) There's some good stuff out there !
John Mayer is very talented !

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:45 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I can not agree more. I have felt that way for years. I used to think maybe I was just getting old, but then I remembered that I have hated a lot of music when I was younger too, but now it's pretty much all garbage.

I have a few theory's as to why.

1) IMAGE:

Much like that song "Video killed the Radio Star" which was true to an extent. Before MTV and the like, Labels invested money into artist with talent, and would want solid albums from them for many years. After MTV, Labels cared more about image and singles. This continued through the early 90's when the grunge thing took off and and showed you didn't have to be pretty to be successful. As soon as the Labels figured this out, they began to pump out a million clone bands, and killed the genera as fast as it appeared.

2) TRENDS:

Like stated above, anytime something hits, the Labels quickly pump out a million clones and over saturate what ever is big at the moment, milking it for every penny. Music gets crappy, kids don't buy, something comes along, kids buy, labels exploit and kill the scene, kids stop buying, things get crappy, the cycle begins again.

3) THE INTERNET:

I believe this monster was the labels own fault. Years of charging too much money for shitty CD's led to a small fire turning into an inferno. Had they all dropped the price on CD's, especially older ones, I am sure Napster would not have been the problem it became (it still would have been somewhat of an issue). Once they killed Napster, other things came along, and people were not just stealing songs, but now whole albums.

4) COOKIE CUTTER:

The rise of the internet coincides with the rise of the pop tart, manufactured 'artists' thing. Now the labels were into investing money into short term acts where they can make serious cash on one or two albums and then move on to the next thing, Just like the 80's but this time even worse. There is no more investing into an act that can sustain many years of great albums. It's even now to a point where they don't care about singles, now its ringtones and shit like that where they make their money.

To make things worse, they find/create bands that are just rip offs of older acts, originality is too risky of an investment. They would rather invest in some watered down, safe bet that they can make a quick few bucks off of selling to dopey kids that don't know any better and then move on.
(notice the cycle here? But no period of good music this time lol)

5) CULTURE:

Most of the kids the Labels target these days are of an age where the internet has always existed. Britney Spears has always existed, TMZ and shit has always existed. They are more inclined to be told what is 'hot' or 'trendy' rather then find stuff on their own. The internet tells them. So as long as they are told its 'cool' they are more likely to spend their (parents) money on it. Like ringtones and iTunes singles, etc.

And those are some of my reasons I believe the music industry is in the state it is in these days.

Like the other said above me, If you dig, you can find some good stuff still... Indy bands on myspace, and sites like that can yield some good results. But I think the days of new artist on major labels that don't suck balls is long gone. Maybe one day that will change, but I don't see it anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:52 am 
Hoagland-esque

I know exactly what you mean by that. Another thing is, whenever the TV is turned onto fuse (the music television spawn of satan) i cringe and go into my room because its fastly becoming just a bunch of whiney, screamo, rap garbage. However there a few good bands.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 am 
Hoagland-esque

I'm not sure where i read it but it said that a " "hit" is only million albums sold", i couldn't agree more with this! Because, there are so many people in this world now that a million albums can be sold in a friggin day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

IchBinAußerirdischen wrote:
I'm not sure where i read it but it said that a " "hit" is only million albums sold", i couldn't agree more with this! Because, there are so many people in this world now that a million albums can be sold in a friggin day!

not only so many people, but so many outlets selling.

My mother told me a story in ancint times when the Beatles were here about having to ride a bus downtown to buy a record. One location in the entire city of Cincinnati. In the 80s there were at lesst three record stores within 15 minutes of my house, now its all online and instant.

And yes, it really is crap... cookie cutter crap... its all sounding the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:45 pm 
Merovingian

Clendennan wrote:
In the 80s there were at lesst three record stores within 15 minutes of my house...

i spent hundreds of dollars at the national record mart when i was a kid growing up in the '80s. that was back in the days of 8-tracks and albums. now there's only fye. and you can't even find the music you want. if i want something classic i have to get it online. fye doesn't stock much older rock.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:01 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

theorist wrote:
Clendennan wrote:
In the 80s there were at lesst three record stores within 15 minutes of my house...

i spent hundreds of dollars at the national record mart when i was a kid growing up in the '80s. that was back in the days of 8-tracks and albums. now there's only fye. and you can't even find the music you want. if i want something classic i have to get it online. fye doesn't stock much older rock.

we had a chain of stores in Michigan called Harmony House. Was a shock when nearly all of them went away .

thankfully there's enough good local music produced in the D that there are still a number of small music shops that carry the local stuff and/or cheap used cds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

I used to love having local shops that would special order whatever they didn't have, now the only place I know of that does it is Hastings here. They don't want to stock anything but what is hip at the moment, but would it kill them to keep one copy of iconic albums stocked just in case? My copies of Alice Cooper's Killer and Kiss' Alive! were damaged so I go to rebuy them but what do I find? One CD by each of them and they were the cardboard cased "Save the earth packaging" Greatest Hits albums. I had to get them special ordered and asked why they have nothing but greatest hits in stock, they answered "We sell a LOT of those" so I responded, "Ok, you got people wanting stuff from those acts, why not stock their other CDs?"

The numbnuts said (and I quote) "If they did anything good, we'd have it".

I wanted to slap him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

Primus wrote:

The numbnuts said (and I quote) "If they did anything good, we'd have it".

I wanted to slap him.

Well, your experience isnt a solo one. I can say that without a doubt, some of the most self righteous upppity better-than-thou people Ive met in my life werent Baptist church goers... but record store employees. The more eclectic the shop, the worse the attitude... but i kept going.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 am 
Hoagland-esque

Anybody have a prediction as to when good music will make a comeback?...if it does?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

IchBinAußerirdischen wrote:
Anybody have a prediction as to when good music will make a comeback?...if it does?

2012. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
8) There's some good stuff out there !
John Mayer is very talented !

John Mayer is a pussy tart! Fucking EMO music sucks. Alice and Chains got a new album out and it kicks John Mayer in the nuts. Ozzie also has a new album. want some good music listen to REAL ROCK! not that EMO crap!

"There is no such thing as black magic, only cheap tricks." -Doctor Parnassus, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:33 am 
C2C 1st Hour Pop-In Guest

If you can't find good music, you aren't looking hard enough, man. There will always be good music, you just have to look. It's just harder and harder to find as you get older and being a grown-up takes out of all the fun time you spent as a kid digging around record stores, comic shops, and the world just trying to find new cool stuff to connect with.

Luckily, I'm totally immature and still spend a lot of time hunting for music. There's great new stuff in every genre out there.
I