The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011 MLB thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
I'll admit, I'm pretty choked up tonight. Congrats to Tim Wakefield on his 200th career win. It couldn't happen to a better guy.

It's a cool milestone for him to reach, but he's just taking up a spot in the rotation unnecessarily these days. He should retire.

He's 10-16 since going 11-5 in 2009.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

With Dice K gone since May, Buchholz gone since July, Beckett out the last two starts, and Lachey doing terrible, he's needed right now, trust me. I'd rather a spotty Wakefield than some of the minor league guys who aren't really getting it done.

Plus, those numbers are a bit skewed, since he'd have at least 3 or 4 more wins the last two years. Those leads were blown by the bullpen.

This may be the last hurrah for Wake, but I'm still hopeful he sticks around one more year to try and make a run at the all-time Red Sox wins record (he only needs 8 more to catch Cy Young and Clemens).

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
With Dice K gone since May, Buchholz gone since July, Beckett out the last two starts, and Lachey doing terrible, he's needed right now, trust me. I'd rather a spotty Wakefield than some of the minor league guys who aren't really getting it done.

Plus, those numbers are a bit skewed, since he'd have at least 3 or 4 more wins the last two years. Those leads were blown by the bullpen.

This may be the last hurrah for Wake, but I'm still hopeful he sticks around one more year to try and make a run at the all-time Red Sox wins record (he only needs 8 more to catch Cy Young and Clemens).

Well in that case, I hope he comes back. You gotta root for anyone who can take down any record that Clemens holds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Ahhhhh, anyone need a tissue?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh. I've been miserable all day. What an epic collapse.

This year's Sox team, despite being called one of the best in baseball, just never really had that 'it factor' that made them something special. It showed in their awful start and it was proven in their atrocious September.

I've been listening to WEEI all day and everyone is pissed. Head's will roll over this meltdown. Wouldn't be surprised to see big management changes and some of the lackluster players being shipped out, even if it costs a bunch of money. Lackey is probably done in Boston. I wish Crawford was too, since he sucks, but they'll probably keep him and give him a 2nd chance to do something here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
Ugh. I've been miserable all day. What an epic collapse.

This year's Sox team, despite being called one of the best in baseball, just never really had that 'it factor' that made them something special. It showed in their awful start and it was proven in their atrocious September.

I've been listening to WEEI all day and everyone is pissed. Head's will roll over this meltdown. Wouldn't be surprised to see big management changes and some of the lackluster players being shipped out, even if it costs a bunch of money. Lackey is probably done in Boston. I wish Crawford was too, since he sucks, but they'll probably keep him and give him a 2nd chance to do something here.

:( Sorry you're upset Tim ! It would have been fun to face the Sox again in the playoffs .
:shock: I didn't even expect the Yankees to get into the playoffs because of the starting pitching .I guess i'm not that great of a prediction maker afterall !!!!!
:lol:
I've been very busy so i've had less time to focus on baseball lately .
There's always next year !!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Someone said that the the Red Sox spent $340 million the past two seasons not to make the playoffs.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's fantastic.

Meanwhile, the Tabbies are about to knock the Yankees out of the playoffs again. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:44 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

If you don't like Leyland you don't like baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Robin Ventura was named manager of the Chicago White Sox today.

On one hand, I'm really happy. Ventura was robably my favorite third baseman, ahead of George Brett and Dean Palmer. I have all of Ventura's rookie cards.

On the other hand, Ventura being named a manager reminds of just how old I'm getting.

When Tram and Gibby and Mattingly became managers, it was a jarring sign of aging, but those were the heroes of my youth.

Ventura came along at the end of my baseball card collecting. I never really coveted any other rookie cards after this one:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
Shadow Person

:evil: The Yankees deserved to lose . They have to cut dead wood . They should have won . They let 2 big chances go to waste !!! :shock:
A-rod ,Jeter,and Posada are getting old .
Time to retool . Congrats to Tigers and REDSONSUPERMAN .
Enjoy !!! :D 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Smoke'em if you got'em.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

I don't like this kinder, gentler, more self-aware MM. He scares me.

Rooting for a Tigers v. Brewers WS. Detroit isn't making it easy, though. Hell of a game tonight, I popped huge for Valverde getting out of the 9th unscathed. Too bad about the ending.

With Boston out, it's great to see NY and Philly gone too. Philly getting eliminated was a stunner. Shades of the 90's Atlanta Braves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Most of Detroit has already turned their attention towards the Lions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Don't give up the faith, RSS. Tigers are still in this and, if they win today, it's a best-of-3 series and anything can happen.

Meanwhile, the other shoe is about to drop in Boston as it looks almost certain that GM Theo Epstein is leaving for the Cubs. This is probably for the best, all the way around, since Theo's big moves have almost all turned out to be busts over the last few years and it's time for a change in the GM spot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
Don't give up the faith, RSS. Tigers are still in this and, if they win today, it's a best-of-3 series and anything can happen.

Meanwhile, the other shoe is about to drop in Boston as it looks almost certain that GM Theo Epstein is leaving for the Cubs. This is probably for the best, all the way around, since Theo's big moves have almost all turned out to be busts over the last few years and it's time for a change in the GM spot.

Did you see the Boston Globe story about the Sox meltdown?

The only got that came out of that story clean was Pedroia.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next