The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:55 am 
Bohemian Grove Member in Good Standing

Anyone read anything good lately? I really haven't had chance, I have been working 65 hour weeks.(getiting most of my entertainment from c2c/rense. )

The last book I read with a c2c feel to it was "Born in Blood". It is about the history of the freemasons and their relationship to the Knights of Templar. A good read indeed. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:35 am 
CFR Fat Cat

Yeah I know what ya mean about not having time enough to read. I used to love to read all the time, but yah, the old grindstone can sure put the hamper on that. For fun fiction I used to read alot of Heinlein and Farmer, Bova Asimov etc., , later Koontz and Steven King. Koontz is kinda like King but with a point, heh. More focused on his plot, usually topical stuff of esoteric/shadow govt nature. Doesn't just make it up as he goes like King admits to. But I still like King, always will. Just wish I still had time to read like I used to. Being grown-up sux. I want my money back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:20 am 
Merovingian

One of my favorite subjects, I'll have to give you a list later. But for now, I'm really getting into Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Funny funny stuff! I could fill pages with great quotes, but I'll just leave you with one.

"Finally, Mort could see the light at the end of the tunnel; and it was a flame thrower."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:43 pm 
Merovingian

Books I’ve recently read:

-“The Age of Revolution: A History of the World 1789 – 1849” by Eric Hobsbawm (one of the world most preeminent historians. Good book, even though the author uses the passive voice way too much. The author is a Marxist, but he doesn’t let that interfere in his writing too much).

-“Eats, Shoots & Leaves” by Lynne Truss (Very entertaining and fun to read).

-“The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict what Students Learn” by Diane Ravitch (A must read for anyone with children in the American public educatin system! She bashes conservatives and liberals equally for how they’ve screwed up our education system).

-“The Bilingual Family” by Edith Harding-Esch and Philip Riley

-“Treachery: How America’s Friends and Foes are Secretly Arming our Enemies” by Bill Gertz (A book everyone should read: it will really piss you off!)

-The Elements of Style: Fourth Edition” by William Shrunk and E.B. White

-“Krakatoa” by Simon Winchester (excellent book if you like volcanoes, disaster history and the history of plate tectonic theory. Ironically, I finished it a few months before the most recent tsunami hit Indonesia).

-“Hegemon: China’s Plan to Dominate Asia and the World” by Steven W. Mosher (I’ve read a few books on this subject and this is probably the best one).

-“Cultural Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress” edited by Lawrence E. Harrison and Samuel P. Huntington (quite academic, but still very interesting…to me anyways!)

-“What Went Wrong: Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response” by Bernard Lewis (great book on the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the current state of the Muslim world).

-“How Cities Work: Suburbs, Sprawl, and the Roads Not Taken” by Alex Marshall (I have an interest in urban areas and urban planning).

-“The New Thought Police” by Tammy Bruce (Very thought provoking book. Beware any group that wants to limit your speech and your thoughts).

-“Bias” Bernard Goldberg (I wish the media would have taken this book a little more seriously. I think the days of pretending to be impartial are gone for a while, we’ll have liberal news sources and conservative news sources. This will make us even more divided if people don’t look for news from different sources.”

-“Mexifornia: A State of Becoming” by Victor Davis Hansen (if you’re worried about illegal immigration, read this: you’ll worry even more!).

-“Footprints of God” by Greg Iles (interesting book about scientist making the first quantum-level supercomputer. And you thought I didn’t ever read fiction!)

-“The Great Divide” by Frank M. Robinson and John Levin (interesting story about an oil embargo against the USA and the possible break up of the USA. Interesting story, but not well written).

-“The DaVinci Code” and “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown

-“Rose Red” by Stephen King

-Too many Terry Pratchet books to list here.

Last edited by baemark on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:03 am 
Bohemian Grove Member in Good Standing

baemark wrote:
Books I’ve recently read:

-“The Age of Revolution: A History of the World 1789 – 1849” by Eric Hobsbawm (one of the world most preeminent historians. Good book, even though the author uses the passive voice way too much. The author is a Marxist, but he doesn’t let that interfere in his writing too much).

-“Eats, Shoots & Leaves” by Lynne Truss (Very entertaining and fun to read).

-“The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict what Students Learn” by Diane Ravitch (A must read for anyone with children in the American public educatin system! She bashes conservatives and liberals equally for how they’ve screwed up our education system).

-“The Bilingual Family” by Edith Harding-Esch and Philip Riley

-“Treachery: How America’s Friends and Foes are Secretly Arming our Enemies” by Bill Gertz (A book everyone should read: it will really piss you off!)

-The Elements of Style: Fourth Edition” by William Shrunk and E.B. White

-“Krakatoa” by Simon Winchester (excellent book if you like volcanoes, disaster history and the history of plate tectonic theory. Ironically, I finished it a few months before the most recent tsunami hit Indonesia).

-“Hegemon: China’s Plan to Dominate Asia and the World” by Steven W. Mosher (I’ve read a few books on this subject and this is probably the best one).

-“Cultural Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress” edited by Lawrence E. Harrison and Samuel P. Huntington (quite academic, but still very interesting…to me anyways!)

-“What Went Wrong: Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response” by Bernard Lewis (great book on the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the current state of the Muslim world).

-“How Cities Work: Suburbs, Sprawl, and the Roads Not Taken” by Alex Marshall (I have an interest in urban areas and urban planning).

-“The New Thought Police” by Tammy Bruce (Very thought provoking book. Beware any group that wants to limit your speech and your thoughts).

-“Bias” Bernard Goldberg (I wish the media would have taken this book a little more seriously. I think the days of pretending to be impartial are gone for a while, we’ll have liberal news sources and conservative news sources. This will make us even more divided if people don’t look for news from different sources.”

-“Mexifornia: A State of Becoming” by Victor Davis Hansen (if you’re worried about illegal immigration, read this: you’ll worry even more!).

-“Footprints of God” by Greg Iles (interesting book about scientist making the first quantum-level supercomputer. And you thought I didn’t ever read fiction!)

-“The Great Divide” by Frank M. Robinson and John Levin (interesting story about an oil embargo against the USA and the possible break up of the USA. Interesting story, but not well written).

-“The DaVinci Code” and “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown

-“Rose Red” by Stephen King

Books that I read a little while ago, but still impact my life:

-“The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of the World Order” by Samuel P. Huntington (already a classic).

-“The Tragedy of Great Power Politics” by John Mearsheimer (Excellent intro to the theory of offensive realism in geopolitics).

-“The Grapes of Wrath” by John Steinbeck

-“To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee

-“On the Road” by Jack Kerouac

-“War of the Worlds” by H. G. Wells

-“Around the World in 80 Days” by Jules Verne

-“Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte

-“The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,” “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe,” and “Life, the Universe and Everything.” By Douglas Adams

-“1984” and “Animal Farm” by George Orwell

-“A Clockwork Orange” by Anthony Burgess

-“Brideshead Revisited” by Evelyn Waugh

Boy, that’s enough already. I know I’m missing some really good one, though.

Wow, interesting list. I think I need to start a "TOP 10 favorite books" list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:20 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler. It's a sleeper. About life in the future after Oil- but it's not Mad Max.

Check this out- first time I've ever seen a video trailer for a book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zi_u0Q1RwY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:05 pm 
Presidential Hopeful

I've been almost half way through Atlas Shrugged for the past couple months. Just haven't had the time to sit down and read lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Khyron wrote:
I've been almost half way through Atlas Shrugged for the past couple months. Just haven't had the time to sit down and read lately.

I started that a couple of months ago myself and like you, I'm about halfway through due to things coming up.

I do have to give a shout out to two books I recently finished, ok they're comic book trades but still... The first is Essential Marvel Saga, puts the history of the Marvel Universe in a cohesive form (great for people who are just getting into comics). The other one is Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle. The story of how Tony Starks alcholism gets in the way of his role of Iron Man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 am 
CFR Fat Cat

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris........The origins of Hannibal Lecter. An insightful tale well told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:00 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Recommend a sci-fi paperback "Boundary" by Eric Flint. Teaser: alien lands on Earth 65 million years ago, gets killed by dinosaurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:40 am 
Merovingian

I'm nearly done with that "Gravity" book by Tess Garrison that Art Bell raved so much about. It's pretty good. But you could see the ending coming from the very beggining. But interesting premise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:57 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I got a new one in the post-Apocalyptic scenario- it was really good.

Called Life As We Knew It by Susan Pfeffer

It's about the aftermath of a big astronomical event and how it affects Life on Earth- told from the perspective of a Middle American family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

From recent trips to the library and a couple purchases, I've recently read and would recommend:

The Lost Ark of the Covenant by Tudor Parfitt
Black Gold Stranglehold by Jerome Corsi
Custodians of Truth by Jim Wallace-Murphy and Marilyn Hopkins

The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds
Ring of Hell by Matthew Randazzo

And I'm midway through the new Jim Marrs book ise of the Fourth Reich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:38 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury - Fiction It has an interesting twist on what gave the Templars their power over the Catholic church.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:25 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

The classic "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven is a good TEOTWAWKI read.