The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL PLAYOFFS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:36 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

jboston wrote:
As Tony Kornheiser said the Caps are "dying, choking dogs". I can't believe they blew a 3-1 series lead and lost game 7 at home.

There's a lot of confidence here in Pittsburgh about the series with Montreal but I'm not so sure. It's not like the Habs won a single fluke game against the number 1 seed. They beat them four times to win the series and the Caps swept the Pens in the regular season (see where I'm going here). The entire playoffs for the Pens is going to be determined by their goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. With Crosby playing as well as he is and IF Fleury plays in top form they will win the Cup.

BTW, after the Olympics and the playoffs can we now call him Alexander O-wretch-kin...get it? LOL...get it?...pfft, whatever.

I was shocked by that series loss too, but there is almost always an 8th seed knocking off 1st seeds almost every year. That part in not uncommon. The coming back from 3-1 to win is pretty rare though.

Coaching had a lot to do with that loss as well. I like Bruce Boudreau, but with Montreal collapsing in front of the net so much and blocking shots, it was time to make some strategy changes that never got made. OV, all season was good at end to end rushes down the LW side, but Montreal had that plugged up, yet they kept trying it over and over again.

Also Semin, Backstrom, and a few others were nowhere to be found on the score-sheet compared to their regular season stats. OV, can't win a series all by himself, and neither could Crosby, or even Gretzky for that matter.

It's easy to blame it on the star player, but when the whole team plays sub par with a 3-1 series lead, then there is a bigger problem on the team that caused such a monumental choke.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:37 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I am going to try to keep track of all the games and scores from this round on in this thread.

ROUND 2:

G1: Flyers 4 Boston 5 (OT)
G2: Flyers 2 Boston 3
G3: Boston 4 Flyers 1
G4: Boston 4 Flyers 5 (OT)
G5: Flyers 4 Boston 0
G6: Boston 1 Philadelphia 2
G7: Flyers 4 Boston 3

FLYERS ADVANCE 4-3

G1: Montreal 3 Pittsburgh 6
G2: Montreal 3 Pittsburgh 1
G3: Pittsburgh 2 Montreal 0
G4: Pittsburgh 2 Montreal 3
G5: Montreal 1 Pittsburgh 2
G6: Pittsburgh 3 Montreal 4
G7: Montreal 5 Pittsburgh 2

MONTREAL ADVANCES 4-3

G1: Detroit 3 San Jose 4
G2: Detroit 3 San Jose 4
G3: San Jose 4 Detroit 3 (OT)
G4: San Jose 1 Detroit 7
G5: Detroit 1 San Jose 2

SAN JOSE ADVANCES 4-1

G1: Vancouver 5 Chicago 1
G2: Vancouver 2 Chicago 4
G3: Chicago 5 Vancouver 2
G4: Chicago 7 Vancouver 4
G5: Vancouver 4 Chicago 1
G6: Chicago 5 Vancouver 1

CHICAGO ADVANCES 4-2
(* if Needed)

Last edited by Stucifer on Sat May 15, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Do not doubt the Little Lebowski Urban Acheivers (aka Boston Bruins).

Thrilling OT victory today (which I missed because I was napping).

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:25 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

binnall wrote:
Do not doubt the Little Lebowski Urban Acheivers (aka Boston Bruins).

Thrilling OT victory today (which I missed because I was napping).

Great reference. I love that movie.

I missed most of the game. I just caught the end of the third and OT. I was napping too, it's the best hangover cure ever invented lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Well slap my ass and call me silly.

The (small) miracle run continues ~! Bruins up 2-0. Yeah, baby. I'm channeling my inner MM.

Bring on Pittsburgh or Montreal !!

The Stanley Cup will return to Boston !!!

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

binnall wrote:
Well slap my ass and call me silly.

The (small) miracle run continues ~! Bruins up 2-0. Yeah, baby. I'm channeling my inner MM.

Bring on Pittsburgh or Montreal !!

The Stanley Cup will return to Boston !!!

I am not sure if they got what it takes to win all the marbles, but I think they can take Philly for sure.

Montreal (who I hate lol) seem to be that dark horse team this year that will shock everyone by winning games they shouldn't be able to win. I Hope that is not the case, but there seems to be one of those teams every year lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:00 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Both really good games last night. I was flicking back and forth between the two.
Montreal fell apart in the 3 which made me happy lol

After that game, I changed it to the Wings/Sharks game, but it appeared that the Wings were going to win that one. It was 3-1 at that point in the 3rd. I decided to do something else and stopped watching. I was surprised to see that the sharks came back to tie it, then take it in overtime. Nicely done San Jose. Detroit is in a bit of a pickle now being 3 games down in the series.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Boston put another spanking on the Flyers tonight. Taking a 3-0 lead in the series. Looks like they are gonna end this round off quickly.

Chicago is up 1-0 in the first as I write this. Hopefully Vancouver can pull off some magic here and comeback and take the win in this one... I hope anyways.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:21 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Well Vancouver lost an ugly one last night. Hopefully they come back next game with some fight. This series should go to the wire.

Tonight San Jose has a chance to oust the Wings. Do they have what it takes to deliver the killing blow?, or will Detroit try to rally back and live for another day? Should be a good one.

Then we have the feisty Canadians, who will be fighting hard to avoid going down 3-1 against the Penguins. Sure they were in that position vs the Caps and came back, but I highly doubt they could muster enough to repeat that feat twice in a row.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:02 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Holy Shit, Montreal just wont Die LMAO

Man Detroit sure made it clear that they weren't ready to hit the golf course with that 7-1 beat down on the Sharks. Wow, what an ass kicking lol. Hopefully for Shark fans, they are able to keep their throats clear from any choking hazards and not let the Wings back into this series.

On the subject of elimination, it's Boston's turn tonight to finish off the Flyers. Will Philadelphia manage to muster the same desperation that Detroit did last night? It will be fun to find out.

Vancouver needs to get their shit together for tonight's game. Clearly the Refs are not doing anything about Chicago's constant abuse of Louongo (which happened in the last series a bit too). It's smart on Chicago's part, the constant pestering makes the goalies job way harder, it fucks with the defense, and in turn messes up the offense.

If they can manage to keep their composure, and protect their net minder, then I think they will tie this bad boy up tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:12 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Chicago really seems to have Vancouver's number the last two years. They are keeping with that trend last night with that 7-4 thumping. Canucks are in a deep hole now.

Boston got bit by the 'can't finish' bug too. It was a good game though, Boston forced OT in dramatic fashion, but just couldn't get it done. They have 2 more chances to send the Flyers home. Can they do it for Tim? lol

The Habs/Penguin game tonight should be good. One team will take the series lead, but at the rate these teams are going, that lead could be short lived come next game.

Sharks will try again to eliminate the Wings. After the ass stomping Detroit dished out last game, the momentum may be in their favor, But then again, I am sure San Jose don't want to look like fools 2 games in a row. Let the battle begin.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:35 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Sharks FINALLY accomplish something, beating the Wings.

Marleau and Thornton hook up for the winner. About time they teamed up to lead their team deep in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Yeah, Sharks finally got it done. I knew it was just a matter of time.

Montreal may have reached the peak of their luck, being down a game, even playing at home is never easy for a team to deal with. But these fuckers keep surprising me these playoffs, so I wont call them dead until I see the body for myself lol.

Like I said in a earlier post, I think Chicago has Vancouver's number in the playoffs. I would love to see the Canucks win the cup, but I don't think they can get back into this one.

Boston's next chance to advance is in the next game.... DON'T CHOKE lol

Looks like the conference finals are starting to look like
Chicago vs San Jose in the west, and Pittsburgh vs Boston in the east. Barring any freak comeback. (I'm looking at you Montreal!!!)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:11 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Stucifer wrote:

Montreal may have reached the peak of their luck, being down a game, even playing at home is never easy for a team to deal with. But these fuckers keep surprising me these playoffs, so I wont call them dead until I see the body for myself lol.

Like I said in a earlier post, I think Chicago has Vancouver's number in the playoffs. I would love to see the Canucks win the cup, but I don't think they can get back into this one.

Chicago vs San Jose in the west, and Pittsburgh vs Boston in the east. Barring any freak comeback. (I'm looking at you Montreal!!!)

Luongo's a fraud. Everyone talks about what a world beater he is and yet, what has he done?

the Canucks have enough offense to advance. If that were Brodeur in his prime, they'd win 3-4 Cups.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

redsonsuperman wrote:
Stucifer wrote:

Luongo's a fraud. Everyone talks about what a world beater he is and yet, what has he done?

the Canucks have enough offense to advance. If that were Brodeur in his prime, they'd win 3-4 Cups.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he is a fraud. There are tons of players that play amazing all year and can't get it going in the playoffs. Look at Joe Thorton, It took him like 5 or so years of making the playoffs before he produced anything this year.

Being Captain is probably another problem. At this time of year, a goalie should not have to think about anything else but stopping the puck. The added stress of being Captain, which will add a lot more pressure to any player, is only going to make a goalie play worse then normal.

And lets not forget the talent that is on the Chicago Blackhawks. That team is loaded with goal scoring sticks. Not just that, but they have been all in Lou's face all series long, just like they did last year, and that has really thrown off Vancouver's game, because they have managed to get under the Canucks skins and make them change their game plan, which has not been successful.

Also in the last round, most of their trouble was due to a super shitty PK and a just as bad PP. Some of that has carried over to this round. That stuff is not Louongo's fault, its the offense and defense dropping the ball on those ones.

At this point in the game (the 1st period just ended) Vancouver is up 2-0, and why? well that's because Chicago, probably in elimination mode, are not crashing the net and causing traffic in front of the net like they have in their 3 wins. If they don't get back to that gritty style that was working for them, then watch Vancouver get back in this series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next