It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

binnall wrote:
The ratings are in ...

WWE -- 3.6
TNA -- 1.5

Best rating for TNA ever. I heard that 1.5 was on the high end of expectations, so they must be thrilled. Also, I heard that the 3.6 is the highest WWE rating in 8 months. The Monday night wars are good for both companies. I could see TNA moving to Mondays by the Spring at this point.

For them to pull their highest rating against Raw, which also pulled it's best rating in several months, is pretty good. Monday night was good for the wrestling business.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

I think they could have used Hart better, what was the point of having him as GM when he didn't do anything with his power. That said this is the second week in row where I've watched RAW from start to finish and actually enjoyed it. They haven't broadcast TNA this side of the pond yet but seen the NWO reunion clips on You Tube and I'll definitely be watching when it's broadcast. I loved Nitro so I should really enjoy it. At last Sports-Entrainment is getting entertaining again. Lets hope this is the first of many new Monday Night Wars.

http://binnallofamerica.com/rr.html
http://www.ufomystic.com/ufo/room-101/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Richard Thomas wrote:
They haven't broadcast TNA this side of the pond yet but seen the NWO reunion clips on You Tube and I'll definitely be watching when it's broadcast. I loved Nitro so I should really enjoy it.

If you loved Nitro then you will love the TNA episode from Monday. It was essentially Nitro 2010.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm 
CFR Fat Cat

Couldn’t resist watched impact on You Tube. Posted some thought’s on the new ratings war on my RFW Sports blog http://rfwsports.blogspot.com/2010/01/m ... eturn.html

Check it out, thanks !!

http://binnallofamerica.com/rr.html
http://www.ufomystic.com/ufo/room-101/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:32 pm 
Merovingian

I don't watch pro wrestling and I have no idea what the differences are between WWE and TNA, but I think if I were to watch any of them it would be TNA because the name is better. A little more marketable if you ask me. TNA Wrestling; it almost sounds as if there is mud on the wrestling match.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:22 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

baemark wrote:
I don't watch pro wrestling and I have no idea what the differences are between WWE and TNA, but I think if I were to watch any of them it would be TNA because the name is better. A little more marketable if you ask me. TNA Wrestling; it almost sounds as if there is mud on the wrestling match.

That was almost the original intent. They was a lot of vulgar, juvenile, hypersexual stuff in their early days (masturbating midgets, wrestling penises, cage dancers, a stable called S.E.X., and many other things) and so the name TNA was a pun on "T and A". However, that kind of stuff fell out of favor (or more honestly, had already fallen out of favor by the time TNA started it) in the wrestling industry as new companies like Ring of Honor and more availability of Japanese and Mexican stuff in the states saw a rise is the popularity of more a more technical and (for lack of a better term) neo-traditional style of wrestling. So they changed direction but are still stuck with the name.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:17 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

Orpheus wrote:
baemark wrote:

That was almost the original intent. They was a lot of vulgar, juvenile, hypersexual stuff in their early days (masturbating midgets, wrestling penises, cage dancers, a stable called S.E.X., and many other things) and so the name TNA was a pun on "T and A". However, that kind of stuff fell out of favor (or more honestly, had already fallen out of favor by the time TNA started it) in the wrestling industry as new companies like Ring of Honor and more availability of Japanese and Mexican stuff in the states saw a rise is the popularity of more a more technical and (for lack of a better term) neo-traditional style of wrestling. So they changed direction but are still stuck with the name.

Now the masturbating midget is a crotch chopping leprechaun who hangs around two middle aged guys who are known to bring out a fat, greased up man in a thong named Big Dick Johnson, he's definately moved up in the world. :lol:

As to the Monday Night shows, I'm sure a few of you are surprised that I haven't said anything about them yet but I wanted to let them digest and not just post thoughts on them based on emotion of the moment.

1) In my opinion, RAW was the big loser on the night. To have the man who was the center of the biggest story in wrestling (until the Benoit murder/suicide) finally appear and confront the people involved in it and not be able to pop a bigger rating than they did (really, a 3.5 or 3.6 isn't much more than they average anyway) considering how much they probably had to pay Bret to do it makes it almost laughable. I'm not sure if that is more a showing of the apathy of the wrestling community to Bret or to WWE's product itself. Other than Bret, it felt like a normal RAW. They need to pull the trigger on the Legacy angle since it's gotten stale and it's time to put DiBiase in the maoin event scene. Sheamus needs to be featured more. They finally give the ball to a young guy to run with and then decide that the game has been called off it seems.

2) TNA...Damn it I was so dissapointed in the debut of the new era. Instead of just debuting a new Hogan flunkie every segment they should've explained a bit more about a few of them and brought new people in over the months. How can you have Ric Flair debut with the company and not give him time on the mic? What was Jeff Hardy doing there? Why did they bother with the Nasty Boys and Val Venis? Ok, let's say that they'll explain more on upcoming Impacts...The problem is they never mentioned that Impact airs on THURSDAYS!!!! If a new viewer tuned in on Monday and doesn't see it usually airs on Thursday tunes in and doesn't see it on Monday they'll either say forget it or tune to RAW.

3) A.J./Kurt was the best match I've ever seen on free TV and maybe one of the best I've ever seen period. They should've ended the show with them n the ring and Hogan looking at them in awe from the ramp with Tenay saying , "THIS IS TNA!" then a fade to black followed by a commercial stating that Impact is every Thursday from 9et-11. Instead we have to have the beatdown in the office so the NWO ver 2.0 can be the loast thing a new viewer sees and totally negates the awesome match they have just seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting bit of news coming out of TNA's pay per view tonight, TNA is officially dropping the six-sided ring and going back to the traditional four-sided ring.

Rumour has it that this is Hogan's doing. I support it.

He's also pushing for a name change for TNA, but I'm doubtful that that will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I was never a fan of the six sided ring. It looks gimmicky and I don't see any real benefit to it over the traditional ring.

As for a name change, I see their reasoning (like the six sided ring, "TNA" sounds gimmicky and evokes the overty sexual nature of its early days), but there's so much tied up in branding, marketing, trademarks, and copyrights that it would be a tremendous pain to change it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:59 pm 
Modern Day Nephilim

Orpheus wrote:
I was never a fan of the six sided ring. It looks gimmicky and I don't see any real benefit to it over the traditional ring.

As for a name change, I see their reasoning (like the six sided ring, "TNA" sounds gimmicky and evokes the overty sexual nature of its early days), but there's so much tied up in branding, marketing, trademarks, and copyrights that it would be a tremendous pain to change it.

He probably wants it to be Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am 
Oil Industry Executive

Last night at the Genesis PPV, the crowd loudly booed the traditional ring and started a "We Want Six Sides" chant. They then booed Hogan when he tried to explain the switch. After Hogan getting booed for his promo on Jeff Jarrett on the Monday night show (which wasn't supposed to happen) and the crowd chanting "Bullshit" about the outcome of the first match of the "new era" (the X-Division Cage match two weeks ago), this marks yet another instance of the crowd not reacting the way they're "supposed to".

In response, tonight prior to the Impact tapings, staff members came out and basically told the crowd to shut up with that crap if they wanted to stay in and watch the show.

Now, while their complaints may have merit, I think this speaks to a broader problem- Chiefly, they need to get the hell out of Orlando. That crowd is too smart to the product, too involved and they have a tremendous feeling of entitlement. I've actually said this for a few years now, but this underscores it quite a bit. The days of "studio wrestling" have been dead for 20 years and the business is radically different now, but TNA is basically run like an old school studio show. They need to expand their touring and start having Impact at different places with more regularity. They'll have to if they want to succeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Now there are reports that Awesome Kong beat up Bubba the Love Sponge at last night's tapings because of the comments he made about Haiti on Twitter (or his awful show. I don't listen to that crap so I have no idea where it was said) and both were sent home. Then the reason Scott Hall didn't wrestle at Genesis was because he put on his trunks for the first time in a while and realized how out of shape he was and begged and pleaded not to go on. Waltman (who also didn't want to go on) ended up taking his place.

This is great. It's been two weeks, and the dysfunction of WCW has already manifested in totality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:11 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

Now there are reports that Alyssa Flash (Cheerleader Melissa/Melissa Anderson) has turned in her notice as well. with other, as yet unnamed wrestlers contemplating doing the same

Hogan is really turning things around, Brother!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

scratch that original post title as TNA is planning on doing another Monday show on March 1st, 2 hrs. head to head against Raw. This is great ! If this keeps up, TNA should be weekly on Mondays by the Summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

scratch the 2nd title to this post as it has now been revealed that Impact moves to Mondays full time starting March 1st.

Quote:
The current plan is for TNA Impact to move to Monday nights beginning in March, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The plan is for TNA to hold live shows every other Monday for the most part, and the shows taped on Tuesdays will air the following Monday.

So the Monday night wars return, in earnest, starting in March !!