The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWE Network
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:38 am 
Site Admin

WWE should be announcing the WWE Network on 1/8 at a press conference in Las Vegas at some big convention.

They have been purposely very quiet about the details on the network, but some big news and developments have leaked out over the last week or so. Here's what we think we know so far ...

*The Network will launch on 2/24/14 on the day after the Elimination Chamber PPV

*It will be internet based (ala Netflix) and not a traditional cable channel. So think of it more like MLB.tv rather than the MLB Network.

*Like Netflix, it will be available via all the various platforms like Roku, Apple TV, game systems, and mobile devices.

*The Network will consist of two components: a 24/7 stream 'channel' plus a vast OnDemand library that will include, at the start, every RAW, Smackdown, and WWE PPV that has ever aired.

*The working plan is to charge ~$10 a month. But they are talking about offering a six month subscription and you'll be able to watch WMXXX on the Network as well.

*Aside from WMXXX, all future PPV events will be available on the network for subscribers. This will essentially cut the price of PPV from $55 to order via cable to $10 for Network subscribers.

Personally, I think this sounds fantastic. It stands to reason that the WCW, SMW, AWA, ECW, and Mid-South libraries will be included in some form or fashion on the network. Hopefully via the OnDemand feature, since you can't easily DVR an Internet stream, as far as I know, so if they air AWA at like 3 AM, you are shit out of luck unless it is OnDemand.

WWE is rumored to be working with MLB Advanced Media on this and they are the industry leaders in this sort of internet-based stream product. That said, while I will be getting the Network, I will also pay the $65 for WMXXX on PPV, because I am highly skeptical about their capacity to stream it for so many people all at once and do not want to miss the biggest PPV of the year because the stream crashes.

WWE wants 1 million subscribers for WM and many, many people are concerned that they just can't stream to that many people at once and not crash. The scary part is that if such a thing happens and they get 1 million subscribers and the stream crashes, they are kind of fucked, because it gives a terrible first impression. Their best bet would be to launch on the day after WM, but WWE apparently wants to hook people with the lure of WM and keep them signed up from there.

No matter what happens w. the WM stream, the Network will fundamentally change WWE going forward unless it quickly folds before 2014 ends, since it will ultimately kill the PPV business and, in turn, likely change the very way that WWE tells 'stories' or promotes, because PPVs will eventually become more like Clash of the Champions type shows and the idea of building to a monthly culmination type show may turn into a thing of the past. Not sure I like that idea, at all, but I'm afraid it is the future of WWE, at least.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Ah :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Vince. He is a smart little devil.
I think the network will be a big success if he's patient. It's going to take a bit of time to get folks to think about the alternative to cable.

But, if wwe holds strong, they will come out on top in the not too distant future.

The gamers have to convince their parents that having channels off their video game system and roku are the way to go Moving forward.

But since I dislike Vince, I will remind TB that he's not always a patient man.

He gave up on the XFL before it even finished the inaugural season.
That was a cluster from the very start

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

The big WWE Network announcement is tonight at the CES conference at 9 PM (ET). It will be streamed on all available WWE platforms.

This easily the biggest WWE development / news story in the last 10 years. Hopefully after tonight we'll know a lot more about the network, including price, available outlets, initial content and much more.

JV dismissed my excitement last night when talking about the network, since he doesn't plan to get it, but, as I warned him, this will be the endlessly hyped product WWE has rolled out in ages to the point that if don't have it, you will feel like you are a step behind. If you think the app plugs are annoying, you will loathe the network, since eventually everything will revolve around it. And, once it is up and running, I expect a major crackdown on pirated material and the widespread removal of YouTube clips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Very impressive show.

Much as I hate Vince, he really is a mad genius.

Not sure why they didn't hype the territory programming more,
You would think that's a selling point..... I mean, they made the Monday night wars a significant part of the launch.

I think the countdown show cold be amazing, although I know I will disagree with most of their no.1s as they will be wwe dominant.

The reality show looks hokey as hell. Tey could have done better than Howard finkel and mege gene.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Just watched the press conference ... this sounds like an amazing endeavor.

Also surprised that they didn't mention much about the territories, but I have a feeling that may be kind of like the 2nd wave of content for the network.

Not sure if it is indicative of anything, but my stream of the press conference from WWE.com was crystal clear and only froze once, for like 2 seconds, and then was fine the rest of the way.

Based on the sheer PPV savings and since had been skipping almost every PPV except maybe 3 a year, I am absolutely getting the network. That's not even mentioning the extra content. Already thinking of old PPV events I want to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:12 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

The price per month isn't bad plus you get all the PPVs, and not to mention every WCW and ECW PPVs. Sign me up!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Very psyched to the Network to launch on Monday. Looking forward to really digging into it with gusto next week.

My understanding is that the territory stuff will not be available at launch. I believe Meltzer said only 5% of their entire library is on the Network to start (or something like that). I presume they'll add the territories into the mix as time goes by.

I also expect we'll see NXT get a huge push as sort of a Network-exclusive promotion. From what I've seen, NXT is pretty damn good. They will have a 2-hour live NXT show on 2/27 as both a Network special and probably to test the stream capacity for a big event.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:41 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Glad I'm off Monday, I'll get to watch some of my favorite PPVs before I head up to Green Bay for Raw.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Holy fuck! You're going to RAW on Monday?! I was just thinking about whatever lucky SOBs got to go to what will likely be an insanely good show. Not sure what you've heard, but I'm hearing two major legends will be returning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:55 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

There's a glut of podcasts out there for wrestling now, but I gotta say I can never tire of Jim Ross.
Hope he has a long run with his new podcast.

Still like colt cabana's podcast.
Pro wrestling torch and Steve Austin depending on guest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:13 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

As soon as I heard Raw was gonna be in Green Bay the day the network launched I knew I had to go. Ive read Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker are gonna possibly show, is that who you heard also?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:30 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Hogan and jimmy Hart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I've heard Hogan, Taker, and Jimmy Hart are almost certainly going to be there.

It's also possible that Sting will be there as well, but I'm more skeptical of that. I'm under the impression that the deal is almost done and that Sting is definitely coming to WWE, finally, but not sure when it will happen. Should be before WrestleMania, but they may save him for the RAW after WM.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Sting to WWE?

As Ron Simmons would say: "DAMN!!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Got the network yesterday.

Streaming channel is excellent. Video OnDemand is glitchy as hell, so far. I've barely been able to watch anything OnDemand today and what I tried to watch yesterday was spotty at best. I did get an episode of NXT to start and run smoothly.

I guess WWE had a huge rush of people signing up yesterday, for obvious reasons, and that caused a huge issue. And, despite a ton of technical problems so far, I wouldn't chalk this up to being a huge disaster. I expect most of the issues will be worked out within the next day or two. If WrestleMania bombs out on the stream, then it will be a nightmare.

Overall, though, I like it a lot so far. I see tons and tons of potential for it.