The United States of Esoterica

Official forum of binnallofamerica.com
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 am 
Site Admin

NESN is the Boston Red Sox cable network. Huge coup for them to get Gammons, who is a MA native and started out @ the Globe.

Looking forward to seeing much more of my favorite baseball reporter during the season.

Nice signing, as well, for MLB Network.

"An artist has got to be constantly in a state of becoming." -- Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:08 am 
Modern Day Nephilim

he's one of the giants. when he says something, you believe it. good that he's going back home in a sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:29 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

A big loss for ESPN as far as I'm concerned.

He has had some fairly major health problems recently.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:40 pm 
Friend of the Illuminati

I think it shows just how little ESPN cares about baseball. It really seems that the majority of their reporting (year round) is football and basketball. In fact, I have ESPN and E2 both skipped on my tv. I turn it on if a NASCAR race is on but other than that I never watch them. What's worse is ESPN Radio...I can't stand Cowherd if you are a fan of anything but the NFL or the Yankees or Red Sox you're an idiot in his opinion. The company as a whole is a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:13 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

I don't even really watch ESPN anymore. Their NFL reporting is shit (ALL FAVRE ALL THE TIME. Saints are 12-0? Who cares! Vikings are the team to beat! FAVRE FAVRE FAVRE!!!!"), their NCAA Football reporting even worse (USC! Big 10! USC! Big 10!) the NBA is a clothing and marketing firm that happens to have a "sport" attatched to it and I feel like punching myself whenever they start talking about it, and I don't give a damn about golf, NASCAR, or hockey.

I'm also sick of squares like Stu Scott and Scot Van Pelt trying desperately to be hip. It disgusts me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:26 pm 
Member of Trilateral Commission

Quote:
I'm also sick of squares like Stu Scott and Scot Van Pelt trying desperately to be hip. It disgusts me.

Ugh! Stuart Scott is unwatchable. I really don't know how he has stayed with ESPN for as long as he has. Don't even get me started about Chris Berman. 'Pardon The Interruption' is hands down the only decent original programming that ESPN has.

The amount of melodramatic "coverage" that they have given to the Tiger Woods scandal is nauseating. I remember when I could turn to the "deuce" and watch Denise Austin, Lacrosse or the World's Strongest Man competitions...now they just mirror the shows on ESPN.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm 
Oil Industry Executive

ESPN having an effective monopoly on sports reporting has been very harmful over the last decade or so. There is no accountability at that network (and its apparently run like a billion dollar frat house, is rumors are to be believed.). They have analysts talking about games/teams they clearly haven't watched (It took them until around week 8 or 9 to admit that the Saints defense was vastly imrpoved over recent years. Up until then, they'd kept calling it a weak spot despite the fact that the stats clearly showed it wasn't.), they've got way too many cooks in the kitchen and have people that seem to serve no real purpose, they've got too many clowns like Skip Bayless in their employment, who cares not about facts and logic, but only saying over the top crap that will get people to pay attention to him.

I really do hate the network. I only watch PTI (like Wilbon, hate Kornheiser) and Around the Horn (even though I'd like to kick Jay Mariotti in the teeth). The rest of their programming is trash.