The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm 
Merovingian

smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

pretty decent drummer. not much into grunge. grunge killed heavy metal and hard rock. i'll never forget it either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm 
Shadow Person

theorist wrote:
smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

pretty decent drummer. not much into grunge. grunge killed heavy metal and hard rock. i'll never forget it either.

You a drummer ? So am I !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

theorist wrote:
smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

some of it needed to die. winger, cinderella, enuff z'nuff, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:00 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

The Airborne Toxic Event: check out my two fave tracks -- "The Winning Side" and "Wishing Well." I can't describe this group. It's too much for me. I love 'em. The whole album and bonus tracks are great, but those two are the best they got.

Also, on the indie rock tip - Red Cortez and the Weather Underground (I think they're the same group just different names). Aghan Whigs-eque.

On the Black Crowes meets Franz Ferdinand tip: The Henry Clay People. California rock, with a hint of blues.

"This series presents information based in part on theory and conjecture. The producer's purpose is to suggest some possible explanations, but not necessarily the only ones, to the mysteries we will examine."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:30 pm 
Merovingian

redsonsuperman wrote:
some of it needed to die. winger, cinderella, enuff z'nuff, etc.

enuff z nuff is great. did you ever see the video for fly high michelle? it's really kewl. and i love the song.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 pm 
Merovingian

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
theorist wrote:
smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

You a drummer ? So am I !!!!!

been playing pretty much all my life. neil peart and ginger baker are my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 pm 
Shadow Person

You a drummer ? So am I !!!!![/quote]

been playing pretty much all my life. neil peart and ginger baker are my favorites.[/quote]

Peart,Bonham and Steve Smith are my 3 rock favorites . Peart, by far though !!!! Are you into jazz-fusion ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:15 am 
CFR Fat Cat

I'm a guitarist, but I've always been deep into how the rhythm section sounds. So, I tend to pay more attention to the bassplayer than the singer...my personal favorites in this category are John Entwhistle and Keith Moon. I don't think there was a more solid section in rock...there was a major epiphany when i realized that Keith was a better drummer than John Bonham....I know this is a truism, but guitarists all sound the same..so what makes a great band to me is the rhythm section....and unless you have Jim Morrison...the singer doesn't really matter...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:47 am 
CFR Fat Cat

theorist wrote:
smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

IMHO, Dave Grohl is the best drummer that Gen X has put together....not just his work with Nirvana, but also Probot...the guy is an amazing drummer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:45 am 
Merovingian

he's a decent drummer for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:38 am 
CFR Fat Cat

theorist wrote:
smokincat wrote:
Dave Grohl on drums...

I beg to differ. Heavy metal had gotten to be such a huge cariacature of itself that it was destined to implode. In the late 80's the only really good metal bands (I'm not saying speed, death, black, etc...just metal metal) bands were GnR and Skid Row. The hair-bands had watered down the genre to the point where it was a joke. Nirvana arriving on the scene was a shot in the arm for me....Kurt was a gifted songwriter, and you've got to like Alice in Chains at the very least, if not Soundgarden. I agree that the marketing for grunge was twisted, but that's not the fault of the bands so much....and metal would have died anyway. Of course, Queensryche was the original Seattle band....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

FYI - Them Crooked Vultures will perform on the February 6, 2010 episode of Saturday Night Live.
8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 pm 
C2C Stalwart

lynxster wrote:
FYI - Them Crooked Vultures will perform on the February 6, 2010 episode of Saturday Night Live.
8)

Them Crooked Vultures fucking rock! Glad to see Grohl back behind a kit and Jonesy back in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:06 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

RustyShackleford wrote:
Them Crooked Vultures fucking rock! Glad to see Grohl back behind a kit and Jonesy back in the game.

A supergroup that doesn't suck! When was the last time that happened?

This is probably not news to anyone who likes Them Crooked Vultures, but I would recommend the entire Queens of the Stone Age catalog to anyone who likes hard rock. Ditto with Josh Homme's Desert Session series -- the first few volumes are very hard to find, but they're worth tracking down.

Here's another suggestion: Drive-By Truckers. Music that is thoughtful, literate, and still rocks balls-out. It helps if you grew up in the South, but that isn't a prerequisite by any means!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:09 am 
Hoagland-esque

check out these sites they have unknown bands.
http://www.cdbaby.com/
http://www.last.fm/