The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:09 am 
Hoagland-esque

Primus wrote:
I used to love having local shops that would special order whatever they didn't have, now the only place I know of that does it is Hastings here. They don't want to stock anything but what is hip at the moment, but would it kill them to keep one copy of iconic albums stocked just in case? My copies of Alice Cooper's Killer and Kiss' Alive! were damaged so I go to rebuy them but what do I find? One CD by each of them and they were the cardboard cased "Save the earth packaging" Greatest Hits albums. I had to get them special ordered and asked why they have nothing but greatest hits in stock, they answered "We sell a LOT of those" so I responded, "Ok, you got people wanting stuff from those acts, why not stock their other CDs?"

The numbnuts said (and I quote) "If they did anything good, we'd have it".

I wanted to slap him.

What an idiot. ON the other hand, if they are a small shop they have to balance what the individual customers want vs how much they can sell to keep the rent and bills paid. What a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 pm 
Shadow Person

8) I'm still living in the 70's and 80's music-wise !!!!!!
Great stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
It's amazing how little good new music there is today !!!!!!! :x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:33 pm 
C2C 1st Hour Pop-In Guest

Alright fellow old foggies.
Name a Genre and three bands you like in that genre and a NEW artist that I think you'll dig, plus a link to a song by them.
Any genre.

Also, there's a music service that does basically this too, and is how I find a lot of new music http://www.pandora.com it uses the music genome project to find stuff you like from a song/artist you provide that you like and it allows you to refine your musical lists over time, as well.

As for music being derivative, ALL music is derivative, you just hear the influences cuz you're older. The Stones, Zeppelin, even The Beatles where all influenced and ripping off other bands to make their sounds, thats what musicians do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:16 pm 
Shadow Person

Louis.DK wrote:
Name a Genre and three bands you like in that genre and a NEW artist that I think you'll dig, plus a link to a song by them.
Any genre.

Also, there's a music service that does basically this too, and is how I find a lot of new music http://www.pandora.com it uses the music genome project to find stuff you like from a song/artist you provide that you like and it allows you to refine your musical lists over time, as well.

As for music being derivative, ALL music is derivative, you just hear the influences cuz you're older. The Stones, Zeppelin, even The Beatles where all influenced and ripping off other bands to make their sounds, thats what musicians do.

You are certainly right about the BEATLES !!!!! McCARTNEY said BUDDY HOLLY made he and LENNON song-writers !!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Louis.DK wrote:
Any genre.

Third wave ska --

Suicide Machines -- "Honor Among Thieves", "Islands" and "No Face"
Mustard Plug -- "Beer", "Mr. Smiley" and "Hit Me! Hit Me!"
Reel Big Fish -- "Sell Out", "Somebody Hates Me" and "She Has A Girlfriend Now"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 pm 

redsonsuperman wrote:
Louis.DK wrote:
Any genre.

Third wave ska --

Suicide Machines -- "Honor Among Thieves", "Islands" and "No Face"
Mustard Plug -- "Beer", "Mr. Smiley" and "Hit Me! Hit Me!"
Reel Big Fish -- "Sell Out", "Somebody Hates Me" and "She Has A Girlfriend Now"

You Win! LoL. I consider Ska a subgenre of punk, and it's out of my element, but I'll see what I can come up with...

Streetlight Manifesto
http://www.myspace.com/streetlightmanifesto
new, as in first released a big release in 2003/2004.

I'm more of a Dead Kennedys, X, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Fugazi, Ramones fan. Green Day and that California "pop" punk sound makes me wanna stab myself in the ear. However I met NOFX once, and they where all really nice, cool chill guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:27 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

As long as Josh Homme is working, there is still hope for rock and roll today. I just wish he had more company.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm 

mstuartm wrote:
As long as Josh Homme is working, there is still hope for rock and roll today. I just wish he had more company.

I've seen QotSA live five times, and I'm always happy to go see them again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:08 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

So..... I'll give you 3 I like and you'll try to provide me with something new to fit my tastes? Am I getting this right?

Let's define a new genre, "Metal of Sorts"
And I'll list three bands which in my mind are related (though probably nobody else would agree) and we'll see what you come up with for me.
Dream Theater
Iron Maiden
Dragonforce

And no, I'm not trying to game the system here, these are three bands which I enjoy immensely that remind me of of one another.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm 

man, no one's giving me a break, first ska and now power metal operatics (okay besides the Iron Maiden, but as far as Dragonforce and Dream Theater go, I'm like on the otherside of the metal universe think Om (not Ohm), Godflesh, Sleep, Kyuss...)

lets see what i can come up with!
and by modern i'm going to take as anytime roughly after the early 2000s

If Dragonforce, Dream Theater and Iron Maiden hit you, I'm thinking you like Rush, now this might be a little off, because I'm assuming you like the highly technical production values and precision of those bands music, as much as you like the vocals. I may get a better hit if I think of it, but I'm gonna try these two...

Coheed and Cambria (first album in 2002, but got their break in the mid 2000's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFtM4GIRA4

and

Dragonland (first album in 2000, but got their break in 2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTShSv-95uI

Note this is WAY out of my personal taste, but a bet's a bet. Tell me how you like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 am 
Hoagland-esque

Since posting this, i have heard a few decent bands! Mostly modern alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 pm 
Hoagland-esque

I would say its because all too much is along the lines of either EMO or Rap. Neither of which are too my taste in any way shape or form. If someone else likes it, fine.. as long as I DON'T have to listen!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

davidg8089 wrote:
I would say its because all too much is along the lines of either EMO or Rap.

Which is wrong. It's because of the technology and how it's being used. no one makes songs based on jams or feel no more. The songs are being "constructed", not composed or "felt."

Rap can have a lot of live-feel to it, you're just not hearing the right kind of rap. (And I may be wrong)

Same with metal.... I could go on and on about the cookie-cutter metal shit that's out.... but I won't, some of it I like, and most of it I don't.

Thank dog for Slayer and people who still listen to Led Zep 1st album etc etc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 am 
Hoagland-esque

Everything that can be done on a physical guitar, drums, or bass, can be done just as better *and then some* on a computer. Not to mention the fact that we're living in the era of "hip-hop" and "rap".

The least I can say is that modern "rock" bands are still playing with traditional rock instruments. Vocals set aside, I've heard some great guitarists and drummers, thing being it's hard for me personally to tell if said music is being auto-tuned or not.

What disappoints me with the vocals is when a largely unknown band starts off a song with great talent on the instruments, but then the vocals are just cookie cutter shit! On any given day I could turn on idobi radio and name a song like that off right away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 am 
Hoagland-esque

Louis.DK wrote:
There's great new stuff in every genre out there.

But how many of them are actually good enough to play in concert and still sound very much like they would on the radio?