The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:31 pm 
Presidential Hopeful

I concur with Ross' love of Kirkman. He's pretty much the only thing I look forward to reading nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:12 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

SaucyRossy wrote:
because of him saying writers should leave major companies and do their own thing?

Doesn't make him any less of a great writer and doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the list.

The problem is that the comic book industry is one of insane politics. Look at how many once relevant creators now scrimp for work because they pissed off the wrong people. Hell, Jim Shooter was basically run out of DC again recently because of old grudges.

People in this industry are petty, vindictive, and tend to side with the big dog in fights.

Me? I love Kirkman. Invincible is, as far as I'm concerned, the single best superhero book on the market. But there is no denying that he stirred up a hornet's nest over the summer. He was made a partner at Image, so it's only rational for him to want to support independent work. But he spit in Marvel's eye (and DC's too, I guess, but he was never a DC guy so it doesn't really matter) and got into it with Bendis personally, online, and at conventions over his comments.

Seeing as how Marvel-biased the comic press (both online and print) tends to be (and Wizard specifically. They've had their nose up Marvel's ass for almost two decades.), you can't expect Kirkman to be regarded too well by the "gatekeepers". He basically said "Fuck being Marvel's slave, do your own stuff and get credit for it." I don't disagree with him, but the fact of the matter is he put himself in a precarious situation by doing that and all the people that ride Marvel's coattails are going to turn on him.

And anyway, those lists have always been biased, political bullshit. Most months the best artist or writer of that particular time wasn't even on the list, knocked aside for some flavor of the month.