The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012 MLB Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Sigh. Good riddance 2012 Red Sox season.

Saddened that the baseball in Boston is over for the year, but happy that the circus has disbanded.

Heard them read this passage during the closing moments of tonight's Red Sox coverage on the radio, apparently an annual tradition, and thought it poignant enough to re-post here:

Quote:
The Green Fields of the Mind by A. Bartlett Giamatti

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.

Anyway, congrats to RSS' Detroit Tigers & MM's NY Yankees on advancing into the postseason. Additional huge congrats to Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers on acheiving the first Triple Crown in 45 years. His chase for the Crown has been criminally under-covered by ESPN, et al, and the contention that Mike Trout deserves the AL MVP over him is fucking insane.

BTW, great article on the significance of Cabrera's Triple Crown - http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/29576/miguel-cabrera-dons-well-won-triple-crown

Also the stunning seasons for Oakland and Baltimore have been a joy to watch. I am a Red Sox fan, but I am also a baseball fan and I enjoy a great story as much as anyone, which those two teams provided in spades. Looking forward to the wildcard play-in games, which will surely be awesome.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:01 am 
Site Admin

Congrats to Adam Gorightly's beloved Giants on another WS win. That team just shut down both the Cardinals and the Tigers and looked really fucking dominant these last few weeks.

Condolences, of course, go out to RSS, who has now seen his beloved Tigers get swept twice in the last 6 years or so. I was pulling for Detroit, so this is pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Let me just say that I'm glad the series came to a sweeping end so we didn't have to endure three more games of Fox shitting all over Detroit with their cross-promotional bullshit.

They interviewed a taco innovator one night.

They brought a SF fan, Zooey Daschanel, to sing the national anthem to MOTOWN. As if the D didn't have 50,000 better options than her.

And they listed among the local celebs at last night's game Ann Romney and, I shit you not, Matthew Perry.

Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are definitely going up on my 2013 Death Pool -- not to mention a certain Panda.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Delmon Young and Jose (Papa Grande) Valverde are done as Tigers, says the GM today.

Anibal Sanchez is priority No.1 -- although a boatload of teams will be offering him money.

Other than a corner outfielder, Tigers don't expect to do much in free agency, although nobody expected them to sign Fielder last year.

Josh Hamilton probably won't end up in the D. But what about Justin Upton??? :!: :?: :idea:

For once in a long time, Tigers don't have a shitload of needs. So it could be boring winter.

Still, it'll be fun to see the BoSox and Yankees fall over themselves trying to put their horrible seasons behind them.

Someone's going to break a bank trying to sign that high school pitcher from Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 pm 
Shadow Person

redsonsuperman wrote:
Delmon Young and Jose (Papa Grande) Valverde are done as Tigers, says the GM today.

Anibal Sanchez is priority No.1 -- although a boatload of teams will be offering him money.

Other than a corner outfielder, Tigers don't expect to do much in free agency, although nobody expected them to sign Fielder last year.

Josh Hamilton probably won't end up in the D. But what about Justin Upton??? :!: :?: :idea:

For once in a long time, Tigers don't have a shitload of needs. So it could be boring winter.

Still, it'll be fun to see the BoSox and Yankees fall over themselves trying to put their horrible seasons behind them.

Someone's going to break a bank trying to sign that high school pitcher from Japan.

I don't see how the Tiger's season can be called much better than the Yankees one . They played only 4 more games than them , and went home LOSERS too !!!
:P They FAILED in the Series ! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

That's the MM we know and love.

MM is just pissed because the Sox found suckers in LA and unloaded all those bad deals while NY is stuck with A-Rod, Texiera, and other old scrubs. BTW, it was great watching Jeter and Mariano in the playoffs this year, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
That's the MM we know and love.

MM is just pissed because the Sox found suckers in LA and unloaded all those bad deals while NY is stuck with A-Rod, Texiera, and other old scrubs. BTW, it was great watching Jeter and Mariano in the playoffs this year, lol.

Texiera shouldn't be included with the others .
:P Jeter,Rivera and Pettitte have 3 more rings than the Sox have won over the last 16 yrs !!!
:P :P :P :P :P 8)