The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Worst Band Ever
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 am 
C2C Stalwart

RustyShackleford wrote:
theorist wrote:
paice is a great drummer. he has been one of my favorites since i was young. but neil peart has taken drumming to an entire new level. there are only a few drummers that have achieved that level of skill. perhaps it's partly his style? but he's still damn good. other great drummers are ginger baker, steve smith and mike portnoy. if there is one drummer that is above peart i'd have to say it's ginger baker.

Yeah, but if there's one drummer who is above Ginger Baker (who is great..don't get me wrong) it's Keith Moon.

And I have to throw in, Bill Ward is no slouch on the drums either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:44 am 
C2C Stalwart

I also think Queensryche is a better band than Rush.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 am 
Shadow Person

RustyShackleford wrote:

:P That's an insult to Rush IMO !!!!! :lol: People have different tastes,so nobody is really right or wrong !!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 am 
Merovingian

I know everyone loves Rush and probably technically, musically speaking they are great. However, I think I am one of the few people that never really cared for them that much. Something about Geddy Lee's voice irritates me. Of course, now that I know he is a high ranking free mason I realize it must have something to do with Satan. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:25 am 
C2C Stalwart

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
theorist wrote:
MYSTERYMAN wrote:
Peart is not the same as he used to be though !!!!! :cry: The music doesn't allow him !!!

i might have to disagree with you on this one mysteryman. peart is better than ever. the rio dvd drum solo is absolutely phenomenal. i think he's getting better with age. i saw rush in '02. it was the best damn concert i have ever seen.

what is your favorite rush album? for me it's moving pictures.

:wink: I mean what he puts out in the songs . They are more reserved than the old days !!!! Less chops !!!! :cry:

My favorite RUSH albums are : :) :D 8)
A Farewell to Kings -REALLY GOOD-GREAT
2112 REALLY GOOD -GREAT
Hemispheres-REALLY GOOD-GREAT
Moving Pictures - PERFECT
Exit Stage Left-PERFECT
Signals -GREAT-PERFECT
Presto -VERY GOOD-REALLY GOOD-GREAT

Ginger Baker ? What am I not seeing ....or hearing ? He's not in Peart's class either ! Maybe I just haven't heard enough ?
Peart,Bonham,Smith,Van Halen,.....don't forget Phil Collins !!!!!! Kansas drummer Phil Ehart is damn good also !!!! The fusion drummers kick ass too !!!! Weckl,Cobham,Gadd,Rayford Griffin from Ponty band,Chad Wackerman ,Gary Husband from Holdsworth band .BUDDY RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are more ,but ,these are mine !!! :D 8)

Are you kidding? Peart is not better than Bonham. I left him out because he's in his own class of drummer...but Phil Collins? Seriously? I can name 30 drummers better than him

1: Paul Cook
2: Hermann Rarebell
3: Charlie Watts
4: Ringo Starr
5: Spencer Dryden
6: Mitch Mitchell
7: Ian Paice
8: Nicko McBain
9:Roger Taylor
10: Keith Moon
11: Mickey Dee
12: Phil Rudd
13: Carl Palmer
14: Cozy Powell
15: Tommy Lee
16: Tommy Aldridge
17: Bill Ward
18: Vinnie Appice
19: Tommy Ramone
20: Fred Coury
21: Stephen Adler
22:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

I remember reading (possibly in Rolling Stone) that the only thing that could destroy Guns `n Roses was themselves. How prophetic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
Shadow Person

:roll: That's not a best of list,that's a favorites list !!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:40 pm 
Shadow Person

lesley wrote:
I know everyone loves Rush and probably technically, musically speaking they are great. However, I think I am one of the few people that never really cared for them that much. Something about Geddy Lee's voice irritates me. Of course, now that I know he is a high ranking free mason I realize it must have something to do with Satan. :D

:roll: Are you kidding ???? Geddy ??? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:24 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

lesley wrote:

I agree with you 100% on that point.. Geddy's voice, not the mason thing lmao...
Growing up in Canada, there was always a lot of Rush around, and I too always hated his voice, as well as the lyrics. However in 2003, or when ever that SARS scare was, I seen them live as part of the free (although it wasn't really free) SARS-STOCK concert in Toronto. I have to admit, they were really great live. It made me go from pure hate to respect. Still not a fan, but I can listen to them now with out running away from the radio lmao.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

All this drummer debate got me thinking what makes for a good drummer?

Is it pure technical skill, or is it something else?

I think technical skill isn't the main thing. Take Dave Grohl for example. Is he the most technical drummer? No, but there is something about his style that makes him stand out. Nirvana was going nowhere until Dave joined. Even though most of the Nevermind drumming was already done by previous drummer Chad Channing, but the way Dave played it gave it something extra. Also the first two Foo fighter albums IMO are the best of them all, because Dave recorded the drums. His work on the first Tenacious D album as well as the Queens of the Stone Age album are great too. You know when it is Dave playing, it's very distinct, and has also worked out very well for any band that has had him play for them.

So while not the most technical drummer by any means, The fact that he has made so many bands thrive with his sheer presence is a testament to his importance as a drummer. I am sure you could add other drummers in this category as well, perhaps Keith Moon and Jon Bonham for example, as they were very distinct in both sound and presence.

But if Technical skill is what you consider to be the main factor, I would suggest checking out the dude from Fear factory. Some of the fastest foot work you will ever hear. Also Joey Jordison from Slipknot is a beast too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 am 
Shadow Person

Are you kidding? Peart is not better than Bonham. I left him out because he's in his own class of drummer...but Phil Collins? Seriously? I can name 30 drummers better than him

:shock: Have you ever heard Phil Collins' fusion drum work with Brand X ? If not,you don't know what you're talking about !!!!! :shock: And to say that Peart is not as good as Bonham ,is silly !!!!
:D His early work with Rush is unbelievable !!!!!! :P His YYZ solo is better than Bonham's Moby Dick solo !!!! Bonham had an amazing groove ,yes !!!! :D IMHO,Peart is superior !!!!! You may like ZEPPELIN music better ,so that's why you think he's better !!! :wink: I have 3 drumming idols that taught me how to play , Peart ,Bonham,Smith.....in that order !!!! :) :D 8) After the mid-80's ,RUSH'S music took a bad turn for the most part IMHO !!! The great drum chops that we all came to love , were kept to a minimum ! :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:22 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

The thing about Peart to me is that he was able to completely change the mechanics of his playing and continue to play at such a high level, then decide he didn't like it and change back. That and he's probably the best song writing drummer out there. You don't really hear of any drummer that are the main song writers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 pm 
Merovingian

don't know for sure what makes a great drummer? we could debate it all night and still not figure it out. there are so many parts to drumming and when you put them all together you have a drummer. there's so much to learn and it takes so long to learn it. even the seemingly simplest things are all part of drumming right down to being able to balance yourself on the throne while you move around the drum kit. there's limb independence and the ability to play different patterns with different hands and feet. drumming isn't about just hitting the drum it's about which one, how hard and when. timing isn't something that comes easy. it's learned by practicing over and over and over. stick control and the use of fingers and wrists takes years to learn. what makes a great drummer? it's the total of all these different parts and the ability to execute them. it's the understanding of how drumming works and the ability to think it before playing it. drumming is 50% mental and 50% physical. if you can't think it, you can't play it.

so who is the greatest drummer? here's what i can say. i can copy and play bonham, smith, collins and many other drummers out there with moderate difficulty. but peart is another story. i struggle trying to play his material. his style of playing takes a lot of skill and i'm not ashamed to admit i struggle with it when trying to play it note for note just like him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:41 pm 
Shadow Person

VampElvis wrote:
The thing about Peart to me is that he was able to completely change the mechanics of his playing and continue to play at such a high level, then decide he didn't like it and change back. That and he's probably the best song writing drummer out there. You don't really hear of any drummer that are the main song writers.

8) I was listening to 2112 today and the song that I was touched by today was Tears ,written by .......... you guessed it,MR.PEART !!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
Merovingian

RustyShackleford wrote:

i absolutely love queensryche. but rush is still my favorite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next