The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

First order of business ...

Tigers trade Prince Fielder to the Rangers for Ian Kinsler!

Can't believe this trade. RSS, your thoughts? Is this a good move, to break up the Fielder / Cabrera power duo?

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:38 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

I can't believe they traded him 1 for 1 like that. They're gonna need that money they saved to re-sign Scherzer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that was a stunner.

It may hurt Detroit in run production for the next couple of seasons or so, but Fielder is under contract for a whopping 7 more years. I think in years 5, 6, and 7, Detroit will be happy to have let him go.

Despite Robinson Cano's insane asking price of 10 years / 310 million, I'd like to think that those decade-long super contracts are almost a thing of the past. I can't think of any that have panned out and most turn out to be huge mistakes (Pujols, Zito, A-Rod, etc)

The max length of a contract should be 5 years. That is about all I am comfortable with and seems to make the most sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

Stunning trade in the D but it is hard to find any fault in this deal.

They were going to lose Omar infante, so they'd needed a second baseman.
They get a potential new lead off hitter as well in kinsler.

They save more than 70 million off the back end of the fielder contract, even with paying 30 million to the rangers.

It could end up being used to keep scherzer and also they have to prepare to pay to keep Cabrera.

Hard to imagine what production would be late in that contract, hard to imagine he'd be worth the 70 million at that point..

Victor Martinez was plenty of protection for Cabrera in the lineup before fielder came to Detroit.
And they might not be done adding -- they could get a of or even an upgrade at cf still.

He was also nonchalant about season ending in Boston. Those comments looked even worse after it was revealed that the players knew Leland wasn't going to be back before he spoke to reporters.

They move Cabrera back to 1b, and that immediately improved their defense, regardless of who plays 3b.
It could be their top prospect.

The fan base pretty much turned on fielder based on his poor postseason and his words. He said he was only going to gdt a hit if the pitchers made a mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

And most people think Nathan will be sig ing soon to be their closer.

If they get Nathan and choo or Ellsbury, then MLB can just tap out and give the, the trophy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:45 am 
Site Admin

I was going to suggest Ellsbury. I'm not sold on Choo, but haven't seen much of him. I could see the Tigers making a run at Beltran since he'll likely only require a small-ish 3 or 4 year deal at somewhat big money. He seems like the smartest investment of the three, since his requirements seem meager in comparison to his output.

That said, I couldn't help but notice your bold confidence here ...

redsonsuperman wrote:
If they get Nathan and choo or Ellsbury, then MLB can just tap out and give the Tigers the trophy.

I thought that for quite some time season and even into October. Then this happened ...

Baseball is a beautiful game of fantastic weirdness.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

And the big signings begin. Yankees sign catcher Brian McCann to a 5 year / 85 million contract. Kind of happy about this, since I didn't think McCann was a good fit for the Sox, who had expressed interest.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10026267/brian-mccann-agrees-five-year-85-million-deal-new-york-yankees

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

This already is shaping up to be a very interesting off-season. Although I don't read too much into the rumors I enjoy reading them. I just hope the Yankees are stupid enough to give Cano all that money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

RSS ... thoughts on the Fister trade? I'm not sure if I like it for the Tigers or not. Seems like they just couldn't take on any larger contracts and Fister was due to make a sizeable amount in 2014. Good for the Nationals. I expect a bounce back year from them next year.

Meanwhile, the Sox apparently are going to sign AJ Pierzynski to a one year deal and almost certainly cut ties with Salty. I have mixed feelings on this. AJ seems like a total asshole, but maybe I'll like him on the Sox. Wasn't a huge fan of Salty, but he was serviceable and did a decent job while he was here. Never seemed to quite get over that hump, although had a few good streaks in him and almost made the All Star team a few years ago (and fell off a cliff right afterwards).

Apparently the 1 year deal is a good sign that their two catching prospects are almost ready to be called up, but we'll see if they develop into anything. They said that about Lavarnway a couple of years ago and now it looks like he's flamed out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Fans here liked Fister, so there is some outrage that Tigers didn't get enough in return.

I think it makes a lot of sense. They get a young lefty starting prospect-- they don't really have any great lefty prospects in the minors, and few starting options that aren't at least 2 years away. Fister is almost 30 - and if you look at his numbers last season, there were quite a few timeshe was just avg.

Plus, frees the tigers up to devote more money toward keeping Cabrera and/or scherzer in the future. And that is really a top priority

The other lefty will help in the bullpen, and he was also just a rookie last season.

Ad then they pick up another utility guy. Again, nothing that really excites you but depth guys are necessary. This means Ramon Santiago is finished as a tiger.

Also, with fister gone, drew smyly moves into the starting rotation. And it means they are keeping porcello, who was often listed as the most obvious guy to be traded. I never really bought into that though, because he's young, and a change from their other power arms, and they now have a better defense that should only help him be better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:29 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Plus, there are rumors the tigers have signed Nathan. If true, they have their closer.

And if they have a closer, then they are back in the mix as World Series favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Jesus, the hot stove heated up fast today.

Pierzynski to the Red Sox
Nathan to the Tigers
Some kind of three team trade that brings Heath Bell to the Rays
Salty looks to be going to the Marlins on a 2 year deal
and Seattle, of all places, become the front runner for Cano

I'll believe the Cano to Seattle story when it happens. That team is perennially dead on arrival and Cano wouldn't make even a dent in that assessment.

Sad for Salty that he has to go to Miami now, but I guess he'll get more money and it feels like the Red Sox gave up on him first.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 pm 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

Also, Jim Johnson got traded to Oakland for Jemile Weeks which I think is big for Oakland.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:28 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

I think fans in Detroit are wondering why they couldn't get baltimore's closer if that's all it took. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:32 am 
Skull and Bones Flunkie

ESPN is reporting Ellsbury to the Yanks for 7 years 153 million. I never really followed his career but is he really worth almost 22 million a year? What do you think about this Tim/Red Sox fans?