The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I finally finished The Last Symbol last night. What a chore. I think this is without question his worst book yet. Is he done or will there be a bounce back? What say thee, masses?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Dan Brown sucks. He has mastered pacing and that's it. His dialogue, characters, descriptions, dumbed-down suspense--you know, all the OTHER components of a book?--are just terrible. So far, worse than the books are the movies. Okay, I didn't see the first one; but the second one I walked out on and people were saying it's better than the first, so I extrapolate.

To be clear about how much awful I can tolerate in a movie: I walked out on Angels & Demons. I did not even put my thumb on the pause button for Bad Biology, a movie about a hungry, gaping vagina and a monstrous detachable penis destroying each other.

Books are shallow + movies are terrible = Therefore, I see no stopping him.

America loves shit and some other countries love American shit. He'll be considered a classic before you know it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I did enjoy the Angels and Demons book. Never saw the movie. After the horror of The DaVinci code (which was a middling book in my opinion) movie I decided to pass on Angels and Demons so Ron Howard couldn't pull a Lucas and ruin my memory of the book.

I'd say :
Angels&Demons > Deception Point >>> Digital Fortress, The DaVinci Code >> The Lost Symbol

If you take the first 4, they are really all the same book. Change settings and character names but don't ruin the cardboard cut-outs and wa-la. It seems he tried to change it up a little in The Lost Symbol, but it didn't work. I almost put it down and walked away which is something I hardly ever do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:54 pm 
Merovingian

VampElvis wrote:
If you take the first 4, they are really all the same book. Change settings and character names but don't ruin the cardboard cut-outs and wa-la. It seems he tried to change it up a little in The Lost Symbol, but it didn't work. I almost put it down and walked away which is something I hardly ever do.

Yup, so true. The first book I read was Angels and Demons, then the Davinc Code and I really loved them both. Then, when you go back and read his other books, you realize that he has a formula that he follows. He broke away from that formula with his most recent book which was a so-so book that I didn't care for very much. He slowed the pace way down and it just didn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

For The Lost Symbol, it seemed to me that Brown was trying to make it easier to script for the movie.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:55 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

afeent1 wrote:
For The Lost Symbol, it seemed to me that Brown was trying to make it easier to script for the movie.

That's basically how he writes his novels. He doesn't care about being an actual writer, he cares about constructing loose, generic frameworks for film adaptations. He's an awful writer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:48 pm 
Low Initiate Freemason

I only read the Da Vinci Code and had a hard time finishing it. I found that each chapter was long (short) enough to be read while taking a dump... so you can imagine it took me a while. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

lynxster wrote:
I only read the Da Vinci Code and had a hard time finishing it. I found that each chapter was long (short) enough to be read while taking a dump... so you can imagine it took me a while. :lol:

I'm imagining it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Orpheus wrote:
afeent1 wrote:

That's basically how he writes his novels. He doesn't care about being an actual writer, he cares about constructing loose, generic frameworks for film adaptations. He's an awful writer.

So his comic book equal would be the guy who did Scott Pilgrim and Brian Bendis?