The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

So the next big event (yawn) arrives next week, and I perceive a retcon disaster. Depending on who and when they say was impersonated, this could potentially invalidate dozens of stories. Quesada says Marvel doesn't do Crisis style reboots, but this is the perfect chance for just such a thing, at least with specific characters.

I'll follow this. I'm a Skrull fan and seeing them actually become menacing villains again instead of being ineffectual dopes is something I'd like to see. It's also looking like Nick Fury is going to return in a big way, which I support. But I don't much like Bendis as a writer, so my hopes are tempered.

Anyway, the confirmed Skrull list as of right now:

Elektra
Black Bolt
Dum Dum Dugan (since just after Captain America's assassination)

and in the "Who gives a shit" pile, you've got:

Cobalt Man
The Revolutionary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:21 am 
Presidential Hopeful

I got a free poster for this last time I was at my comic shop. I was too busy buying the Gunslinger Spawn 2 parter Image put out to care, though.

Might check it out next time I'm over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:58 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

99% of all comics suck today and you treasure the 1%, like Black Summer.

I've shelled out more money for bad comic books in the last year than I ever have in my life (52, Civil War, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers and the worst comic of all time, The Order).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:47 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Someone actually bought The Order?

Wow.

Actually, that reminds me, remember how Civil War was supposed to completely change the landscape of the Marvel Universe? Don't really see much about the 50 State Initiative or ProRegistration side any more, huh? The Order was supposed to be a big showcase, and it's cancelled. Avengers: The Initiative has turned into a Secret Invasion book. And the rest, except for a small bit of lip service, act like none of it ever happened.

In fact, it's now become comical how often the Mighty Avengers have let the New Avengers walk despite having every reason and opportunity to arrest them.

Fucking Marvel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:52 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Also, it looks like David Mack is the new Greg Land:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php ... stcount=61

Mack claims he had an artistic intention in swiping all of that, but really, what the fuck? What point is he trying to make by swiping art from an issue of Gen 13?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:33 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

yeah, bought the order :oops:

Marvel wouldn't have to worry about Ultimately destroying its fuggin universe because it needs a teenage Peter Parker for eternity if it actually created NEW CHARACTERS THAT PEOPLE CARED ABOUT.

In theory, books like the order should become good sellers. people should want to read about new characters. unfortunately for the order the writing
is beyond awful.

Know what else I'm sick of (sorry to rant), I'm tired of MTV Judd or whatever the f his name is coming on and trying to jump start ever DC book.
It's like calling in an electrician every six months to fix a house that has bad wiring. JUST REPLACE THE BAD WIRING YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!!

Here's a novel concept that those bastards at wizard would never think of pitching. (because you, know, all they do is kiss the ass of whatever they think is the artist or writer of the month):

have a cross-company promotion, dc, image, marvel or whatever, offer a 12-issue series to the top 10 artists and writers.

The series MUST feature a newly created hero AND enemy and can not have more than 2 guest appearances in the year by any established characters.

If you're really a great writer, then prove it by CREATING something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:19 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

With Marvel, I can sum up the problem in two words.

Quesada/Bendis. Bendis gets an idea, or steals it from a series that no one liked from DC (c'mon, Secret Invasion is just a rip off of Millenium). Tells it to Joe during their naked oil wrestling sessions and it's the status quo for the rest of the Marvel Universe.

I can't stand Bendis. His boards are full of sychophants and people who want to defend David Mack tracing everything he sees.

To put it in wrestling terms, Bendis and pals are like the Clique (only without the entertainment that Shawn and Co. gave us).

I'm sitting here with a month and a half worth of comics that I haven't read yet. Why haven't I read them? I read the last issue of New Avengers, and if you follow it you know the one I mean. Seven pages of Luke Cage and his wife on the phone going back and forth with Luke saying "You sold out" and Jessica saying "I did it for the baby". After those seven pages, we get 12 pages of them talking in front of Avengers Tower,the only time we see the rest of the team, it's them in an apartment talking about dishes. I was excpeting Dorothy and the rest of the Golden Girls to show up with the cheesecake at any time.

DC has its problems also, and as said before, Judd Winneck is one of them. The guy did an indie book that the hipster crowd enjoyed, so he should be given free reign on books owned by Time-Warner? WTF? But they do also have Grant Morrison working on something to make the universe work again, and I'll see what he does before passing judgement, that and the only DC books I read are usually Batman and Green Lantern even though I get half of their stuff.

Really, the problems start from the top in comics, so the big problems are Didio not really having a clue as to what the fans want from DC and Quesada knowing what the fans want but going against that and giving his buddy Bendis the keys to the kingdom.

BTW, I also bought the Odor, I mean the Order. How was it so critically acclaimed? Jeez, critics bag on Johns for wanting to expand the Green Lantern mythos and make it relevant again, but they fawn over somehing that has been done 10 times in the past decade. (Celebrity Super-Hero team, what a concept!) Not to mention the first issue retconned Demon in a Bottle from Iron Man by making the main character the reason Tony went to AA and stopped drinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:21 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Orpheus wrote:
Also, it looks like David Mack is the new Greg Land:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php ... stcount=61

Mack claims he had an artistic intention in swiping all of that, but really, what the fuck? What point is he trying to make by swiping art from an issue of Gen 13?

What's really funny is his buddies trying to say it's ok that he did it since it's not exactly a trace (he did bring a shoulder down a bit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Speaking of Bendis, I couldn't help but laugh about his little spat with Grant Morrison. Even Morrison's worst stuff (and yes, I realize that when Morrison's stuff doesn't work, it really, really doesn't work) is lightyears ahead of anything Bendis is caable of.

His plots are generic, but his worst offense is is his dialogue. Every character he writes sounds exactly like Ultimate Spider-Man. Every one. Captain America, Wolverine, doesn't matter. They all have the exact same voice. The guy is a hack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:03 am 
Friend of the Illuminati

Orpheus wrote:
Speaking of Bendis, I couldn't help but laugh about his little spat with Grant Morrison. Even Morrison's worst stuff (and yes, I realize that when Morrison's stuff doesn't work, it really, really doesn't work) is lightyears ahead of anything Bendis is caable of.

His plots are generic, but his worst offense is is his dialogue. Every character he writes sounds exactly like Ultimate Spider-Man. Every one. Captain America, Wolverine, doesn't matter. They all have the exact same voice. The guy is a hack.

I still say that bendis has compromising photos of Quesada somewhere, that is all I can think of for him to be given the leeway he does. That or they are lovers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:35 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Primus wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

I still say that bendis has compromising photos of Quesada somewhere, that is all I can think of for him to be given the leeway he does. That or they are lovers.

After she signed exclusivley with DC, Gail Simone talked a bit about how the attitude at Marvel kind of disgusted her and how, even though she had friends there, she wasn't sad to leave. She called it it a phony frat boy type atmosphere or something to that effect. And I can totally see that. No surprise that she ended up involved with Bendis' slagging of Morrison. She tried to be nice about it, but he turned right around and made some fucking stupid comments.

That's the other thing. If you look at a guy like Warren Ellis, he legitimately does not give a shit if you like his work or not. He'll readily admit that a lot of what he's done is absolute shit and tell you to take it or leave it. Bendis (and Quesada as well) are both really thin skinned. They get up in arms about what they percieve to be slights and hostile comments. They surround themselves with worshippers and yes men and when they are confronted with negative opinions they flip out. I can't stand them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:07 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Orpheus wrote:
Primus wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

And there lies the crux of the problem. When we complain about a book, we do it because we know that they are capable of more than what they are doing. Bendis was amazing on Daredevil, but now he has himself (by his own choice) spread so thin he half asses his way through all his books. If he did one Avengers title instead of two, he could concentrate on making the one better.

Quesada on the other hand has always been a second rate McFarlane/Liefeld clone. I can't remember anything he did that ever made me go "WOW", he's good, don't get me wrong, but he is so protective of his ego you can't tell him anything other than "you're the greatest ever".

Joe has done one good thing at Marvel and that is the availability of the Trades and hardcovers has increased greatly, but that too has led to decompression of storylines so most of the issues seem like filler and only can be enjoyed with a six month run or a trade. THAT is where Marvel is making their money, not the single issues, so people who use the money argument aren't defending Joe as EIC, they're defending the creators of the past that provided the work for the Essential and Classic Hardcovers.

Getting back to Secret Invasion, I said something on another board that got people thinking.

Bendis says this has been planned since he started New Avengers, what if the reason he says that is because of all the mistakes he made since starting it caused Marvel to need to reboot the characters to make them fit in canon again?

After she signed exclusivley with DC, Gail Simone talked a bit about how the attitude at Marvel kind of disgusted her and how, even though she had friends there, she wasn't sad to leave. She called it it a phony frat boy type atmosphere or something to that effect. And I can totally see that. No surprise that she ended up involved with Bendis' slagging of Morrison. She tried to be nice about it, but he turned right around and made some fucking stupid comments.

That's the other thing. If you look at a guy like Warren Ellis, he legitimately does not give a shit if you like his work or not. He'll readily admit that a lot of what he's done is absolute shit and tell you to take it or leave it. Bendis (and Quesada as well) are both really thin skinned. They get up in arms about what they percieve to be slights and hostile comments. They surround themselves with worshippers and yes men and when they are confronted with negative opinions they flip out. I can't stand them.