The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Watchmen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

I am taking the plunge on my first graphic novel, because I hear good things about The Watchmen. Anyone read it and what do you think ? No spoilers, please.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post subject: Re: The Watchmen
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:45 pm 
Member of the Federal Reserve

binnall wrote:
I am taking the plunge on my first graphic novel, because I hear good things about The Watchmen. Anyone read it and what do you think ? No spoilers, please.

I was never into comic books. Not even after the name change. :wink:

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:08 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

Ahhhh, the Watchmen. This and one other graphic novel (Batman: The Dark Knight Returns) are the books that set the tone for comics from the mid to late '80s until the mid '90s. Both are very good.
I, myself, enjoyed Batman: TDKR more (mainly because of the way Frank Miller played the psychosis of a man who dresses up as a bat to fight crime)
Watchmen has a group of superheroes that were created just for the series. My only problem with it is that there are so many sub plots that some are left open (but that happens in every book). Alan Moore proves that he is one of comics great talents with this graphic novel.
I recommend both books, but if you want something where you will know anything about the character try TDKR.
Also, check out Allen Moores take on Batman in Batman: The Killing Joke.
Greatest Joker story ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 am 
Merovingian

Maybe one day I'll buy some comic books/graphic novels. They're really big in Korea. In America, we have video stores where you go and rent videos. In Korea, they have comic book stores, where you go and rent comic books. Video stores are dying out there, comic book stores are still going strong!

Also, they have a lot of comic books that are educational. They have this series of comic books that show historical events, famous historical figures and another series that shows the histories of various countries around the world. My kids really learned a lot by reading them.

In Japan, it's not unusual to see adults reading comic books on the subway.

My mom didn't allow many comic books in our house because they were instruments of Satan! So I got stuck just reading Richie Rich and The Jugheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:23 am 
Member of the Federal Reserve

baemark wrote:
So I got stuck just reading Richie Rich and The Jugheads.

I like "Garfield" and "Calvin and Hobbes". I actually bought some of the books. I hope they're not graphic novels! :lol:

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:40 pm 
Merovingian

Austin Nichols wrote:
baemark wrote:
So I got stuck just reading Richie Rich and The Jugheads.

I like "Garfield" and "Calvin and Hobbes". I actually bought some of the books. I hope they're not graphic novels! :lol:

I love Calvin and Hobbes. I have their books, too. No, I don't think they'd be considered 'graphic novels'. Comic books, maybe. Just call them 'funnies'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:41 pm 
Merovingian

Most Alan Moore graphic novels are worth the reading time, but the watchmen is especially good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:41 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

I'm just glad he is stopped DC from making a Watchman movie considering what the studio's did to his League of extrordinary Gentlemen.
Although, I did enjoy From Hell...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:55 am 
Merovingian

I liked From Hell too, but LOEG sucked bad. I still can't believe they did such a crappy job on that, but it seems to happen a lot with other books so I guess I should be use to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:36 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

The Watchmen is now on itunes. Ugghh.

What's wrong with people. You can't replace the experience of actually reading the graphic novel!!!!

At least it's free -- otherwise Alan Moore would have another reason to hate DC.