The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 pm 
Shadow Person

What the hell are the Yankees doing ? They need another pitcher !!!! They are lucky they won with 3 starters !!!!
The Yankees got to Lachey in the ALCS !!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:02 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
I worked last night, so I just woke up ... what the fuck !!! I gotta check my baseball news.

Lachey fucking sucks. He is a huge whiner and will not make it in Boston. Ugh. Why are the Sox signing him ?! I am not a fan of this move, even though the experts are saying it is a good one. I guess with Lester, Beckett, Lachey, Dice K, Wakefield / Buchholz, that is a pretty good rotation.

I also guess that w. this signing, Jason Bay is gone. The Sox probably were waiting to see what Bay would do and ended up pulling the trigger on Lachey because he would want way too much money.

I have mixed feelings about the Halladay trade. Nice to see Cliff Lee go to the Mariners, who are going to make a serious run at the AL West now. Also, glad to see that the Spankees did not get Halladay, which was my worst case scenario. Very pissed that the Sox could not get this deal done, but I guess it was too rich for their blood. Looks like Phillies are a lock for the NL East now.

baseball is so friggin' broken.

the whole point of drafting players to get franchise players.
you don't draft franchise players to then trade them before they become free agents for a boatload of other players you hope will one day turn into franchise players THAT YOU WILL IN TURN TRADE AWAY AGAIN because you can't afford them.

Fans should really wise up and boycott at about 25 of those ballparks. Just say no.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

RSS:

Somewhere along the way (probably sooner, but I'm recalling Johan Santana as the first of this instance that I can remember), teams just starting unloading their franchise players w. one year left on their contract because they couldn't / wouldn't sign them to big money deals. Unfortunately, it's almost become the norm now, except for big market teams.

Unfortunately, though, the Tigers' problem is that overloaded on big contracts for veterans with the idea that they would continue to produce (and haven't) and took on too many big contracts. Ordonez as the former, Willis as the latter.

MM:

I'm starting to come around on Lachey as the Sox #3 starter. That said, I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Your beloved Spankees better make a move soon, because their rotation still looks like this: CC, Burnett, Pettite, TBA, TBA.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
MM:

I'm starting to come around on Lachey as the Sox #3 starter. That said, I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Your beloved Spankees better make a move soon, because their rotation still looks like this: CC, Burnett, Pettite, TBA, TBA.

I know !!!!!!!! I thought they would sign Lachey !!!!!! It's like they suddenly got cheap !!!! :x
Can't believe they let the Sox get him! ?
:evil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Someone needs to teach MM how to properly quote on here. Geez, I keep having to go in and fix his posts because he always drops the start tag off the quotes.

Anyway, it seems like this Lackey deal was done on the sly, since there hadn't been any rumblings about it at all in the last few days. Maybe the Yankees were caught sleeping on this one.

Sox are also looking to lock up Beckett to an extension, since this will be his last year. At 29, I expect he'll get a similar deal to Lackey. If the Sox re-sign Beckett, then they should have the rotation set for the next 3 or 4 years and can then concentrate on other matters.

Also, many experts are saying that this move now frees the Sox to shop Buchholz around and maybe pull off that Adrian Gonzalez deal w. San Diego. I'm not sold on that guy either, but he seems like a big bat that the Sox could use.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:59 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

binnall wrote:
RSS:
Unfortunately, it's almost become the norm now, except for big market teams.

That's why baseball's broken. There's this fallacy that half the league or even several teams in baseball are big market teams.

There are only four teams in markets of 10 million or more, the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers and Angels.

In actuality, there are about 6 "big market" baseball teams, and a couple are always in flux based on whether they are a playoff team or not. as soon as they drop off, they go back to being small market."

so that's six teams that, in effect, use the rest of mlb and minor league baseball, as a talent pool.

they'd be better off separating baseball in two pools.

have the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, Phillies, Braves and one other at-large team play in an an 8-team MEGA league.

And then have everyone else play in a second tier. the winner of the second tier gets to play in the mega league the next season.

And if one of the mega teams signs your player, they have to give the second tier team an automatic $10 million payoff, to help keep ticket prices cheap in the small market cities.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:32 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
Someone needs to teach MM how to properly quote on here. Geez, I keep having to go in and fix his posts because he always drops the start tag off the quotes)
Quote:

I know !!! :D Slow at figuring out these things !!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like the Angels have essentially signed Hideki Matsui to play DH.

I didn't think the Yankees were serious about re-signing him anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
Sounds like the Angels have essentially signed Hideki Matsui to play DH.

I didn't think the Yankees were serious about re-signing him anyway.

:roll: It's a bad day in World Championship Yankee-land !!!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm 
Shadow Person

Looks like Phillies are a lock for the NL East now.[/quote]

Do you really think the Phillies got much better ? Lee is great also !!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Admin

You raise a good point, in that Lee is essentially as good as Halladay. But, the Phillies would only have had Lee for one more season but will likely get Halladay for about 4 seasons if not more.

Plus, they only had Lee for half a season last year and will have Halladay for the full season this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 am 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
You raise a good point, in that Lee is essentially as good as Halladay. But, the Phillies would only have had Lee for one more season but will likely get Halladay for about 4 seasons if not more.

Plus, they only had Lee for half a season last year and will have Halladay for the full season this year.

They need more pitching than they have right now . The only 2 teams that have clearly improved at this point are the Mariners and your Sox . The Yanks lost Matsui and maybe Damon . They replaced 2 bats with 1 . They need another starter !!! :roll:
I know that you don't like Lachey,but doesn't it make you feel better that the real winner of your prediction contest (I did get the most points you know) likes him ??? :D :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Wow, more big news from the Sox this evening.

Boston signs OF Mike Cameron to a 2 year deal. Goodbye Jason Bay.

Not sure about Cameron's numbers, but with Scutaro @ SS, Victor Martinez @ Catcher, and Cameron at LF, I think that might be a decent upgrade. Add in one more big bat to play 3rd or 1st and the Sox should be in good shape next year. So much for all that "transition" talk from last week. I guess the outrage in Boston the last week lit a fire under management.

Checking Cameron's stats now ... looks like he's good for about 20+ HR a year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:27 am 
Shadow Person

binnall wrote:
Wow, more big news from the Sox this evening.

Boston signs OF Mike Cameron to a 2 year deal. Goodbye Jason Bay.

Not sure about Cameron's numbers, but with Scutaro @ SS, Victor Martinez @ Catcher, and Cameron at LF, I think that might be a decent upgrade. Add in one more big bat to play 3rd or 1st and the Sox should be in good shape next year. So much for all that "transition" talk from last week. I guess the outrage in Boston the last week lit a fire under management.

Checking Cameron's stats now ... looks like he's good for about 20+ HR a year.

Why did they let Bay go ? The money ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am 
Site Admin

MYSTERYMAN wrote:
I know that you don't like Lachey,but doesn't it make you feel better that the real winner of your prediction contest (I did get the most points you know) likes him ??? :D :lol: 8)

The ironic part is that Lackey bad-mouthed Boston and Pedroia as recently as this past October. It will be interesting how that works out. If Lackey says the right things at the press conference and delivers on the mound, I'm sure I will like him.

lol, I have been waiting for you to stake your claim as the rightful champion of the prediction contest. Already looking forward to your impending BoA:Audio appearance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next