The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

First big move today, Jonathan Papelbon is expected to sign w. the Phillies. 4 years / 50 million. As RSS would say, the rich get richer.

As a Sox fan, I'm not too saddened to see Pap go. It seemed like he was out the door the last two years, so it's no big surprise.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
C2C Annual Guest

Pujols is taking a look at at the Marlins. Hopefully it just a vacation for him, but Tony retiring like he did is a worry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:54 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
First big move today, Jonathan Papelbon is expected to sign w. the Phillies. 4 years / 50 million. As RSS would say, the rich get richer.

As a Sox fan, I'm not too saddened to see Pap go. It seemed like he was out the door the last two years, so it's no big surprise.

They do, and the Red Sox will. You don't care to see Pap gone because you know the Red Sox are going to steal someone else's young stud closer in a lopsided trade. That's how it always goes, eh?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

If Pujols goes from one of the great baseball towns to the Marlins, well that's just further proof of how effed up baseball really is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Stunner !! Albert Pujols chooses the Anaheim Angels with a 10 year / ~250-60 million deal !!

Also, Marlins are super aggressive this off-season, having signed closer Heath Bell, SS Jose Reyes, and starter Mark Burhle to big deals.

Red Sox keep David Ortiz in kind of a yawner move, but, hey, we've got Bobby V now, so everything is going to be okay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:15 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
Stunner !! Albert Pujols chooses the Anaheim Angels with a 10 year / ~250-60 million deal !!

Also, Marlins are super aggressive this off-season, having signed closer Heath Bell, SS Jose Reyes, and starter Mark Burhle to big deals.

Red Sox keep David Ortiz in kind of a yawner move, but, hey, we've got Bobby V now, so everything is going to be okay.

The Pujols deal is disgusting. $25 mil a year for a guy who is already 31???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Aren't there rumors he actually closer to 34-35?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Detroit Tigers to sign Prince Fielder to a 9 year / $214 million dollar deal !!

I'm surprised, since it seemed like a Rangers/Nationals/Cubs race to get Prince.

Cabrera & Fielder are going to be a brutal twosome in Detroit's lineup.

Still morally outraged over baseball's broken economic system, RSS ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Last edited by redsonsuperman on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

lol, I have no idea what that means, but I take it that you approve of the Fielder signing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:01 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
lol, I have no idea what that means, but I take it that you approve of the Fielder signing.

I still think baseball is flawed worse than every other pro sports league, but today is a day of celebration in the D.

Last week, the Tigers were a team that wasn't looking to do much in free agency. VMart goes down, and the owner green lights going out andspending a quarter of a Mil on a player in the prime of his career.

Cecil said "That's crazy" in an interview about his son coming back to Detroit.

Let's just hope him and Cecil get back on good terms now that he's coming back home to be a Tiger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

If RSS is happy, then I am happy.

I'll just file the events of today in my mental rolodex for the next time you rip on the Red Sox for spending uber $$ on a free agent. That said, the Yankees are fair game for your rage, no problem.

I was going to ask if this will hurt the Tigers' chance of keeping Verlander, but I see he is under contract until 2015 and they'll have rid themselves of the Victor Martinez money by then, so it should be workable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
If RSS is happy, then I am happy.

I'll just file the events of today in my mental rolodex for the next time you rip on the Red Sox for spending uber $$ on a free agent. That said, the Yankees are fair game for your rage, no problem.

I was going to ask if this will hurt the Tigers' chance of keeping Verlander, but I see he is under contract until 2015 and they'll have rid themselves of the Victor Martinez money by then, so it should be workable.

People in Detroit are already panicking about the 9 years.

1. He's in the prime of his career.
2. There's no salary cap, so who cares?
3. I won't care if they suck for another 20 years if they win a World Series due to this deal.

If this were football or hockey and they pulled that kind of deal, you might want to pull your hair out.

But it's baseball, where money is no object so long as you have an owner willing to dish it out like lettuce.

and the cherry on top today?

That vile creature known as Posada retired. Fuck the Yankees.