The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Yeah, I thought Cosmos as well. Googled to confirm and found out I was wrong. Happened on the quote above that too (I know I'm not terribly well read, but I really can't believe I missed that one.) When I miss like that, I miss and I've already cheated to get the answer so I throw myself outta the game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

VampElvis wrote:
When I miss like that, I miss and I've already cheated to get the answer so I throw myself outta the game.

I tip my hat to ya Vamp. An insight into your true character.

Throughout life; one encounters all types of people. With many; IE: persons of authority, some of notoriety, bosses, bosses' wives & family, supervisors, C.O.'s, and so on; there comes a certain amount of "due respect" afforded them.

To me, however, "true respect" is something earned; and not to be given freely.

By giving me that bit 'o info quoted above; I now feel I've got a peek into part of what makes up your character; and would like you to know sir, you have earned mine.

Jerry
"D.a.t.P!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:26 am 
C2C Annual Guest

DiosKilos wrote:
Quote:
“Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.”

Okay, it's been over a week so I guess we'll get the ball rolling again.

From the works of "Plato"

I shall await official acknowledgment, and have another ready, since all these books were off the shelf.

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

KrispiDyslexic wrote:
DiosKilos wrote:
Quote:
“Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.”

Okay, it's been over a week so I guess we'll get the ball rolling again.

From the works of "Plato"

I shall await official acknowledgment, and have another ready, since all these books were off the shelf.

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

Well you got the author but you did not name the book...

"There is no such thing as black magic, only cheap tricks." -Doctor Parnassus, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 am 
C2C Annual Guest

DiosKilos wrote:

Well you got the author but you did not name the book...

Arrgh so true DK. An oversight for which I sincerely apologize.

My old book from school is very rudimentary. A 1975 History of Greek Philosophy, 4th. ed. by Guthrie.

From memory, I can recall a few; topping the list being "Apology" & "Republic."

This, however, strikes me as being from one of his numerous "papers" as they were called in my day.

While I have the quote underlined in light, faded pencil, (no such implements as highlight markers in my day) there is an added notation (also in pencil) on the previous page to his [Plato] paper "Timeaus." I shall stake my answer on Timeaus; and accept my memory of the Classics & Humanities could use considerable brushing up.

After exalting Vamp for his honorable behavior, I too refuse to attempt a search.

Let the chips fall where they may. Should I be incorrect, allow the quote to remain open in the hope another might step in.

RSS ????

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:18 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Well you had it then you put too much thought into it and lost it. The quotation was from Plato's Republic. I will give it to you for sheer effort. KrispiDyslexic the ball is in your court.

"There is no such thing as black magic, only cheap tricks." -Doctor Parnassus, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:40 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

Wow ... how very gracious of you D.K. s-efxariˈsto!

I do have a tendency to over think at times.

Okay, as I place these books back on the shelf .......

Quote:
"I established in them blind hopes."

If Vaeni would ever visit this thread, he might guess "It's Steven Greer to his minions, LOL!"

Obviously, it's not the case! (though it fits)

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:06 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

KrispiDyslexic wrote:

Quote:

Tuphlas in autois elpidas katoikisa "I established in them blind hopes."

I am pretty sure this is a reference to the theater play "Prometheus Bound" Unless there was a book written I am not sure; I am also not sure who the author is, as if you can really claim who the author of the myth of Prometheus is the begin with...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:25 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

DiosKilos wrote:
KrispiDyslexic wrote:

Quote:

Tuphlas in autois elpidas katoikisa "I established in them blind hopes."

I am pretty sure this is a reference to the theater play "Prometheus Bound"

Correct Dioskilos!

This small, worn paperback is from my first year @ college; and my introduction to Humanities 101.

At only 53 pages, it could very well have been a play. It most certainly reads like one. This 1972 Viking Press 2nd ed lists Aeschylus as the author ... uncontested; though I too share your sentiments of auspicious origins. He is, however, often recognized as the father of tragedy.

This version has Prometheus shackled to a large rock, near the ocean shore. I have happened upon other versions where he (since he was a Titan) is chained to the side of a mountain.

The honor is now yours Dioskilos. Well done!

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:57 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Quote:
"One of the most hidden secrets involves the so-called fall of Angels. Satan and his rebellious host will thus prove to have become the direct Saviours and Creators of divine man. Thus Satan, once he ceases to be viewed in the superstitious spirit of the church, grows into the grandiose image. It is Satan who is the God of our planet and the only God. Satan (or Lucifer) represents the Centrifugal Energy of the Universe this ever-living symbol of self-sacrifice for the intellectual independence of humanity."

This is easy...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

DiosKilos wrote:
"This is easy..."

Well my friend, not in my case. I don't know if I'm over thinking again, impaired by my medications [as usual], or just truly subject to ignorance in this area. Curiosity might get the better of me in due time, and I'll attempt a search; but not yet.

This may sound weird, but my first thought was "Anton LaVey." It's too eloquent for him, however.

I'm afraid I must concede this one; and suggest we draw some others back into the game.

Vamp ???? rss ????? ...... we need more participants.

Good one DiosKilos.

Jerry
D.a.t.p!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I'll give you a hint. SHE is a must read for anyone who is a member of a Esoteric Forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:53 am 
C2C Annual Guest

Well that certainly helps explain things. Though somewhat schooled in the classics; I am an "Esoteric Newbie" for all intents and purposes. Explanation forthwith however I apologize for taking this thread "off topic."

The Paratopia Rec Center has a thread started a while back something to the effect "New People - how did you find us and become interested?"

My response had to do with a life changing injury suffered four years ago. Being left immobile, in severe pain, and heavily medicated, I looked for any means of escape. After a year of crackpot media, favorite TV shows quickly turning into reruns, and very slow progress toward recovery; severe depression began to set in. I needed that escape.

I remembered my years of working night shift, and becoming a fan of Art Bell and C2C. Quickly becoming disappointed with the new host, and most of the subject matter, I discovered this relatively new information venue called PodCasting. Sifting through what was out there, I found BoA, and Paratopia. I've been hooked since. It's not just entertainment; I'm learning.

I do not own any books on the "esoteric" at this time. Finances remain difficult. After two years, my job of 15 years was forfeited. Long Term Disability cut me off; as I hit that "own occupation" clause. It is one of those deals where doctors say I am incapable of work and will not release me; yet the insurance companies say I can; so appeal after appeal get reviewed and denied. S.S.D. is in the process; but there is no guarantee, and it can take years. Right now, we're just barely hanging on. We worked hard to pay off our home; then used an equity line of credit to help our Daughter with College.

Oh crap I could kick myself. [ Embarrassed ] I feel apologies are in order. I didn't intend to veer off with that particular trail of thought. It also serves as a good indicator one should show restraint when evening medications kick in; and stay away from the keyboard. I actually dozed off mid sentence. Hey, it's no joke times are tough right now, but our situation isn't special. Many are doing their best to cope.

Jerry
"D.a.t.p!"

Last edited by KrispiDyslexic on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Am I safe to assume this isn't a writing of The Universal Friend (nee Jemima Wilkinson)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:40 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

VampElvis wrote:
Am I safe to assume this isn't a writing of The Universal Friend (nee Jemima Wilkinson)?

Nope not Jeminma Wilkinson. I'll give you another hint. She was considered a Male born into a Female body by some off her Masonic colleagues. She went on to found one of the most influential sub-masonic societies.