The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw 1000
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Even I have to give props to Vince for this one.

Post subject: Re: Raw 1000
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

I only saw the extended intro video and it was fantastic. DVRing the show to be watched later tonight. In the immortal words of Gorilla Monsoon, it is going to be a happening !

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

EPIC NIGHT!!!!!!!!! Very happy with a turn of events.
I won't spoil it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:33 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I'll say this, it was better than 9 out of 10 WWE PPVs.
But i came away expecting more, especially in how former greats were utilized.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:47 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

It was like I died and went to Heaven but instead of Baby Jeebus showing me a recap of my greatest hits in a life review, he showed me the greatest 3 hours of wrestling television. And just think: It only took 1,000 episodes to get there. I'm tempted to quit wrestling forever now knowing it will never top that but... DAMN Summer Slam looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:29 am 
Site Admin

redsonsuperman wrote:
I came away expecting more, especially in how former greats were utilized.

This.

Before I commence to bitching, I will say that the opening 3-4 minutes music montage was really the best nostalgia kick of the night. So many great moments that were fun to remember. I've watched that two or three times already and still get a kick out of it.

Now, with regards to the former stars, it seems like WWE has their pool of 'greats' (Piper, Slaughter, Mean Gene, Mae Young, Hacksaw) and this time around they just dipped a bit deeper into their 'legends' pool (Michaels, Taker, Bret, Mankind) but these are guys who haven't been gone for too long. In the immortal words of either Lennie or Carl from The Simpsons, "How 'bout some NEW oldies, geniuses!" I guess those would be Trish, Lita, and the APA, but, again, they haven't been gone that long.

I can't say that I am surprised, but I am disappionted that they also went the route of downgrading their current stars at the expense of 'legends,' Heath Slater is one thing, but the DX beatdown of Sandow and the Rock belittling Daniel Bryan was a bridge too far. Of current stars, only Miz came out looking better tonight, the rest were in bleh matches that were reminiscent of 'special' episodes like the Tribute to the Troops stuff, so they meant nothing. CM Punk did cement himself at the top tier, though, so I guess we should be happy with one big breakthrough tonight.

Mae Young's grown up 'hand son' was great and Sean Mooney was a wasted but awesome surprise. I'm sure there was other stuff I loved, but I'm forgetting most of the nostalgia part of the show already.

Also, too much foolishness with Touts, Tweets, Charlie Sheen, Sonic milkshakes, and other garbage.

With all that said, I loved the CM Punk - Rock - Cena developments. Great long term booking, though I'm afraid it will end up with Cena v. Rock @ Royal Rumble. Turning Punk heel was a surprise, but I think he'll still get the anti-Cena cheers and may even turn Rock a bit heelish in time. I'm all for shades of grey, so long as there aren't 50 of them. Cena & Rock v. Punk & Show @ SummerSlam anyone?

Very puzzled by the AJ development, which could be good or bad. I had a sinking feeling when I saw her pre-wedding locker room and it resembled the classic 'GM office' setpiece they always use (note the framed poster of her in the background), so I wasn't totally stunned.

Lesnar - Heyman - HHH - Stephanie was McMasturbatory, but what else would you expect on the big Raw 1000? At least Heyman was excellent as usual, though I strongly disagree with HHH punking Brock out on their first go-round leading to SS.

An 'In Memorium' segment would have been nice, but they only had 3 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

I missed the first hour so what can I say about it? Well, nothing.

But, though it was good to see Slick, I was really hoping for Brother Love to officiate the wedding. He was no Piper, but I always liked his segments. I was also thinking it would have been funny as hell to see the jilted groom start pile driving the columnar plant stands. Oh well, maybe next time.

it was also so sad for me to see The Hitman in such a state. If only guys like him could wrestle forever. Oh the days of the technician!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

Slick and Hand were really the breakout stars for me. Daniel Bryan upped the ante yet again.

I fear CM Punk is turning heel so Rock can beat him at Summer SLam and we'll have Rock/Cena round 2 where he drops to Cena, thus vindicating Cena's first loss and his roller coaster year.

My only nitpick is that I thought the Intercontinental Title match should have been better. Not sure how. Longer, maybe? It didn't feel important in the midst of everything else.

But I have no problem with how they used the legends. There was a type of logic to it--build week after week and then have them all come out at once like a nightmare to throw Slater back into the ring so that Lita, of all people, could pin him? I'm all for it. I was expecting Steve Blackman so Lita was a pleasant surprise to begin with. Plus, at least this time Michael Cole was respectful.

You realize what's missing from calling a match when JR is back on mic: someone actually calling the match.

I marked for each segment like a kid, pretty much. It just kept building. That's how I saw it, anyway. Not a lot of wasted moments except as Tim said, with tweet and touts and all that. But Charlie Sheen I liked. He was funny enough and hopefully will appear at Summer Slam. I didn't expect him to show, actually.

What was up with X-Pac? I was surprised he didn't get any mic time until he opened his mouth and mumbled something in that backstage segment. Was he drunk?

I didn't expect Stone Cold to show, but where was Nash? Where was Booker for that matter?

Undertaker looks bloated with muscle while HHH looks impressive in a newly sculpted way. How does that happen?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Jeremy Vaeni Sucks! wrote:
I didn't expect Stone Cold to show, but where was Nash? Where was Booker for that matter?

Austin posted on his blog that he recently had knee surgery and didn't want to show up limping around on the show last night. Re: the other guys, I got the impression that it was an almost anti-WCW anniversary show, so that is why we saw no Dusty Rhodes or other non-WWE legends, such as Arn Anderson. Nash and Booker are more famous for their Nitro history, so maybe WWE decided to eschew using them. Not sure what the deal is with Austin.

On the bright side of CM Punk's heel turn, maybe this signals an affirmative that WM will feature Punk v. Austin, which has been talked about for a while now as a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:29 am 
Bilderburger Attendee

Eschew?

Stay fancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Getting Miz back in the title picture was AWESOME.

I thought Vince and Co. wasted a great opportunity to give some of the younger talent a major push. That way the 1000th episode could have been remembered as night so and so really became a player in the company.

Instead, HHH had to be part of two big segments. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Eschew?

Stay fancy.

Always.

redsonsuperman wrote:
I thought Vince and Co. wasted a great opportunity to give some of the younger talent a major push. That way the 1000th episode could have been remembered as night so and so really became a player in the company.

I think the Punk angle did cement him as one of the top echelon stars now. Oddly enough, I'm seeing wrestling pundits claim that the opening segment elevated Damien Sandow by giving him time with DX, but that's ridiculous. That's like saying Spirit Squad was elevated by their feud w. DX. Being treated like a jobber by a major star is not elevation. Being treated like an equal is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:29 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
Eschew?

Stay fancy.

Always.

redsonsuperman wrote:

I think the Punk angle did cement him as one of the top echelon stars now. Oddly enough, I'm seeing wrestling pundits claim that the opening segment elevated Damien Sandow by giving him time with DX, but that's ridiculous. That's like saying Spirit Squad was elevated by their feud w. DX. Being treated like a jobber by a major star is not elevation. Being treated like an equal is.

If that's the case, then One Man Band has been getting one of the biggest pushes in company history over the last month. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: