The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:18 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

There aren't many books about wrestling that I like.

I'm midway through "Ring of Hell" a new book by Matthew Randazzo V and it's fascinating.

It's about Chris Benoit, but there's a lot of detail about what it was like in Stampede back in the day, as well as the crazy training that was endured at those who studied at the dojo for New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:44 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Yeah, I'm wanting to pick that one up, regardless of what Benoit did it doesn't (in my eyes anyway) diminish anything he did in the ring and was one of the best in ring wrestlers ever.

But I know what you mean about wrestling books, too many of them (the ones from ECW Press anyway) basically are just people bitching about HHH and his relationship with Stephanie.

The ones I've really liked were:

The Death of WCW by RD Reynolds and Bryan Alvarez
Wrestlecrap by RD Reynolds (Yeah, I'm a fan of his)
In the Pit with Piper by Roddy Piper

I want to be entertained by wrestling books and learn something at the same time. When the writers just bitch and moan the entire time with generic statements like "VInce buying out WCW ruined the business" and "Triple H has too much power behind the scenes" it makes me cringe. It's easy to say that stuff, but they don't give any reasons for them or come up with anything that isn't said on any wrestling forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:33 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I finished the book. Fantastic.

If you were a fan of NJPW, you'll love the stories about Antonio Inoki getting bitchslapped by the Japan mob, details about Liger's push there, etc.

Lots of background on Stampede and how the Harts would go from beyond rich to real po' because Stu Hart was horrible with his money. The book talks about them living in a mansion with piss-stained carpets because they let the animals run wild and never cleaned up.

Also good stuff about ECW and Paul E. and how he liked to take chances on guys and make them big time, like Sandman.

Also great stuff about Benoit's relationship with Dynamite Kid, a truly messed up person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:09 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

I just finished Ring of Hell last night after getting it Monday night after RAW. Right now I'm in the middle of doing a review of it for the forum, expect it either tonight (Wed) or tomorrow.

I'm no K-man when it comes to reviews, but I believe myself, along with Tim and RSSuperman are knowledgeable enough about the SPORT of professional wrestling that any of us could and should review the book for the laymen in the BOA family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:07 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Primus,

Now that you've teased a review, I'm looking forward to reading it.
(want to see what you thought of the stuff I had previously disclosed in the book).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:52 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

redsonsuperman wrote:
Primus,

Now that you've teased a review, I'm looking forward to reading it.
(want to see what you thought of the stuff I had previously disclosed in the book).

Believe it or not, I'm working on it. I had to scrap my original because it seemed too one sided. So I went and re read the book, taking notes on what I liked and didn't like. I'd say it's at the 75% completed stage.