The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Sad to see Ellsbury go, but it was generally accepted that he was not coming back to Boston. Would have preferred he go somewhere like the AL West or the National League, rather than the Yankees, but it's not surprising, since he wanted big money and NY is one of only 4 or 5 teams that could afford him.

With all that in mind, Ellsbury is not a 22 million dollar per year player and definitely not someone I'd want my team locking up for 7 or 8 years. He will be 37 or 38 when the deal ends. I'm thinking that he'll have 2 or 3 good years, followed by 2 or 3 mediocre years, and then 2 or 3 bad years. After the huge hole the Yankees spent themselves into with massive longterm contracts, it's kind of a surprise that they keep doing it with players that probably won't age well.

So, in essence, most everyone in Boston knew Ellsbury would leave, since he wanted huge money and some team would be dumb enough to do it. Unfortunately, the Yankees were that team, which means the Sox have to see him 19 times per season for a long time, but it will ultimately hurt the Yankees in the long run.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Jesus, what a week !

Cano to the Mariners in an insane 10 yr / $240MM year

Beltran to Yankees for 3 years / $45MM

Napoli stays with Sox for 2 years / $32MM

Curtis Granderson to Mets for 4 years / $60 MM

Who's left for major free agents?

Shin-Soo Choo
Masahiro Tanaka
Ervin Santana
Matt Garza
Ubaldo Jimenez
Stephen Drew

That's all that's left from the top 15 of mlbtraderumors top 50 free agents. 4 out of 6 are pitchers. I expect we'll see the pitching market develop now that the major outfielders and catchers have all been scooped up.

I predict we'll see the Mariners try and make some more noise w. either a big signing or a big trade. Anaheim probably wants to get in on something soon to improve their pitching. Red Sox have an overabundance of starting pitching, so they may make some moves. And, despite committing an assload to money to Ellsbury, McCann, Beltran and Kuroda, the Yankees still have an atrocious starting rotation, so they really need to make some kind of move to get a quality pitcher or two. Also, Tampa will probably unload David Price in a blockbuster trade if they can get a steal of a deal.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any pundits compare the Cano signing to when the Tigers got Pudge Rodriguez in 2004. I've heard his signing was the one that kind of turned around the perception of Detroit and made it more attractive to other free agents, which is exactly what Cano's signing is supposed to do for Seattle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:13 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

The pudge reference was talked about a lot on MLB network and in other spots.

Seattle already had some nice pitching pieces.

Meanwhile, there's a pretty good story out there I haven't read yet about how jacked up things really are in seattle's front office,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

redsonsuperman wrote:
Meanwhile, there's a pretty good story out there I haven't read yet about how jacked up things really are in seattle's front office,

It's fascinating: http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. Roy Halladay retires! Kind of a surprise, but not really, since he had been around for 16 years. Sad he never got a ring. He probably would have if he hadn't spent the bulk of his dominant years in Toronto. Once he got to Philly, he did have that playoff no-hitter which followed a perfect game in the same incredible season. A surefire Hall of Famer, IMO, especially since the days of 300 wins as the barometer for entry seem to be over in favor of more specific stats which should heavily favor Halladay's resume.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10108609/roy-halladay-retiring-monday-toronto-blue-jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:05 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Kind of irritated to hear national pundits wax poetically about Halliday as a HOFer in waiting based on the large amount of innings pitched that he put up....

Considering that this is the last year for jack Morris to be on the ballot and all he ever did was rack up 200plus innings every season and rack up an enormous amount of CGs. An ace for 3 different World Series teams.

But he gets knocked for a high ERA. He's the last shot for anyone on the 1984 Tigers getting in the Hall.

tram And Whitaker already got shafted.

Ps yes, I think Halliday deserves to get in the hall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Likely an underrated signing by the Tigers today by picking up Rajai Davis. He killed the Red Sox every time they played the Blue Jays this year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:45 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Mariners signed Corey Hart and Logan Morrison. I know the Brewers were looking a both of them to play first base. Corey Harts stats are pretty good but I never really thought he was as good as his stats, especially playing in hitter friendly Miller Park. Interested to see how well he plays is the less hitter friendly park.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

If the Dodgers sign Tanaka will they be the new Yankees (as in singing a ton of players to huge deals)? Or would they be worse than the Yankees?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Superdanwonder5 wrote:
If the Dodgers sign Tanaka will they be the new Yankees (as in singing a ton of players to huge deals)? Or would they be worse than the Yankees?

Ah, superdan, you jinxed us! Your post is now a moot point...

News just broke that the Yankees will be signing Tanaka on a 7 years / $155 million deal.

This brings NY's added commitments, in just this offseason, to $500 million. Ugh. Let's hope that Tanaka turns out to be a bust.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Haha well I guess nobody can out-Yank the Yankees.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:52 am 
Site Admin

True to form, the Red Sox just signed Grady Sizemore to a $750,000 / 1 year deal. They may get more out of him than some of those big signings of the Yankees this off season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:13 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
True to form, the Red Sox just signed Grady Sizemore to a $750,000 / 1 year deal. They may get more out of him than some of those big signings of the Yankees this off season.

He can make up to $6 million in incentives. So, low risk if he can't get back to form and if they'll be loving his production if he can hit the max on his contract.