The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL PLAYOFFS
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Wow Montreal just keeps getting it done. As much as I don't like them, they are slowly gaining my respect lol. Shutting out Crosby all series long. Its off to game 7 now...

Boston is now suffering from the choke syndrome that affects some teams this time of year. They got spanked tonight 4-0. The only plus side for them is they only need to win 1 game, and Philadelphia needs to win 2.

Vancouver's next game should be a tough one, with a lot of injuries to their blue line, including Salo taking a puck to the nut sack last night (it's been reported as a ruptured testicle, although he is listed day to day)..OUCH.... Like I said before though, If Chicago doesn't get back to the heavy traffic in front of the net, with lots of goalie abuse, then the Canucks have a good chance to get back into this one and force a game 7.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Well Chicago got back to their style and made the Canucks look silly in their own building. A lot of people are putting the goat horns on Louongo, and to a degree they may be right, but Vancouver's blue line was destroyed during the course of the series, which did not help things.

Also let's not forget the Chicago is a team stacked with young talent.

Now its Chicago VS San Jose in the Western Conference Final. This is a tough one to call. San Jose is due to win big, but Chicago is pretty dangerous.

I would like to see the Sharks take this one, but my gut says Blackhawks in 7. We will see.

Tonight we will find out if Montreal is for real and if they can take out the champs in this game 7.

Boston also gets another chance to send the Flyers home....

Two great games on tap tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

Quote:
Tonight we will find out if Montreal is for real and if they can take out the champs in this game 7.

Yes Montreal is for real. Excuses will be made but the truth is that the better team won.

To pull out the Kornheiser quote..."dying choking dogs". Pittsburgh has been overrated all year long. All I ever heard was "just wait, they'll turn it on when they need to". I had my doubts and they proved to be correct.

How did the Pens go from Cup champions to a shell of their former self:
- The power play was horrendous.
- An unreliable goalie in Fleury
- Evgeni Malkin constantly underachieving.

In my opinion the biggest problem is the coaching. Dan Byalsma took over a well-structured team from Michel Therrien and rode them to the Stanley Cup last year. The Pen's have a coach who prefers a hands-off approach and it cost them.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Oh no !

The Celtics have stolen the (small) miracle mojo from the Bruins !!

The B's cannot suffer the horrific indignity of being one of only 4 teams (in all 4 major sports) to blow a 3-0 lead. They can't become like the choking Spankees. Noooo !!!

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:35 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

jboston wrote:
Quote:

Yes Montreal is for real. Excuses will be made but the truth is that the better team won.

To pull out the Kornheiser quote..."dying choking dogs". Pittsburgh has been overrated all year long. All I ever heard was "just wait, they'll turn it on when they need to". I had my doubts and they proved to be correct.

How did the Pens go from Cup champions to a shell of their former self:
- The power play was horrendous.
- An unreliable goalie in Fleury
- Evgeni Malkin constantly underachieving.

In my opinion the biggest problem is the coaching. Dan Byalsma took over a well-structured team from Michel Therrien and rode them to the Stanley Cup last year. The Pen's have a coach who prefers a hands-off approach and it cost them.

Well, he was better than Therrien, which isn't saying much.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:32 am 
Member of Trilateral Commission

Quote:

While Therrien was hated by the players he demanded respect. He created a very regimented team that was good at the fundamentals which they are now lacking under Byalsma (i.e. the power play and defense). Having said that I wouldn't want Therrien back simply because his personality was so abrasive and detrimental to the team. He caused so much friction during the first half of the 08-09 season that the Pens almost didn't make the playoffs. However I look at a player like Evgeni Malkin who was in my opinion the key to the Pens defending the cup. Not that he's the best player but his lack of production created a huge gap that had to be filled and it never really was. Malkin is a player who thrives on being challenged and apparently there was no one on the coaching staff doing that. Sometimes a team needs an authoritative figure not a buddy, which is according to all reports the way Byalsma coaches.

Of course all of that shouldn't take away from Montreal series win. They earned it.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

jboston wrote:
Quote:

While Therrien was hated by the players he demanded respect. He created a very regimented team that was good at the fundamentals which they are now lacking under Byalsma (i.e. the power play and defense). Having said that I wouldn't want Therrien back simply because his personality was so abrasive and detrimental to the team. He caused so much friction during the first half of the 08-09 season that the Pens almost didn't make the playoffs. However I look at a player like Evgeni Malkin who was in my opinion the key to the Pens defending the cup. Not that he's the best player but his lack of production created a huge gap that had to be filled and it never really was. Malkin is a player who thrives on being challenged and apparently there was no one on the coaching staff doing that. Sometimes a team needs an authoritative figure not a buddy, which is according to all reports the way Byalsma coaches.

Of course all of that shouldn't take away from Montreal series win. They earned it.

Therrien would have cost the Pens Orpik, so he had to go. Not only was he abrasive, but he whined like a bitch during the series with the Wings in '08. It was ridiculous.

If you're right about Malkin needing to be pushed, then don't you put some of that blame on Sindy?
The peer pressure of the locker room should bring out the best in a player like Malkin.

When in doubt, blame Crosby. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Reading the comments regarding the Penguins, I can agree with most of it. They were not the team they were last season that's for sure. They lost a few players from last season, which often happens.

The Coaching situation is interesting. Last season, they were near the bottom of the league until the coaching change, and like many teams, they respond on instinct with the change and make a big swing in the right direction. This season, it appeared the chemical reaction caused by the coaching change had worn off. It happens.

Who would have though that Hal Gill would have fucked his former club up so bad? lol
When he played in Boston, his size made him known, but he wasn't that great. He is traded to the Leafs (yet another shitty deal with the Bruins lol) and the fans here hated him. He was just plain bad. Eventually he gets to Pittsburgh and wins a cup, then is shipped of to Montreal, where now he is being talked about like he was fucking Bobby Orr or something... that's crazy lol.

A lot of people are blaming Flurry, much like Luongo in Vancouver, but in both situations, it was more the teams fault. Turn overs, being out of position, sloppy play, etc. Washington out played Montreal big time, but could not solve Halak, but Pittsburgh was never able to get anything going on offense or defense. As much as it pains me to admit, the better team *cough* won in that series.

As for Boston and their slide down to choke town, I think Philadelphia has the momentum going hard now. (sorry Tim lol)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:40 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Philadelphia made history. It seemed fitting, they were behind in the series 3-0 and came back to tie it, then were down in the game 3-0 and came back to tie it. It was a good game though.

Now they have to deal with the super lucky Habs in the conference final... It will be Montreal's easiest opponent on paper, so we will have to wait and see if they keep their run going or fall apart.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

It's Conference final time. It's Montreal Vs Philly in the East, and San Jose vs Chicago in the West.

What are your picks?

I am far from a Montreal Fan, but with their run thus far, I will have to put my money on them this round.

I would like to see San Jose win this one, but Chicago is a feisty team. It's not going to be easy. My heart says Sharks, but my brain says Chicago. Not sure which one to go with on this one.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Stucifer wrote:
It's Conference final time. It's Montreal Vs Philly in the East, and San Jose vs Chicago in the West.

What are your picks?

I am far from a Montreal Fan, but with their run thus far, I will have to put my money on them this round.

I would like to see San Jose win this one, but Chicago is a feisty team. It's not going to be easy. My heart says Sharks, but my brain says Chicago. Not sure which one to go with on this one.

I don't believe in either team from the East. I think either one will be roadkill for whoever makes it out of the West.

While I think Chicago has more talent than SJ, I refuse to believe in any team that inlucdes Brian Campbell.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

I've been hiding from this thread, due to the overwhelming shame of such a hideous choke job by the Bruins. This Spring explains why the B's are Boston's distant 4th favorite professional sports team. I guess it is time for me to go back to ignoring them again.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
I've been hiding from this thread, due to the overwhelming shame of such a hideous choke job by the Bruins. This Spring explains why the B's are Boston's distant 4th favorite professional sports team. I guess it is time for me to go back to ignoring them again.

They have a bright future ahead of them after they pick Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers with the second overall pick they fleeced from Toronto.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

redsonsuperman wrote:
binnall wrote:

They have a bright future ahead of them after they pick Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers with the second overall pick they fleeced from Toronto.

Redsonsuperman is right Tim, they have a bright future in front of them. Goaltending is solid. Top 2 pick this year, another 1st rounder next season courtesy of Brian Burke and the Maple Leafs. A second round pic from the same deal. The will be competitors for many years to come.

I didn't get a chance to post in here yesterday, but I must now comment on the opening games on Sunday.

The San Jose/Chicago games was good. It was a tight game, much like I suspected it would be. However there was nothing tight about the 6-0 beating Montreal took from Philadelphia. That series could be an ugly one for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:29 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I haven't had the time to update this thread this whole last round. In fact I didn't have time to watch any of the games either. I watched the first game of the Flayers/Habs series and that's about it.

I did see a bit of the game last night. Montreal has finally been sent home. I loved that the Flyers fans were singing that stupid 'ole ole' song they love love to sing in Montreal when the Canadians are winning a game. It was a nice verbal bitchslap for being duchebags lmao.

The Cup finals will be good. I definitely think Chicago will take the cup home this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next