The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nothing worth buying.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

I've had 25 bucks to spend on itunes for about a month.
Nothing new seems to be worth buying.

I'm pretty open to anything, from George Strait to Depeche Mode to Suicide Machines to Eminem and Mos Def.

If you had to nail me down to my favorite musical sound, it'd be third wave ska (Operation Ivy, Mustard Plug, Reel Big Fish, Suicide Machines, Catch 22, Streelight Manifesto, etc.)

Everything in rock/alt on itunes seems to be the same emo shit song being sung by 25 different singers.

So, anybody got some local/underground/good shit worth listening to?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:47 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Music industry is totally dead. They hitched their wagon to hip hop and rap, which the bottom has fallen out of (I don't think Eminem's latest has even matched the FIRST WEEK sales of his earlier albums, and a "hit" album now sells only a few million copies, which used to be chump change.). And all the alt/rock stuff is now as generic as anything has ever been. Way too much niche "scene" shit (remixes, remixes, and more remixes! "Jam to the unoriginal tunes of DJ Alfalfa Sprout!")as well, that doesn't play broadly and has little artistic value.

Hopefully some decent stuff will rise from the ashes of this corpse in a few years. But right now, it's totally bleak.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:35 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

KISS has a new album Oct. 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:10 am 
Shadow Person

Orpheus wrote:
Music industry is totally dead. They hitched their wagon to hip hop and rap, which the bottom has fallen out of (I don't think Eminem's latest has even matched the FIRST WEEK sales of his earlier albums, and a "hit" album now sells only a few million copies, which used to be chump change.). And all the alt/rock stuff is now as generic as anything has ever been. Way too much niche "scene" shit (remixes, remixes, and more remixes! "Jam to the unoriginal tunes of DJ Alfalfa Sprout!")as well, that doesn't play broadly and has little artistic value.

Hopefully some decent stuff will rise from the ashes of this corpse in a few years. But right now, it's totally bleak.

Here is what great music is for all who never heard any ! lol.
RUSH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZiDME3b ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49q59A8OhM8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH_PPzcp ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwiURyX ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

C'mon guys.

I"m from Detroit Rock City. I know all about the new album from Kiss (And Ace's solo project is also coming out soon).

And Rush? :roll: This is exactly why i started this thread. I want to hear some good NEW shit, rather than playing the same old shit I've heard since 1981.

Enough with the ancient rock gods (Gene is celebrating his 60th birthday today, btw. 8) :twisted: )

So, AGAIN, I ask, anybody got some local/underground/good shit from someone who isn't an ancient rock star?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:01 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

Just off the top of my head: The Sword, Mogwai, Russian Circles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 pm 
Presidential Hopeful

Check out the album Goodbye to the Machine by Hurt. Standout tracks are Wars, Pills, Dreams Away, Fighting Tao (features an awesome violin solo), and That (Such a Thing).

Definitely my favorite album this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 am 
Shadow Person

redsonsuperman wrote:
C'mon guys.

I"m from Detroit Rock City. I know all about the new album from Kiss (And Ace's solo project is also coming out soon).

And Rush? :roll: This is exactly why i started this thread. I want to hear some good NEW shit, rather than playing the same old shit I've heard since 1981.

Enough with the ancient rock gods (Gene is celebrating his 60th birthday today, btw. 8) :twisted: )

So, AGAIN, I ask, anybody got some local/underground/good shit from someone who isn't an ancient rock star?

If there was any new music worth listening to i would be interested,but i'm not too sure there is .lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 pm 
British Royal

My newer likes:
Polkadot Cadavar = Their album goes from metal to rock to funk to acustic to disco and back again..
In This Moment = Some good rockin with a hot chic singer
Austrian Death Machine = GET TO THE CHOPPA! Arnie does metal. Pretty funny stuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 am 
Merovingian

the new ace frehley album is out. i haven't heard it yet but it might be worth a listen. he does a remake of the sweet song fox on the run. the song is perfect for frehley because the original sweet version sounds like frehley was doing it all along.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:22 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

theorist wrote:
the new ace frehley album is out. i haven't heard it yet but it might be worth a listen. he does a remake of the sweet song fox on the run. the song is perfect for frehley because the original sweet version sounds like frehley was doing it all along.

There goes another 15 bucks Friday. C'mon who doesn't love Ace (except Gene and Paul). Besides, buy his album so he can get sausage at Denny's next time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Just heard a cool Michigan band that's been around for a few years -- The Muggs.
Old school rock fans should like this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Kind of an oddball release, but "Weird Al" Yankovic has a new greatest hits album from the "Essential" line. The good thing is it is the best of everything up until now, so it's from all his albums. 38 songs total which makes it a good way to get a bunch of stuff from him without having to pick up all his albums.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:52 am 
CFR Fat Cat

This might fall into the retread category, but Them Crooked Vultures is a new band with Dave Grohl on drums (back where he belongs...lol), the singer for Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones on Bass. What I've heard so far kicks ass, and it is technically a new band. I definitely plan to buy the CD and it's great to see Jonesy back in the game. Maybe not what you were wanting for "new" bands, but in the current state of the music biz this is prolly the best we're going to get. However, I will repeat...what I've heard so far kicks ass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:43 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

smokincat wrote:
This might fall into the retread category, but Them Crooked Vultures is a new band with Dave Grohl on drums (back where he belongs...lol), the singer for Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones on Bass. What I've heard so far kicks ass, and it is technically a new band. I definitely plan to buy the CD and it's great to see Jonesy back in the game. Maybe not what you were wanting for "new" bands, but in the current state of the music biz this is prolly the best we're going to get. However, I will repeat...what I've heard so far kicks ass.

No, this is definitely worth checking out, and I didn't know about it, so thanks.

8) Any band with Grohl is worth a listen.

And I've be curious what others think of the Muggs.