11 Julia
12 2 Of Us
13 And I Love Her
14 Nowhere Man
15 Strawberry Fields
What are your favorites?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:24 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

A top five would be all i need. Not trying to be a hater. i just think led zepplin, the stones, hendrix, dylan and the who brought much more to the table than the beatles ever did.

1. Let it Be.
2. Yesterday.
3. Hey Jude.
4. All You Need Is Love.
5. Here Comes The Sun.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 am 
Eleven Eleven Keyholder

overrated and underwhelming

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 pm 
Merovingian

redsonsuperman wrote:
i just think led zepplin, the stones, hendrix, dylan and the who brought much more to the table than the beatles ever did.

AMEN BROTHER! :D :shock: :o

i can't figure out for the life of me why people think they are so great. when they first came to america they could hardly play their instruments. ringo was downright terrible and still is. as solo artists they have matured into accomplished musicians except for ringo who still can't play the drums worth shit. despite my big beatles record collection, i never was a big beatles fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
Shadow Person

The song writing is what makes them so special.Almost every song is a hit !
LENNON and MCCARTNEY were geniuses. Whether you like or hate them you can't deny it. I wasn't that crazy about them when I was younger.
Recently, after listening through the whole collection, I came to the realisation of how great they were. The only other band I would put up there with them is Zeppelin .Did Dylan,Hendrix and The Stones accumulate the amount of hits the Beatles did ? NO !!!!!!! I'm not talking about playing ability. Zeppelin can outplay them by so much it's ridiculous. I KNOW HOW GOOD DYLAN WAS, SO DON'T BOTHER ME ABOUT HIM !
The Stones are the ones that are over rated !!!!!! Look at the hits they wrote after the beatles.LENNON and MCCARTNEY. It shows you how talented they were at writing . It's laughable to compare any other artist to them.
I grew up in the 80's loving Rush, Zeppelin, Vanhalen, Boston, Journey, Kansas,Zebra,Benatar,Genesis , Dio, Who, etc.
Ask those guys where the Beatles rank !!! They'll tell you the same.
Brad Delp, Phil Collins,Randy Jackson of Zebra worshipped them.
Everyone has their own taste. Not everyone is gonna like them. look at the huge amount of quality songs they produced and its mindboggling ,within and outside the Beatles.Thats my point. The consistent production of hits !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:40 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

I'm sure the Beatles shaped music in ways that most people can't appreciate. But for me...the Beatles...meh. I'd rather listen to Zeppelin.

Lady Gaga is the new Beatles!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:48 pm 
Shadow Person

ZEP is one of a kind ! They give me goosebumps. I was listening to IN THE LIGHT recently. WOW!!!! What great lyrics ! I play drums. Bonham was a monster player !!!
Drummers still copy his sound and style to this day .

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

The thing about Bonham is you know it's him when you hear him playing. He definitely had his own thing going on.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 pm 
Shadow Person

Extra large bass drum and heavy sticks are part of it. I read that when he joined them, he enlarged all his drums for more power.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:12 pm 
Merovingian

bonham is one of my favorites. i love the shuffle in fool in the rain and the power of when the levee breaks. bonham had great timing but he wasn't a technical drummer like peart. neil peart is the complete package. but my all time favorite drummer is ginger baker.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

So good to see I'm not the only one that is completely mystified by The Beatles being elevated to the status they are. I don't hate them. I think they wrote pretty good pop songs. But I think it begins and ends with pretty good pop songs. They were the epitome of mainstream appeal, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I like my music to be a little more challenging than anything The Beatles ever did.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 am 
Shadow Person

They had more of an influence on us than good pop songs!
They influenced a generation. Who wrote more hits than Lennon and Mccartney? Beatles and out of Beatles .
I've heard all the other artists you can think of, none of them equal the hit producing ability of those two, and occasionally, Harrison.
Mccartney had an amazing solo career ! Lennon didn't live that long, unfortunately . He did some very good solo work as well .
People have different opinions , but fact is fact .

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:59 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I would never judge the quality of a band or musician by how many hits they have.

Most of my favorite bands have never had a hit song. And when they do, it's usually a jump the shark moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 am 
Oil Industry Executive

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
They had more of an influence on us than good pop songs!
They influenced a generation. Who wrote more hits than Lennon and Mccartney? Beatles and out of Beatles .
I've heard all the other artists you can think of, none of them equal the hit producing ability of those two, and occasionally, Harrison.
Mccartney had an amazing solo career ! Lennon didn't live that long, unfortunately . He did some very good solo work as well .
People have different opinions , but fact is fact .

Clearly they were very popular and successful, but that does nothing to convince me that they're anything other than the world's most successful pop band. So yeah, while it is a fact that they were incredibly successful, it isn't a fact that they're the best band of all time. From an innovative and technical perspective, I simply don't find them to be all that earth shattering. I think they were more than happy to appeal to the mainstream. And, like I said, there's nothing wrong with that. But my musical tastes have never been mainstream.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm 
Merovingian

i like bands that have talent and are accomplished musicians that can play their instruments. the beatles played simple arrangements song after song with nothing extremely difficult because they didn't have much talent. their simple 'catch-tune lyrics' attracted a lot of young listeners because the songs were quick and simple and had a silly lyrical hook. there's nothing about the beatles that is any different than any other teen-age band.

i don't want to ruffle any feathers here but...
THE BEATLES REALLY SUCK!