The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

OK, so it's not WWE, but I flipped over to Impact last night. 1. Man was it horrible but more importantly 2. Who was that fat ass in the track suite?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:25 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I think if TNA got rid of the Hukster and Bischoff they could be entertaining. But unfortunately they are relying on them to bring in viewers. Kinda sad cuz I think competition is better for the fans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:07 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

THe face of the WWE?

" Well it's the Big Show...."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd rather he used a Power Bomb as a finisher than a KO punch, but I'm enjoying the Big Show storyline.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:30 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Im enjoying this storyline too, it seems like now theyve added they Wyatt Family to it as well which is good. Id like to see Big Show vs. HHH at Survivor Series which I think will happen, I cant wait to see who will be in the traditional 5 vs. 5 match either. I didnt understand why they would have Sandow cash in and lose but now I can see Cena keeping the title for a while so I guess getting the briefcase out of the way wasnt a bad call.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Was thinking the Wyatt family, which i think is silly, was used to sidetrack/end the Daniel Bryan/HHH storyline.

At some point the shield will turn on each other but good lord, you would think they would not do it in such a predictable way. They really lack writing talent.

I've said it before, I can't believe how they don't use miz.
All they have for talkers is cena, cm punk and heyman. And Heyman might be getting a break.
Fill that void with the miz.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I think a heel Miz is better than a babyface, its too bad they already have a shitload of top heels.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:40 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Holy crap, cesaro's crazy upper cut on cena was hilarious.

I could actually like him based on that as a finishing move.

It remind me of little Mac in punch out

:mrgreen: :oops: :| :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Paul Heyman is a Hall of Famer.

Nothing short of brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

The ending of this raw was awesome. A nice little teaser with the Wyatt's and the Shield was a great sight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Just listened to Steve Austin's podcast with Jim Ross. Lots of good mid-south stories, jyd and free birds, buzz sawyer, etc.

I could listen to Jim Ross talk about mid-south for hours. Upon reflection, he might actually be in my top 3 when it comes to the wrestling biz. He's the one guy that I always liked, regardless of where he worked.

I can't even say that about Dr. Death (hated varsity club), or dusty (polka dots) or dibiase (million dollar man) or even the road warriors (wwf run sucked)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:41 pm 
Bilderburger Attendee

I've found that for me the problem with the Steve Austin podcast is it has Steve Austin on it. He's just terrible. Crude without being funny. Not brash, or raw, just plain crude. I'm not 11 anymore, I've read a book, that doesn't play with me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I've listened to Steve Austin's podcast once and I was iffy on it. It seemed like he was trying to sell the people on products than talk about anything, but then again I only listened for a little bit. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

VampElvis wrote:
I've found that for me the problem with the Steve Austin podcast is it has Steve Austin on it. He's just terrible. Crude without being funny. Not brash, or raw, just plain crude. I'm not 11 anymore, I've read a book, that doesn't play with me.

Lets be clear, I was endorsing Jim Ross telling stories about his career, most of which centered around his mid-south days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Can't wait to see that 50 years of WWE. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

How a small regional promotion destroyed wrestling and turned the business into "sports entertainment."

Fuck Vince.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure if you are snarking at their ad or not, but WWWF was based in NYC and had Boston, Philly, New Jersey, and CT as part of its territory. Hardly a small regional territory.

WWF succeeded in the 1980's because it invaded other promotions' territories, stole their top stars, and 'stole' the local promotions TV time slots by paying for them (since regional leagues generally got their time slots for free and couldn't compete when WWF offered to pay the stations for the time slot).

While WWF was doing this, the regional territories refused to believe national expansion was inevitable and, by the time they did, it was too late, since they had lost their top stars, TV time slots, and were perceived as 2nd rate or minor league due to national TV coverage of WWF's national expansion. Attempts were made to unite the regional promotions, like Pro Wrestling USA and the AWA Supercard, but multiple agendas and business interests couldn't compete with the singular vision and drive of WWF.

Plus, WWF got in on the ground floor of PPV and proceeded to lock out the NWA/WCW until they had gotten a huge head start. Then the NWA/WCW proceeded to make a bunch of mistakes when they finally did get on PPV.

Bill Watts tried and came close to going national, but it was too late. The oil bust in the mid-south killed the regional economy and the UWF couldn't afford to pay for their TV syndication network, sold out to NWA/WCW, which then was run by imcompetents until the Monday Night Wars, when they got lucky by spending a ton and falling ass backwards into the NWO angle / Hogan heel turn, until they overpaid for under talented stars and had atrocious booking that killed their fan base.

That led Time Warner, now in control of WCW, (which no longer had a sympathetic Ted Turner willing to let them exist in the red forever), to pull the plug on WCW's two signature national TV shows, rendering the promotion virtually worthless. That is when WWF cut a sweetheart deal, bought WCW for pennies on the dollar and established itself as the sole remaining promotion.

Approximately six months prior to the WCW purchase (actually around the same time WWF almost bought WCW the first time), WWF went public with their IPO and gave them an insane financial advantage over any future competitors, assuring them of continued dominance for years, if not decades, to come.

The end, lol.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next