The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:18 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I loathe Wizard.

the current issue included a Q&A with Warren Ellis, but you wouldn't know that from the cover of the mag.

the cover hypes an interview with Scarlett Johnnson -- in a movie.
the cover also hypes Spiderman 4 -- a movie.
Kevin Smith, who people know better for his movies than his comics
Buffy -- a tv show
oh and Ed Brubaker.

luckily the folks at my comic store know i read ellis stuff and suggested it.
maybe unluckily for me i read it.

The ellis interview, of course, discussed x-men. there's one question about anna mercury, one about why he hooked up with avatar.

but nothing about black summer, nothing about gravel or doktor sleepless or no hero.

IN OTHER WORDS --- NOTHING ABOUT ORIGINAL COMICS.

No, they'd rather talk about his take on x-men (we really need the puke emoticon for situations like this!!!)

which brings me to my second rant -- wizard's top 10 writers for the month

1. bendis -- for what? a horrible cross-over involving skrulls?
2. grant morrison - don't read him, so won't comment.
3. joss whedon - on the strength of a new ultimates event? puh-lease.
4. mark millar -- his current work on wolverine and kick-ass is kick ass. i hate his ff stuff.
5. geoff johns -- don't read his stuff, but kinda wish i did.
6. kevin smith -- SIXTH FOR A GUY WHO JUST GOT BACK into writing a batman miniseries? you're f'ing joking right?
7. Frank Miller -- seriously? Are you kidding me? All Star Batman and Robin blows!
8. Ed Brubaker. not a big fan, but give him credit for being entrusted with three key titles (Cap, daredevil and uncanny).
9. Warren Ellis -- ridiculous. Even if I weren't biased, he should be in the top 3. while other writers play with 30-year-old established titles, this guy is constantly churning out original shit. (I just wish more of it were ongoing and not just short riffs)
10. matt fraction -- not a fan.

Where's Garth Ennis? His crossed comic is awesome. and I'll be buying battlefields.
Where's Peter David?
Where's Judd Winick?

And I wish Mark Waid would get back to writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:21 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Wizard got into the movie crap about the time that Image seemed to implode. The magazine started as a way for them to hype Image and the big four they had (McFarlane, Lee, Liefeld and Silvestri) and every issue was based around them. Then as people realized that the books they were putting out were nothing more than some art books with random words inserted into them, they quit buying them. Wizard had to change direction to make it seem that they were edgy, so they go with the movie angle since superhero movies are hot right now. I've never liked WIzard. I hated that they decide what the books are worth and we've all heard about them hording books and raising the prices.

The one mag that I did like was Hero Illustrated (later just Hero), it was an alternative to Wizard that covered everything that Wizard didn't. It didn't pull punches, gave fair reviews, and had some generally kick ass content (ashcans, stickers, cards, etc..). But as with everything that is better than a competitor, Wizard forced the dealers to make a choice and they won out.

Damn WIzard, thanks to them we have to deal with Robot Fucking Chicken 50 times a night on Adult Swim (but they cancel Moral Orel, WTF?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Never bought Hero -- i always thought it was a gaming mag.

I get Previews every month to make my comic choices myself.
I subscribe to Comic Buyers Guide. I generally like that mag although I think everyone who writes for that mag grew up loving DC comics from the 70s.

I absolutely hate Tony Isabella as their comics reviewer. I don't think they've reviewed a single Avatar book yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:03 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

I completely forgot about CBG ( I just let my bro take them when they come in), but that is another one that is 10 times better than Wizard.

There's a few other comics mags I enjoy, althought they aren't keeping with current stuff. One is Alter Ego and the other is Back Issue. There's always a theme throughout the entire issue, either an artist, writer, time period, character, stuff like that. Roy Thomas is involved in it, so you know they have to be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:08 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I sincerely doubt that Wizard even exists within the next couple of years. Read up on how they run the business and how their circulation is basically nil. It ain't a pretty situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

where did you read about that?
just do a google search?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:22 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Wizard is moving more into movies out of necessity. The reality is that all print media is down in sales, i wouldn't be surprised if you see tons of major magazines move directly to online only.

with that said Wizard still has its strengths, it has some good writers and gets a lot of scoops.

As for Ellis, I love him. I love his writing style and I love his blog but for some reason I hate his run on Astonishing X-men.

And redson you dont like SI? I love it so far. I find it funny how Bendis could go from the darling of the indie world to one of the most hated mainstream writers in the span of five years. As for the rest of the list, its crap you are right....Brubraker is good but overrated imo. Matt Fraction was amazing with Iron Fist but I haven't read much of his stuff since then.

Also how in the fng world is Robert Kirkman not on that list EVERY g-d damn issue?
Robert Kirkman is easily one of the best writers in comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

in theory i like it, but it's become too consuming of the marvel universe. i bought the main title, but I'm not buying all the tie ins. they can kiss my ass.

now he's got the invasion going back years -- so how does that explain all those previous stories? (oh I know, just play along, there's no such thing as continuity anymore at marvel)

the whole new avengers title now being part of the skrull storyline blows.

the only good thing to come out of this whole mess is that hawkeye -- who should have never been killed -- will hopefully return to his old costume after being cap and ronin (uggh).

and then we'll have to deal with "Dark Reign."

Frankly, i think the Dark Reign has been the time period since Joe Q took control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:17 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

redsonsuperman wrote:
where did you read about that?
just do a google search?

RIch Johnston periodically does an update on the current state of Wizard in his Lying in the Gutters column. They've had everything from total management turnover to the editorial staff being fired to having unpaid interns do work to save money because their circulation is plummeting. The company is a joke.

SaucyRossy wrote:

Also how in the fng world is Robert Kirkman not on that list EVERY g-d damn issue?
Robert Kirkman is easily one of the best writers in comics.

Don't know if you've been following the brouhaha over the last couple of months, but Kirkman is a very controversial figure these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:57 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

because of him saying writers should leave major companies and do their own thing?

Doesn't make him any less of a great writer and doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the list.

Also Redson you seem like the typical case of some one that SI would never of worked for unless you did read New Avengers from the beginning.
If you did read New Avengers from the very beginning there were TONS of clues to the skrull invasion and going back and reading it now really gives you a new light into how well planned out this is by Bendis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:28 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

RSS, they (Marvel) can just have everyone make deals with Mephisto and everything will be set right (in Quesada's fucked up mind).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

i think SI tried to be too important, too big and went back too far.

so this is just a way to undo house of m and civil war?
how is that a good thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:21 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

redson you have to get your facts straight, for one neither House of M nor Civil War is being "undone" by SI. And yeah its going back far but if you take the time to do your research you will see that it had been planned from the beginning of New Avengers.

"- How far back was Secret Invasion being planned?

Bendis said he came to Tom with the idea when he was in the development stages of New Avengers as a series. The format it was going to take was built as time went on and seemed to tie in to bigger things. "Everyone was like, oh! The Civil War would be so great for the Skrulls!" he said. He said they talked about it at the retreats for a couple years. "It was only last year that Joe and Dan said, listen, if you really want to do it right and go farther then anything like this has done before, it's got to be a Marvel Universe story and not just an Avengers story," Bendis explained."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:47 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

hey, i'll apologize in advance for being wrong. i just don't think iron man will be running around trying to arrest unregistered superheroes when the dust settles from this war with the skrulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 am 
Merovingian

I didn't even know they still published Wizard. I haven't seen it anywhere in years.